Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Stock rims/tires for track day?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 07:23 PM
jggonzalez
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock rims/tires for track day?

I'm getting my '05 MC in August and am planning to attend a track day in January (provided I don't spend all my money on mods). My car will be set up with the 15" holeys, stock tires, SS+ suspension and sport seats. I've been looking at new tires, either 195/60/15 or 205/55/15, and am thinking of wearing my stock tires out at the track day and then buying new ones in a wider size. What does everyone else think? I should point out that I'm married and a daddy, hence my budget is limited.

Old 06-06-2005, 07:42 PM
tsprayfhs
3rd Gear
I hope you will enjoy the track, I know I do. This year I'll be on about a dozen different track for around twenty days. Use your current tires first. See if your, and your family, really enjoy it. Yes to me it is a family thing. Are there better tires ... yes. Are they faster, stickier, more suited? Yes, yes, and yes. So what. Take what you have see if you enjoy it and if so ask a lot of questions at the track and you will find a tire that suits your driving needs and your billfold. You are going to get a lot of advice; however, take your time. Get som experience before you tie up a lot of money. I still have a set of runflats mounted and ready to go. They are my when every thing else fails tire. They are hard, old, and slick but they still put a big smile on my face. See you at the track.

Motor on

Old 06-06-2005, 08:00 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, you certainly won't wear your tires much on your first track day, especially the stock tires.

I guess I would have to agree that you should just go do your track day with what comes with the car. Take it one track day at a time. If you love it then do give yourself permission to modify. I'm just not sure that tires would be the first mod if you track your Mini. If you don't tune your suspension correctly, then you'll just eat up the new tires twice as fast, if not faster.

Get ready to get hooked ....

Old 06-07-2005, 08:28 AM
jggonzalez
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by onasled
I'm just not sure that tires would be the first mod if you track your Mini. If you don't tune your suspension correctly, then you'll just eat up the new tires twice as fast, if not faster.

Get ready to get hooked ....
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not really concerned with speed, since I know that being in a stock MC means I'll be moving over a lot for all the MCS cars at the track. I'm more interested in learning the basics and trying to develop smoothness. As for the suspension, I'm probably going to stick with the SS+ suspension for quite a while. I really want to upgrade to the AK Monza 16"x6.5" rim next year, but I'll have to see if I can save up the $$$. I really like that rim because its light, looks great, and still keeps me eligible for H-Stock if I ever decide to try autocrossing.

Old 06-07-2005, 08:45 AM
Hammer
4th Gear
onasled - AWESOME VIDEO!!!

Old 06-07-2005, 09:14 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
I ran my Cooper on the OEM 175/65/15's at a track day once. It was ok - certainly fine for learning I've also done track days with this car on 205-50-15 Kumho V700s and 195-55-15 Yokohama AVS ES100's. I prefer the Kumhos, but I corded them, and have not replaced them yet (I'm autocrossing on 215-40-16 V710's this year, but I save them for autocross). The Yokos are far better than the OEM Conti's, and not very expensive in that size.

I'd definately give autocross a try I really enjoy autocross, in many ways I like it more than track days. On a track, you have to leave a margin for error - or at least you do if you have half a brain. At an autocross on a properly designed course, you only leave a margin for error if you want to be slow Also, I think a Cooper is more in it's proverbial element at an autocross than it is at a track day.

Of course at a track day you get a lot of seat time and don't have to pick up cones, which is nice, too