Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

17" runflats swap to 17" non- runflats

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 09:01 PM
fearless freep
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
17" runflats swap to 17" non- runflats

I have a 2004 mini cooper S, Chile Pepper Red, White Roof. Love the car but the run-flat tires I have already replaced two for inspection in Dec.2004 ( to a tune of $650.00 dollars from the dealer!) and now need to replace all four with non - runflatsOne place I asked told me " that car is an unstable box!" " And if it came with run-flats then it has to stay with run-flats!' " And if they changed them to nonrun - flats that I would kill myself and they would be held liable!" " No!" The next place told me they could order them but when I asked if they would be able to change them they said that they never did this but woud ask their " Best " man if he could then went through the motions of doing so. The next place said they could get me tires but had never changed them and was told that you needed a heavy duty machine to break the heavy side walls, but were willing to try. I can't believe this is such a problem! I live in the Pittsburgh Pa. area so I'll need a all season performance tire in 205/45 - 17. Can anyone help?

Old 07-02-2005, 09:27 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
Originally Posted by fearless freep
One place I asked told me " that car is an unstable box!" " And if it came with run-flats then it has to stay with run-flats!' " And if they changed them to nonrun - flats that I would kill myself and they would be held liable!" "
I will put money on it that that guy drives a Pickup or SUV and feels safe - talk about an unstable box. Don't let that moron touch your MINI! I would seek out an America's Tire Store if they have them in your state, although any competent tire shop can change them out. Do yourself a favor and get a set of Toyo Proxes and loose the runflats

Old 07-02-2005, 09:36 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Don't take your car to a tire shop which doesn't have the proper equipment and trained personel to deal with runflat tires ... you'll end up with damaged wheels if you do.

The Tire Rack can recommend an installer ...

http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=EZ3&url=/installer/index.jsp

205/45-17 all-season tire choices:

Avon Tech M550 A/S (Ultra High Performance)
Toyo Proxes 4 (Ultra High Performance)
Falken Ziex ZE-512 (High Performance)

Last edited by Alex@tirerack; 07-08-2005 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:57 AM
mikem53
5th Gear
They are MORONS, period!

Try Discount tires. They usually have the latest equipment and do this all the time. I took my 99 vette there with the GY run-flats and they installed non-run flat Michelin pilots with no issues. It even had the pressure sensors in the valves and there wre no problems...

I plan on doing this also to my MCS. You will love the difference in ride, handling and performnace!

Old 07-03-2005, 09:53 AM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
I had to replace my front right because had a big bolt, Discount tire had it in stock and did a good job. It is really not a big deal, make sure you take it to Discount tire.

Old 07-03-2005, 09:03 PM
fearless freep
Neutral
Thank you all!

Thank you all for the replys. No one said what tires would be suited for Pa. winters. Something all - season but also performace rated and something that will get more than 10-15 thousand miles, unlike the run-flats. Will it handle the same? I see some said the ride was better with non-runflats.

Old 07-03-2005, 09:10 PM
TomAiello
3rd Gear
I recently (2 weeks ago) switched the runflats out for Kumho Ecsta ASX non-runflats. I then turned around and drove about 2000 miles on a road trip.

I haven't tried them in bad weather yet, but expect them to be better than the performance runflats I had. I am very pleased with the improved ride quality, though. A great deal smoother, and a little bit quieter.

Edit to add: These new ones are all-season, non-runflat and slightly larger (215 instead of 205).

Old 07-06-2005, 10:07 PM
LikeABrave
1st Gear
A few weeks ago, I went to my local Discount Tire and asked them for a set of Toyo Proxes-4 (aka p4) 205/45/17" for my '03 MCS. They are all-season performance non-run flats and are a HUGE improvement over the stock Dunlop run-flats in terms of ride noise and road feel.

What I found is almost any reputable tire dealer can get you almost any tire. The bigger chain tire shops (Discount Tire, Sears, etc.) should have no problem removing run-flats.

http://toyo.com/tires/tire_lines/spo.../proxes_4.html