Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Large Spacers?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 09:10 AM
supercoopers
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Large Spacers?!

Hi,

I was wondering if those who are more technically inclinced than myself could help me in this 'conumdrum.'

I have Kei racing 18" x 7.5" rims with a +42 offset I believe. They are running brand new Pirelli P Zero Nero tyres as well (215/35/18).

I wish to purchase a big brake kit, most notably this one:

http://www.gtt.uk.com/brakes.asp

The thing is, in test fitments it appears as though I will need 15-20mm spacers up front for my wheels to fit.

I've had spacers on other cars in the past, and they have caused wheel bearing to do bad quite quickly, so I dread to think what large spacers on my newest car will do.

A few questions:

1) Is it verifiably insane (in terms of risk and potential damage) to run spacers this large on the street?

2) Should I just give up the whole idea of fitting a BBK with these wheels and sell up and get some that accommodate a BBK without spacers? (the ideal scenario here I think).

3) Forget the massive Porsche brake system and go with something smaller like the Wilwood or UUC kit?

I'm not even sure if my wheels will clear the fender with a 15mm spacer up front and 7.5" width...anyone care to guess the outcome of such a 'trial?' I would probably have to widen up the rear track as well by putting 5mm spacers out back...gets pretty expensive all in.

Please help me out. This decision is driving me up the wall!

Cheers,

Henry

Old 05-28-2005, 09:16 AM
AC_MINI
5th Gear
I don't think you really need the spacers for this. Running with 18" - 7.5" is find but I am not 100% sure. Maybe someone from NAM may help you on this.
Anyway can you show me your 18" rims

Old 05-28-2005, 09:32 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it'd require not only a huge cosmetic makeover with a dremel... but you'd defenitely have vibrations... and wear out the wheel bearing...

but i also thought the gt tuning calipers should fit the 17s no problem...

if you want serious stopping power, stoptech, tarox, brembo, also makes huge bbks... i was hopin to get the tarox 6 pot myself..... till i found the cost

Old 05-28-2005, 10:18 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i wouldn't do it. The wheels/tires are going to stick out from your

fender arches pretty bad too...

Old 05-28-2005, 10:53 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
It's got nothing to do with the size of his wheels, or the offsets really. It's about the wheel design. Please don't tell folks that "it should fit" if you don't understand what he's dealing with.

The added spacers would not be my first choice either. At the least you'll need a stud kit and some very nice HUB centric spacers. Where that puts your final fit remains to be seen.

Here's some info on how to check this very issue:
http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/wheel_fit.html

Old 05-28-2005, 11:03 AM
dkstone
4th Gear
I have used 20mm spacers for some time with Brembo BBK and R90s, I used the H&R hub centric ones. yes they will stick out a little but as for bearing failure, I ran that setup for about 50K miles with no issue, I now use Kosei K1 TS and 10mm spacers.

Old 05-28-2005, 10:36 PM
supercoopers
3rd Gear
Thanks for all the replies!

AC_MINI,

My wheels are 18x7.5 yes, but as Todd has already mentioned, the spoke design plays a large role in whether or not there will be caliper to spoke clearance available. I bought an AP brake kit over a year ago just after buying my wheels and when it came to offering the wheels to the fitted brake kit, it looked as though I would need 10mm spacers (doh!). I returned the kit for a full refund but it was a very nice piece of work I must say and very reasonably priced :smile:

Kyrian,

The GT Porsche calipers are huge (12"!) and are fitted with a special caliper adapter etc. I like the quality of this kit, but am concerned about component availabilty and cost beyond the initial purchase price and also the huge spacers issues. I am looking at all available options as well. So far the AP kit and Tarox kits are half the price of the GT kit and offer serviceability peace of mind without the need for such large spacers...

Toddtce,

Thanks for your input and also for your URL. It's much appreciated, but to be honest, I really don't want to have to go to the hassle of importing products from abroad since everytime I do I get shafted in import duty and seriously hefty courier costs. It's not worth the hassle for me anymore, plus I would have to do the same every time I wanted replacement parts. Maybe you could make Mini Mania UK an agent of yours in the UK? That way you would be reaching customers across the pond as well...just a thought :smile:

DKStone,

I am so glad that you could chime in on this one because you are one of the few NAM users I know that has run large spacers (to get the Brebo GT kit to fit etc, I saw your posts some time ago :smile: ).

Interesting to hear that you did not have any trouble with the bearings in 50K miles. I was thinking of either the eibach hub centric spacers or the H&R ones, with longer bolts of course.

I think that you may have the same suspension setup as me (PSS9?) but if you are lowered at all, can you tell me by how much please? I don't want the wheels rubbing on the arches either during hard cornering. Also, when you say the wheels will stick out a little from the arches, could you guesstimate how much in mm please? Obvisouly our wheels are different widths and offsets so that will affect the final positioning, but it will give me a rouch idea :smile:

Thanks again all and if there is anyone else who wants to add something, please don't be shy and post your thoughts!

Cheers,

Henry

Old 05-28-2005, 10:38 PM
supercoopers
3rd Gear
Here's one for AC_MINI as well:

My wheels

Attached Thumbnails Large Spacers?!-14657kei-racing-alloys_v-light-med.jpg  
Old 05-29-2005, 06:12 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, expensive wheels come with different discs that have nothing to do
with offset when it comes to caliper clearance. Using spacers to
make wheels fit is like the last resort, but many people do it.

50k miles..hummm... that's very convincing.

Old 05-29-2005, 11:52 AM
dkstone
4th Gear
Wen I get back to NY from Florida I will post a few picks with Kosei K1 TS and BBK that I sent to Alex @ Tirerack for his web site.

Yes I am lowered about 1 inch all around and no rubbing, PSS9 set on 9 all around for street use. When using the 20mm with the OEM S lites they stick out about 10mm, 10mm with the R90s are just about flush with the faring, 10mm with the Kosei's about the same as the R90s. At the track I run Kosei with Hoosiers 205/40/17 with no rubbing, also sometimes I use the street setup on damp days which is Khumo 215/45/17 with no rubbing, I am presently using Goodyear GS DS 215/45/17 with no rubbing.

Hope this info helps you

BTW replacement rotors and hardware to mount them to the hats can be very expensive they are in the area of $420 per wheel.

Old 05-29-2005, 12:11 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by supercoopers
Maybe you could make Mini Mania UK an agent of yours in the UK? That way you would be reaching customers across the pond as well...just a thought :smile:
Cheers,
Henry
Have someone on your side get in touch with me. I'd consider a local 'dealer' of sorts.

Old 05-30-2005, 05:17 AM
supercoopers
3rd Gear
Thanks again for all your advice again guys :smile:

DKstone,

I would love to see those pictures you sent to Alex when you have time and are back in NY. I am beginning to feel comfortable with the idea of using larger spacers since people are out there, such as yourself, putting them to the test without issue. Your input is invaluable. I think that I may well go ahead and fit the GTT brake kit since the quality is astonishing and with those calipers and 342mm disks, stopping on a dime takes on a whole new meaning!

I think the key to being safe is in getting high quality hub-centric spacers and appropriate high-quality wheel bolts.

ToddTCE,

With regards finding a vendor in the UK, I can recommend that you talk to James at Minispeed (www.minispeed.co.uk) since they are a great supplier and deal with alot of American-only products (they are the only place in the UK to now stock the full Alta range and Wilwood brake kits). I am sure that they would be interested in becoming a UK representative for your company :smile:

Henry