Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

15" Tire Pressure questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 07:32 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15" Tire Pressure questions

I have an '05 Cooper with the 175/65 R15 Conti tires.

Just over 5,000 miles (which is typically when I rotate). The center of the tires are down to the wear bars on the front.

Here's the kicker, the Door plate says 35psi front and back. Which is what I run religously (check every Sat morning).

But the tires are wearing as if they are over-inflated. So I check the Owners manual. It says for original tires use the pressure on the door plate, but then goes on to have a chart of pressures for all various OEM tires.

For the P175, the manual states that for 2 passengers use 30f/35r PSI, for 4 passengers and luggage 35f/35r PSI.

Well no wonder my tires are showing signs of over-inflated wear, I am the only one in the car, and I am running 5psi over.

My questions:
1. What pressure should I run up front 30 or 35?
2. Anyone else had this problem?
3. Do I have any recourse with MINI, because of the conflicting or mis- information between the door plate and manual?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 06-02-2005, 08:19 AM
plantain
2nd Gear
I also have an MC with the same 15" tires as you do, and noticed the discrepancy between what the door plate says and the manual says.

However, I have been noticing that my wear has been fairly even. I've been keeping my fronts inflated at 33 psi and the rears at 35 psi. I'd say 95% of the time I'm the only one in my car too (I carpool during the week with an additional front passenger).

It's possible that your tire pressure gauge might be off - I've owned several, and I think the most accurate, in terms of getting consistent measurements, are the big dial shaped ones. However, the scale is not necessarily calibrated. I've noticed those can be off by as much as 3 psi.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:30 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by plantain
It's possible that your tire pressure gauge might be off - I've owned several, and I think the most accurate, in terms of getting consistent measurements, are the big dial shaped ones. However, the scale is not necessarily calibrated. I've noticed those can be off by as much as 3 psi.
Possible but not likely. I have a Craftsman electronic gauge, a dial shaped one like you discribe, at least half a dozen old stick type, and a 8hp 100Gal Ingersol Rand compressor that has a really expensive adjustable air/guage limiter cut-off.

I normally use the Craftsman electronic gauge, I have tested most with the compressor, and find that the Craftsman, and Dial gauge are the most accurate.

Steve

Old 06-02-2005, 10:26 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
5k miles and down to the wear bar....wow.

I would use 30-32psi in that case. Tires with large profiles
tend to balloon when going expressway speeds..or burnouts.
but only 5k?...hummm.

My commuter 04Civic which is about 10months old runs
185/70/14's and they still look brand new at 4k miles.
I run 31-32psi on that car.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:38 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kenchan
5k miles and down to the wear bar....wow.

Tires with large profiles
tend to balloon when going expressway speeds..or burnouts.
but only 5k?...hummm.
The 5000 miles are comprised of my trip to and at the Dragon (1700). Wear is not from Dragon runs because of the wear pattern, the outside edges are fine. The tires looked ok after the dragon. The rest of the miles are commuting 45+ miles round trip to work in semi stop and go on surface streets.

I am sure it is from running 35psi. That is why I am upset, cause that is what MINI says to run, on the door plate at least!

Steve

Old 06-02-2005, 05:14 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Check tire pressures cold. Try and double check with another reliable pressure gauge.

Are all tires wearing in the center or only certain ones?

Try 32 psi front and rear.

If your MINI is not being loaded down much then you can go less on the tire pressures.

Tire gauges have been known to be off a little. The tire tread wear is a good indicator that something is not right.

For four people, 35 psi is fine.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:52 PM
mielnicki
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
Check tire pressures cold. Try and double check with another reliable pressure gauge.

Are all tires wearing in the center or only certain ones?

Try 32 psi front and rear.

If your MINI is not being loaded down much then you can go less on the tire pressures.

Tire gauges have been known to be off a little. The tire tread wear is a good indicator that something is not right.

For four people, 35 psi is fine.
I always check them cold. Re-read my previous post about tire gauges.

Only the fronts, the rears are fine.

I would try 32, but it is almost too late for these tires. Read my first post as to the conflicting info about tire pressure from MINI.

One person in the car, me.

Steve