Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Wilwood Brake tapping noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 10:24 PM
pyugala
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wilwood Brake tapping noises

I have never use a BBK or racing break it before and I'm not too sure if it is common to hear tapping noices when the brake pedal is pressed even at the slightest touch. I don't hear it when the car is stationary, only when it is moving. Any thought

Thanks

Old 06-01-2005, 03:39 AM
pyugala
3rd Gear
After a chat over the phone to the mechanic installing my brake. He said it could be the noise from the brake pads which move forward and backward as the rotor spin. The pads tap the calipers when they move. He said because my brake kit did not come with some sorth of spacer that you put behind or on the side of the pads.

Any commence?

Thanks

Old 06-01-2005, 05:31 PM
pure&simple
3rd Gear
I don't see how pads could be tapping against a rotor if everything is properly aligned. But then again, I'm not a mechanic...

Do the brake pads sound like they are loose inside the caliper? I had an issue with pads rattling inside the caliper on my Audi. There was a anti-rattle clip - which was part of the pad IIRC - that was not installed properly and was not properly seated inside the caliper. It would rattle over bumps. Didn't seem affected by brake pedal use, so maybe it was a different problem...

Old 06-01-2005, 05:49 PM
DanStoren
3rd Gear
my Wilwood pads are almost too snug

I've raced the past couple weekends, and when I change from street to race pads in my Wilwoods, the pads are kind of tough to pull out. They're in there very snug!

The only time I've heard a sound is when (a) the Wilwoods were hitting the balancing weights on my SSR Comps and (b) when the front lug nuts came loose at the track and needed to be re-torqued.

Sorry that I'm not much help.

Old 06-01-2005, 06:09 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd say it's basic pad rattle. To a racer this is music to your ears- it means no pad drag. To the stree guy it can be annoying but not problematic.

The DP (and FSL) have 'anti rattle plates' in them at the top and bottom of the pad window. They can become soft in spring tension.

Pull the clips out and bend them a bit tighter and replace them. If more tension is desired you can either 1, put a drop of silicone under the clip before you put the clip on and let it set before installing the pad or 2, take a punch and chisel and dimple or mushroom the pad plate a bit at the edge to apply more tension to the clips.

However...do not try to make the pad too tight or you'll have excessive pad drag and thus higher wear and temps.

Old 06-03-2005, 02:53 AM
pyugala
3rd Gear
Thanks Todd.