Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Do I Need A BBK?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Zociac
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do I Need A BBK?

I was very surprised to see these TonyB's photos of Tony Nuzzo MINIs. Stock calipers front and back. What also looks to be stock rotors too. Not even brass bushings!

Front:

Back:

If I only do track days a few times a year why would I need BBKs unless money is burning a hole in the pocket.

Old 05-03-2005, 07:13 PM
JeffS
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe Grand Am rules allow him to run anything other than stock brakes, so he doesn't have a choice.

That said, stock brakes with race pads are almost always sufficient for a school situation.

Old 05-03-2005, 07:26 PM
Zociac
3rd Gear
Thanks for pointing that out. I was very impressed with the no nonsense approach to his car preparation. Heck! It make many of our modified cars look like high school kids dressing up for prom.

Originally Posted by JeffS
I don't believe Grand Am rules allow him to run anything other than stock brakes, so he doesn't have a choice.

That said, stock brakes with race pads are almost always sufficient for a school situation.

Old 05-03-2005, 07:31 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an AP racing BBK because I enjoy the performance difference. Do I need it? Not any more than any of the other mods I have done. It's a hobby for me and it tweeks my car that much more. It is not necessary, just (for me) desireable.

Old 05-04-2005, 06:37 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Let's be honest. There are two main reasons for the BBK;

1. They look good.
2. They extend the operational level for high heat applications.

The first point is what makes the world go 'round. Not eveyone wants the same thing just like a lot of other parts for a car.

The second issue is where the meat is. The larger BBK often allows you to achieve the same braking need over and over with less taxing work on the parts. Think of it as buying 'extended operating range'. You can run a stock system at 95% capacity and be ok perhaps, or you can go larger and get the same results at only 80% capacity of the product. Thus leaving a greater reserve for the time when you may really need it.

Do you "need a BBK" for track days? No. Would it help? Yes. However unless you are fading the existing brakes or serious about the true performance gains of most fixed multi piston set ups (better pad choice, thicker pads, quicker response and release, better feel) then stock parts are fine. For a first timer on open track days your money is better spent on learning technique and getting valuable seat time than spending it on go fast/stop fast parts.

Old 05-04-2005, 07:20 AM
Zociac
3rd Gear
Todd,

Thanks for the straight shot answers without sugar coating it. I cannot agree more of what you said.

As I am no where pushing the limit of the car so for now I am keeping much of it stock so I know the limits, virtues, and short comings until I get more seat time.

Among the BBKs I like the Wilwood best.

Old 05-04-2005, 09:18 AM
tontobird
5th Gear
There are also many other opportunities for improvement before going to a BBK. Fluid, pads, lines, ducting, lighter wheel/tire combo......