Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

What tires do you use for racing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 10:38 PM
camelpilot
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What tires do you use for racing?

I'm in the market for a set of tires for tracking and autocrossing. But first I'm just curious as to what some of you guys use, or if you can reccommend anything.

I dont know much about tires or about which ones would probably suit me best, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

btw, these tires will be used on track only, not on the street.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:26 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Toyo RA1, 205-40-17,, Shaved to 4/32
Get them here and tell Bryan I sent you!
This is a great handling and about the longest lasting R compound tire out there. VERY LIGHT also.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:44 AM
red rage
4th Gear
New to racing ... What does shaving the tire do for you ? Wouldn't it wear faster?

Here is a visual on the shaved results : lower right of page:

http://www.racingrubber.ca/products/...roxesra-1.html

http://bmwheels.net/ra1.pdf

Here is some more Data I found here: http://www.rogerkrausracing.com/toyoRa1.html

It is recommended to shave the tires to 3/32" to 4/32" for serious competition use
Shaving to less than 3/32" will increase performance but reduce tire life

Hot pressures in competition will run from a minimum of 36# hot to a max of 46# hot, 40# hot is a good starting point

Running 2# to 4# higher pressures in the front tires will reduce understeer in most cases

Remember that the tires will build up pressure in competition. Usual pressure build up is from 3# to 9#, this must be taken in account when setting cold pressures

Originally Posted by onasled
This is a great handling and about the longest lasting R compound tire out there. VERY LIGHT also.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:48 AM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks like the kuhmo's should be available later this month V710's for me I hope

Old 07-06-2005, 05:18 AM
BFG9000
5th Gear
Originally Posted by red rage
New to racing ... What does shaving the tire do for you ? Wouldn't it wear faster?
Full-treaded tires may chunk and be destroyed or go out of balance under overheating from track stress, so some shaving may prolong useful life by reducing heat buildup, as well as increase grip. Going too far will of course reduce useful life.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:30 AM
glassintrepid
3rd Gear
Im not running R-compounds yet, simply because im not ready for the class it would put me in. I have the new Falken Azenies rt-615, and they are great. Not as sticky as an r compound, but im in the street tire class.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:46 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by glassintrepid
Im not running R-compounds yet, simply because im not ready for the class it would put me in. I have the new Falken Azenies rt-615, and they are great. Not as sticky as an r compound, but im in the street tire class.
im too, for 2 seasons on autocross and two sessions on the track i ran my bridgestone re750s... they've held up well for about 5-6 hot laps before they start chucking.... but they actually held up compared to my friend's GSD3s... which seems to chuck a bit worse than mine

im going with rt615 next season.. hopefully they'd have 215/45-16 then

Old 07-06-2005, 09:12 AM
xizor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by glassintrepid
I agree, if you get an r-compound you kill yourself in autox classing with a lightly modified car. Most people suggest not getting r-compounds as your first racing tire because it hides a lot of mistakes a novice driver makes. I would say get a grippy street tire, get some experience and move up later.

Old 07-06-2005, 09:47 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know nothing of auto-X, but what is the rule here with 'street tires'?
Toyo RA1s are DOT street legal tires that many do use on the street.

Old 07-06-2005, 09:52 AM
camelpilot
Banned
Originally Posted by xizor
I agree, if you get an r-compound you kill yourself in autox classing with a lightly modified car. Most people suggest not getting r-compounds as your first racing tire because it hides a lot of mistakes a novice driver makes. I would say get a grippy street tire, get some experience and move up later.
I think I see what you mean about Novices starting with crappy tires, because tires with no grip really show you where you're messing up. I think I'mr eady for the good stuff though, for both Auto-X and track.

Thanks to those who have posted so far. Others, keep em coming!

Old 07-06-2005, 10:56 AM
glassintrepid
3rd Gear
They rate tires based on tread ?compound? I have lost the right word. Anyway a street tire has to have a tread compound of about 200. While a racing tire is less that 200. R-compounds can be as low as 50.

Also, street tires are more predictable, they will give you a heads up on when they are about to let go.

Old 07-06-2005, 11:03 AM
xizor
4th Gear
I know nothing of auto-X, but what is the rule here with 'street tires'?
Toyo RA1s are DOT street legal tires that many do use on the street.
the tire wear determines if they are "street" tires for SCCA solo2. Common street tires would be Falken RT215/615, Hankook RS2 z212, Kumho MX and anything up.

Old 07-06-2005, 11:52 AM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
I have heard decent stuff about the Kumho MX's. They are just regualr street tires (max performance summer), but seem to have great tendencies. They will let you know when they are about to break loose, unlike in many R-compounds that just let go without much warning. Personally, i would go with some high performance street rubber before stepping up if this is your first time to the track. After a season under your belt (and the tires are all worn out), get some R-compounds. I've had great luck with the Nitto 555rII on my Inifiniti. Unfortunately, they only come in 275-40-17 which really won't help you much. I've heard they started making some other sizes. Of course, you can go wit hthe old stand by Kumho Victoracer. A lot of people around here seem to use them with great results.

Old 07-06-2005, 01:25 PM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
I have used Kumho V700 Victoracers (205-50-15) (on many cars including the Mini) and Kumho V710's (215-40-16) (only driven these on my mini). I have never tracked the 710's, I save them for autocross. They are fantastic autocross tires. This is THE tire to run if you want to be fast on the autocross course.

The Victoracer is a great tire, too. It's pretty cheap and takes lots of abuse. They don't make a good 16" size in the Victoracer for the Mini. These are probably a good choice if you also plan on doing track days on your sticky tires.

By the way, the SCCA currently draws the line between a "street tire" and an "r compound tire" at a treadwear rating of 140. Last I saw, the ST* rules also had a list of excluded tires, too, in addition to the treadwear rule.

For stock autocross classes in the SCCA (as well as street prepared and probably street mod), you have to have a DOT approved tire but can use any treadwear rating. For Prepared and Modified, you can use non-DOT slicks.

Old 07-06-2005, 02:04 PM
red rage
4th Gear
"[font=Arial]The RA-1's UTQG tread wear rating of 40 indicates road adhesion levels suitable for those applications where winning means everything"[/font]

Old 07-07-2005, 07:34 AM
NeilM
3rd Gear
Bear in mind that tires are relatively expensive to ship, so where best to buy them depends on where you live. I'm in Indiana and get my Toyos from Illinois, so shipping cost is reasonable and UPS ground service gets them here overnight.

Neil
05 MCS
M3 track car