Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Rear wheel well trimming

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 12:25 PM
DunWaiten
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear wheel well trimming

I'd like to find out about trimming the rear wheel wells to make larger tires and/or different wheel offsets fit. Looking through threads here, there are lots of mentions of trimming, though I couldn't find any photos of what people have done. Can anyone point to some photos?

Are both the wheel well liner and the arch trimmed?

Does the trimming cause any problems, such as allowing water, dirt, and salt into areas from which they're normally excluded?

It seems that if enough people trim their cars, there might be an aftermarket kit offered for wheel well liners or arches, though I haven't seen support for larger tires/lower offsets mentioned in any of the body kits.

Old 04-26-2005, 01:13 PM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
check www.webbmotorsports.com look through the how to's I believe he has some pictures of wheel well trimming

Old 04-27-2005, 02:46 AM
AC_MINI
5th Gear
Sorry rataha but I did't find any pic from the web site.
www.webbmotorsports.com

Old 04-27-2005, 07:11 AM
DunWaiten
2nd Gear
Found some photos

At MINI2 I found some photos of wheel liners removed from the car, showing wear from rubbing, and showing some portions cut out.

http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthrea...im+wheel+liner

I'm not able to tell from the photos how much extra room is available after trimming.

Haven't found any info about sealing the areas against dirt, water and salt, or of aftermarket parts.

Old 04-29-2005, 12:03 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DunWaiten
I'd like to find out about trimming the rear wheel wells to make larger tires and/or different wheel offsets fit. Looking through threads here, there are lots of mentions of trimming, though I couldn't find any photos of what people have done. Can anyone point to some photos?

Are both the wheel well liner and the arch trimmed?

Does the trimming cause any problems, such as allowing water, dirt, and salt into areas from which they're normally excluded?

It seems that if enough people trim their cars, there might be an aftermarket kit offered for wheel well liners or arches, though I haven't seen support for larger tires/lower offsets mentioned in any of the body kits.
Here ya go (the how to nip and tuck a wheel well)-
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ead.php?t=6618

Some junk is going to get in some closed off areas. Do a minimal trimming and it should be OK.

Usually the liner of the wheel well gets trimmed but my arch edges are sometimes rubbed a bit if I go a bit too low with my coil overs. Ouch.
Ooops- too low again.