Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Which way to go?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 10:11 AM
rrattol
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which way to go?

I'm about to order my MCS! But I'm trying to decide my 2nd set tire/wheel options....which then effects the tire option I select on my MCS order.
(note: I'm in the Boston area, so I need descent winter option.)

Option 1: Go w/ 'standard' 16 inch MCS wheel and the All season run flats...this will be my winter option. Then buy new Yoko 100's w/ 16 inch lightweight wheels (still picking those) from Tirerack.

or

Option 2: Go w/ MCS Performance run flats as my spring/summer tire, and get some 15 inch basic wheels and blizzaks from Tirerack for winter.

So my question is how appropriate is the 16 all season run flats for Winter driving? My preferred option is #1, but only if the all season run flats are usable in Winter/snow (but I like the idea of having run flat piece of mind during winter months). Option 2 will give me great winter driving but I'm concerned the performance run flats are not great for performance, and are pretty harsh?

Any opinions? Thanks!

Old 06-11-2005, 12:32 PM
mudflap
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rrattol
I'm about to order my MCS! But I'm trying to decide my 2nd set tire/wheel options....which then effects the tire option I select on my MCS order.
(note: I'm in the Boston area, so I need descent winter option.)

Option 1: Go w/ 'standard' 16 inch MCS wheel and the All season run flats...this will be my winter option. Then buy new Yoko 100's w/ 16 inch lightweight wheels (still picking those) from Tirerack.

or

Option 2: Go w/ MCS Performance run flats as my spring/summer tire, and get some 15 inch basic wheels and blizzaks from Tirerack for winter.

So my question is how appropriate is the 16 all season run flats for Winter driving? My preferred option is #1, but only if the all season run flats are usable in Winter/snow (but I like the idea of having run flat piece of mind during winter months). Option 2 will give me great winter driving but I'm concerned the performance run flats are not great for performance, and are pretty harsh?

Any opinions? Thanks!
i'd say it depends on how you drive during the summer--you won't be doing a whole lot of snow driving in these cars no matter what kind of snow tires you go with as the ground clearance is minimal. i went with the performance run flats when i ordered mine, and ended up ditching run flats all together and went with toyo proxes 4 all season performance tires--much happier with ride quality and there is some improvement in cornering...i think the blizzaks are a good choice (from previous snow experience in a honda civic) with cheaper wheels that you won't have to care for as much...anyways...just my $.02...

Old 06-11-2005, 12:48 PM
tsukiji
4th Gear
Option #1 sounds good; the all season runflats are fine in the snow & you'll have a lot more fun in the summer with the Yokos.

Old 06-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Absorbine_Sr
3rd Gear
I did a variation of Option #1. I ordered the car with 16" all season's and bought 17" wheels & Tires from Tire Rack for summer. I can't comment on the winter driving yet, but they should be fine unless you get huge amounts of snow. And if you do, stay home and wash the MINI.

A_Sr.

Last edited by Absorbine_Sr; 06-11-2005 at 08:03 PM. Reason: spelling - as usual