Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

So, how much energy is in the wheels, and how much benefit is there in going lighter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 01:25 PM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very cool

Old 05-09-2006, 09:28 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope my wife never reads this message

Thanks all. I put smaller wheels and tires on my convertible . . . all a saga of trying to get a deal on rims to eventually put winter tires upon . . . but can't bring myself to toss out the rubber until its worn down. So I saved 8 pounds on each wheel/tire and have a diameter of 24 inches instead of 24 1/2, more or less.

Despite the obvious math the smaller, lighter tires give a distinct impression of quickness. Some is due to the fact they aren't runflats and so are not passing back heavy breathing and horror movie music from the road. Some is due to an effective lower gearing. Some might be due to rotational weight . . . hardly matters since it feels quick. Because it feels quick I find myself driving quickly'

To use a bicycle example . . . as I get older I can afford lighter rims. However, I am heavier. So if I save 50 g. on the rims and gain 25 lbs, does the bike feel faster. You betcha! And no younger lighter rider will hang back to contradict me.

For those of you turly concerned with speed, I'm sure lighter wheels and tires help mostly with handling. The energy calculations are most interesting (energy, work . . . keeping track of the units is most tedious). So from that standpoint, if I get back to my high school weight, about 165 lbs, it will be the equivalent of spending $3000 for wheels! How much can I save by having my wife loose weight?

Old 05-10-2006, 06:44 AM
RHM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Here's a real world measurement by some guys who were having way too much fun:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=776885

They progressively shed weight off a Sentra and measured its acceleration.
Their first step was to replace 19" wheels with 15", taking 13 lbs off at each corner.

Step 1: Baseline
Curb Weight: 2,762 lbs
1/4 Mile:16.3 @ 84.0 mph
60-foot:2.9 sec.
0-60 mph:8.6 sec.

Step 2: 15-inch Wheels
Curb Weight:2,707 lbs
1/4 Mile:16.0 @ 85.5 mph
60-foot:2.8 sec.
0-60 mph: 8.1 sec.
The smaller diameter wheels may be the cause of the quicker acceleration.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:11 AM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RHM
The smaller diameter wheels may be the cause of the quicker acceleration.
The rolling diameter only decreased from 25.2" to 24.9", which would register as less than a 1MPH difference on the speedometer.

Old 05-10-2006, 08:23 AM
flyboy2160
4th Gear
Originally Posted by BlueBonnet
I hope my wife never reads this message .... if I get back to my high school weight, about 165 lbs, it will be the equivalent of spending $3000 for wheels! How much can I save by having my wife loose weight?
i'm sure there's one of those mastercard "priceless" ads somewhere in there, with things about keeping your wife happy, expensive wheels, go fast grin....

Old 06-08-2006, 07:28 AM
acitydweller
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
eeee...? stock wheels are too heavy imho. the braking effort and
distance is much shorter with the Comps.
I second that. I purchased 16" rota slipstreams to replace my stock 15's on my acura integra.

Even though it was an inch larger, the braking and accelleration response was immediately felt... More so after the 500 miles break in for the new es100's.

Im glad I can use my wheelsets from my integra with my new MCS :D

Old 06-10-2006, 08:42 AM
GoodFinder
4th Gear
To maximize the contact patch, if one were to significantly reduce the tire/wheel combination weight compared to stock setup, wouldn't you need adjustments to the suspension, too?

GoodFinder

Old 06-10-2006, 08:57 AM
DeadEye
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Thameth
Dr Obnxs,

I don't think your understanding the entire concept correctly. First off the MCS is 2640lbs not 2800lbs, not sure where you got that number.
Sadly enough I put mine on a scale and got 2810 :( ( Me the Kid and a full tank was 3000 :(((

Old 06-13-2006, 07:26 AM
silver99
2nd Gear
All this is fine and good, nice talk going but...

1400$ on lightweight wheels and tires

OR

1400$ spent on track time with your local HPDE

what will gain you more?

Food for thought.

Old 06-13-2006, 08:01 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bit of an odd comparison...

Originally Posted by silver99
All this is fine and good, nice talk going but...

1400$ on lightweight wheels and tires

OR

1400$ spent on track time with your local HPDE

what will gain you more?

Food for thought.
I got some lighter wheels for about $130 each. Sure, they're not SSR Comp light, but they shed 4-6 lbs per corner. And the tires get bought anyway if you drive hard, so you get "step up" to lighter wheels for less than the cost of most cat back systems!

And the above discussion only concerns the benefits to acceleration, but there are also benefits in unsprung weight that effect handling in many, some pretty suble, ways.

At the prices I pay, it was about 2 track days cost equivalent to shed the weight....

Matt

Old 06-13-2006, 08:31 AM
Craig_N
2nd Gear
For street applications, durability is as important as weight. Running SSR Comp's through downtown Baltimore would not be a good idea. A quality, lightweight cast wheel might be a better choice – more durable than a true forged wheel, but significantly lighter than stock.

If one is looking for a performance boost, for street applications again, there are plenty of cheaper alternatives than ultralight wheels and tires. Its simply not a very big “bang for the buck” modification.

For competitive autocross, the lighter the better. Ultralight wheels matter more in stock classes, where there are very few allowed modifications. Basically, if a part is lighter than stock, and is an allowed modification, the competitive guys will buy it.

Automotive engineers have to build cars within a budget, making compromises with price, performance and NVH. What comes stock on the car may not be the “ideal” choice, but for the price, performance and levels of NVH that the designers were looking for, it may work just fine. An individual car owner’s priorities may be different, and that is where the aftermarket comes in.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:39 AM
DeadEye
3rd Gear
I would probably be best to get track / Sport tires just to save the *regular* street tires and then spend more money on tunning the nut behind the wheel... ( nothing personal ) track time.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:42 AM
Craig_N
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DeadEye
I would probably be best to get track / Sport tires just to save the *regular* street tires and then spend more money on tunning the nut behind the wheel... ( nothing personal ) track time.
Competitive autocrossers almost always use a special set of wheels/tires for competition. Even in "street tire" classes. Tire Trailers are very popular.

I have three sets of wheels/tires - autocross (my OEM's with Toyo RA-1's), summer (Team Dynamics with Falken Azenis) and winters (15" OEM's with Nokian RSi's).

Old 06-13-2006, 12:17 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
And FWIW....

when I finally did do a corner balance, mine weighed in at 2610..... But for the puroposes of the model, that difference isn't significant. The whole point of this thread, long long ago, was to shoot down those "pearls of wisdom" that there's a huge multiplier in effective weight savings going to lighter rotating wheels....

Matt

Old 06-13-2006, 01:49 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
The whole point of this thread, long long ago, was to shoot down those "pearls of wisdom" that there's a huge multiplier in effective weight savings going to lighter rotating wheels....
So.... has there been any conclusion? Many of the technical arguments and thought experiments seemed reasonable, but their validity needs to be verified against measurements.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
You just can't argue the physics...

this is just simple math. And the numbers do seem self consistant, but it's not anything I'll ever test. Here's why. Our cars are pretty variable depending on idle time, IATs and the like. So each measurment will have some variability. The differences are going to be pretty small, so you have to take a lot of measurements to get the resolution to "see" the answer.

But the "effective mass" is a calculatable number.

Matt