Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Love'em or Hate'em... Need your opinion please

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 12:02 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't let all the "performance-is-the-only-thing" race car drivers around here get you discouraged. Chrome wheels can look nice on the mini and a few extra pounds is not going to double your 0-60 time or anything totally drastic.

Check out this thread for some more chrome ideas, if you haven't already:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=44744

Good luck-

-Steve

Old 06-24-2005, 12:20 PM
minimonkey
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey - to get an idea of what the rims might look like on your Mini, why not take photo of your car and then in Photoshop (or simular program) cut out and place the rims over the existing ones. This could really help in deciding if they're really the look you want.

The poor man's way.... use a copy machine and re-scale (or reduce) the rim picture to cut out with sizzors and place it over a photo of your Mini. Good luck.

Old 06-24-2005, 12:22 PM
BaldBikerGuy
Banned
Like I have said time and time again....

It's YOUR car, if you like them put them on YOUR car...

I'm sure not everyone likes the black wheels on my car or the bonnet stripes. But, it's MY car...and I didn't get those things to make anyone happy but me.

So, do what you want and be happy with it...you didn't ask everyone's opinion before you got your MINI...why do it now

Old 06-24-2005, 01:44 PM
scotteast
Old School!
If you want shiny and light, check out Centerline polished aluminum:

http://www.centerlinewheels.com/index.htm

Old 06-24-2005, 01:46 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
IMO - those wheels aren't MINI - but like everyone else said, if YOU like 'em, get 'em. There's no 'perfect' wheel for a MINI. . .depends on what you want.

But if I DID put a set of those on a MINI, I'd do limo tint on the windows and lay on a 6" lift kit.

Old 06-24-2005, 02:40 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sandtoast500
Don't let all the "performance-is-the-only-thing" race car drivers around here get you discouraged. Chrome wheels can look nice on the mini and a few extra pounds is not going to double your 0-60 time or anything totally drastic.

Check out this thread for some more chrome ideas, if you haven't already:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=44744

Good luck-

-Steve
Hey, he's the one who keep posting about adding power so the advice not to add weight to the wheels is applicable I'm not saying it is the only thing but it really can make the car's pick-up better

One thing I'd look into if ever considering chrome would be warranty and quality; I've seen people have issues with pitting and the like.

Old 06-24-2005, 06:18 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
Chrome wheels are not that heavy !!! They are not lightweight but are not heavy !!

Why would they be any heavier than any other aluminum wheel? What the thin layer of chrome makes them pounds and pounds heavier, not really.

I would bet that most people here with there painted tuner rims do not even realize just how heavy they are..

IMO, go for it there are a lot of styles out there too !! Go for it!!

I would have chrome 20" wheels on my Cooper the only thing that is holding me back today is the price of the 225/30/20 when it drops I will be rolling on dubs

Old 06-25-2005, 01:44 PM
hyper
2nd Gear
definitely hate them..

they are not for mini...i think they are for hammer...

and the lightning on the wheels.....they dun look cool...they are like toy.....

anyways...i hope that i am not too straight....
I just wanna give my opinion....:smile:

Old 06-26-2005, 01:02 AM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Passat774
Chrome wheels are not that heavy !!! They are not lightweight but are not heavy !!

Why would they be any heavier than any other aluminum wheel? What the thin layer of chrome makes them pounds and pounds heavier, not really.
Actually, as I understand it, chrome is the heaviest finish that is possible. It can add as much as a few pounds of unsprung weight on each wheel assembly. It's a pretty think finish, IIRC.

But whatever works for each individual is what they should do. It's not like everyone is looking to shave a few tenths off thier commute time to work.

For those who "track" thier cars, chrome is really not the best option. :smile:

Old 06-26-2005, 10:58 AM
bluezone
2nd Gear
I would have chrome 20" wheels on my Cooper the only thing that is holding me back today is the price of the 225/30/20 when it drops I will be rolling on dubs
.... How are you ever going to be able to sleep at night again. If I were rolling on dubs I would me a mental wreak. I'd be dreaming about thieves all night long

And thanks guys for all your honest opinions. Those are what I was hoping for... the honest opinions

Old 06-26-2005, 03:00 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JCW Driver
It's not like everyone is looking to shave a few tenths off thier commute time to work.
HAHAHAH AHAHAHAahha aahahaha.....

Old 06-26-2005, 04:09 PM
Leon1982
1st Gear
not my cuppa tea.
Check out Racinghart wheels

Old 06-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bluezone
.... How are you ever going to be able to sleep at night again. If I were rolling on dubs I would me a mental wreak. I'd be dreaming about thieves all night long

And thanks guys for all your honest opinions. Those are what I was hoping for... the honest opinions
My Cooper sleeps inside so theft would not be an issue

I will post up a pic soon, nice looking clean five spoke

Old 06-26-2005, 06:34 PM
markbradford
5th Gear
Normally I wouldn't say anything, but since you asked, they make me want to stab myself in the eye with a red hot poker.

...twice.

Old 06-26-2005, 06:51 PM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ohmygod, I agree, those rims are <<almost>> as incompatible with a MINI as you could get. Those are made for Escalades, not for MINI's.

That's my opinion.

Nothing wrong with chrome, but I think there are lots more options available for you.

I'd definitely grab the side view JPEG of your car on Tire Rack.com, and start playing around in photoshop with some rim JPEG's. If you don't have access to photoshop, send some pics my way, and I'll help you! I want to help you see the light!

Old 06-26-2005, 07:38 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by bluezone
Want to add something different and not just look like everyone else...

Well I was thinking about getting some 17” Chrome Lexani. I’ve asked a couple of people what they thought and the answers have been from one extreme to the other. Some felt they were great and would look very cool on the Mini, and to go for it. While others have said... No, no the answer is no! Since I am not able to view the wheels on the Mini before purchase, Since there not cheap , I’m hesitant to purchase only to find out after they are paid for that they look stupid on the Mini .

Can I get some opinions from you guys on this one. I did look at the Tire Rack ...
OK if we look at 17" chrome rims.
The Lexani Krystal 17x7.5" (about $1729 for set of 4 with tires

While I think these are OK and might look fine on a MINI, they are a heavier design. Chrome wheels are about 2 pounds heavier than the same wheels in alloy per wheel.

Personally I like a more open design but still unique like-

Foose Lusso 17x7.5" in chrome (about $1699 for set of 4 with tires)
Or check these out
http://www.westcohost.com/wheel/inde...i+Cooper+02-03

Or Foose 17x7.5" Chrome Type S (about $1686 with 4 tires)

Centerlines in 17x7" are about 13.5 pounds per rim and in chrome are about 15-16 pounds each in that diameter- which is much better than most chrome rims weighing 20 to 25 pounds. Check out the specials.

Old 06-26-2005, 08:49 PM
bdmini
3rd Gear
Blue, where are you located in Ca.? Someone's already mentioned the Centerline offerings, you could also ck. out Motegi Racing wheels. Not exactly the lightest out there, but they do offer a lot of chrome "racing look" wheels. The possibility of having your current wheels polished is there too, if you're looking for that different look. There's a shop in Walnut Creek that can polish your current wheels.....just throwing that out there, I'm sure there's other shops that do the same, perhaps others out in NAMland can help. But as to your original ?? I would definitely not put those Lexani's on unless you're strictly showing the vehicle.
My 2cnts.

Old 06-26-2005, 09:46 PM
Minirox
3rd Gear
And thanks guys for all your honest opinions. Those are what I was hoping for... the honest opinions[/QUOTE]

Bluezone

I had stickers made to cover the hub logo. Minis are as individual as there owners, Do what you like.

Old 06-26-2005, 10:18 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Polished Aluminum

SPORT COMPACT - STORM, 17x7, Part #347 7707 439 hi-polish, mirror finish, 42mm offset, $139/wheel at the link scotteast gave above to Centerline Wheels.

Clover

Last edited by MINIclo; 06-26-2005 at 10:53 PM. Reason: to correct information given
Old 06-28-2005, 10:36 AM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
I would prefer 18 polished aluminum light weight BBS rims, very expensive but looks awesome.

chrome is cool, but does not associate with MC. Go with your heart, mind would not make a healthy desicion on styling anyways. AVOID 20s though, please.

Old 06-28-2005, 10:55 AM
whskysouth
3rd Gear
I spent many long hours deciding on wheels for the Mini. I ended up going with the folks that sponsor this thread. Alex did a fantastic job!

I have a pic posted of my mini in the gallery for you to see. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately for the short term, the wheels I have are no longer made.

'02 MCS, EB/W, 17" SSR-GT1

Old 06-28-2005, 11:56 AM
CoopLex
2nd Gear
If we are voting...I would say Nay. The ultimate choice is yours and after all you are the one who has to live with them.

Old 06-28-2005, 04:50 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Chrome is good.

Funny that people get so riled up about putting big chrome rims on a Mini. Is it bad to stick out a little? Isn't that part of why we all have mini's in the first place? Chrome looks great on the Mini, and I personally think those wheels would look great (I actually considered the same ones myself). Do not underestimate the power of the Bling. Of course, you would not look like all of the other Mini's who's wheels don't sparkle, which is a good thing in my opinion, and is kind of the point. I hate fitting in.

Regarding the added weight, it all depends whether you are going for style or speed, but but I didnt notice any time added to my commute when I added my 18" chrome BSAs (24 pounds). It doesnt seem any slower to me, and the increased looks I get would make up for it anyways. I guess it depends if you are racing or not because if you are not then does the 15 pounds added by the bling really matter (I only added 7 pounds total to mine, the same weight as both of my dogs combined:smile: )

Anyways, I recommend www.wheelguyz.com. I did much searching and found them to have the best deals on chrome packages, and they are happy to tell you weights if you call and ask and could probably recommend a few of their lighter weight chrome rims. If you decide against the chrome, I suggest going to a rim shop and asking to see non-chrome wheels with a shiny finish, there are a few finishes out there that are almost as shiny as chrome but lighter in weight (I of course don't remember what), and there are also some non-chrome wheels that have some chrome accents that could add you some bling but not the weight.

I know you asked for the opinion of others, but you should do what YOU want, because it seems like most people just like the same old wheels. I guess the question is whether you want to stand out or fit in and does the added weight matter to you. So my vote is a strong YAY; i think I fell in love with my Mini all over again once i got my chrome. They accent the rest of the Mini's chrome trims and it actually rides much better than the run-flats too. But if you do get them, you may want to get an alarm and a club for when you park elsewhere.

...and I would love to see an Mini get pimped on Pimp My Ride. Where do I sign up?

Attached Thumbnails Love'em or Hate'em... Need your opinion please-sider4-1.jpg   Love'em or Hate'em... Need your opinion please-side.jpg   Love'em or Hate'em... Need your opinion please-front.jpg  
Old 06-28-2005, 05:14 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
http://www.maaswheels.com/m21.html

These are the wheels that I want.

And yes the come 20x7.5 +45 4x100 for our Coopers!!

Old 06-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Minirox
3rd Gear
http://www.maaswheels.com/m21.html

These are the wheels that I want.

And yes the come 20x7.5 +45 4x100 for our Coopers!!
I think 20s you would have definite rub issues.

Quick Reply: Love'em or Hate'em... Need your opinion please