Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

BF Goodrich KDW-2

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 10:56 PM
Cdnsnowman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BF Goodrich KDW-2

Just installed the KDW-2 on the car and after 1000 miles they are one sweet tire. Grip is outstanding both dry and wet. As promised he's a pic of the tires on the car. Love the tread pattern.

When I went with the 215/40/17's I gave up some of the ride quality but the performance is out of this world. I'd recommend them full stop. Definitely blow away the performance run flats.

Old 07-06-2005, 04:24 AM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
How much was it per tire? And where did you get them? Ive been looking in to getting a set of these tires for sometime now.

Old 07-06-2005, 08:50 AM
Cdnsnowman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DrkSilvrMini
How much was it per tire? And where did you get them? Ive been looking in to getting a set of these tires for sometime now.
I bought the tires through Discount tire - friend of the family and the hummer gets done there also. Tire Rack is also a great source and would highly recommend. The tires were on sale at $135 each - believe the sale is still running at Tire Rack. They are sweet

Last edited by Cdnsnowman; 07-06-2005 at 08:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Fracky
Transwarp - Warp 10.0
Originally Posted by Cdnsnowman
I bought the tires through Discount tire - friend of the family and the hummer gets done there also. Tire Rack is also a great source and would highly recommend. The tires were on sale at $135 each - believe the sale is still running at Tire Rack. They are sweet
You're right about the ride, handling, wed-and-dry grip. I bought the KDW2 215/40/17 for my Momo X1's on Maxmini's recommendation and I couldn't be happier. Plus, we get the added bonus of a sweet looking tread pattern.
I ordered my BF KDW's online at Tirerack and they were awesome to work with. I bought new tires for my wife's MB because the service, communication and follow-up was so good. As a bonus, Tirerack sent me a $50 prepaid Visa card.
The only issue I've had from switching from run-flat's to regular tires is, occasionally the flat tire indicator on my speedo will come on. At first, I figured it was from tire pressures differing, so I started carrying a pressure indicator. The last two times the light has come on I jumped out of the car to check, but everything was fine. Any ideas, suggestions, etc.?

Old 07-06-2005, 09:13 AM
ripley
3rd Gear
I've got the first generation BFG G-Force tires on my MINI. They too are super tires. They have a different tread pattern and are a little cheaper but they do a great job at gripping the road and the ride is smooth. I'll either buy these again or upgrade to the KDW-2's when it's time to replace.

ripley

Old 07-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Cdnsnowman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Fracky
You're right about the ride, handling, wed-and-dry grip. I bought the KDW2 215/40/17 for my Momo X1's on Maxmini's recommendation and I couldn't be happier. Plus, we get the added bonus of a sweet looking tread pattern.
I ordered my BF KDW's online at Tirerack and they were awesome to work with. I bought new tires for my wife's MB because the service, communication and follow-up was so good. As a bonus, Tirerack sent me a $50 prepaid Visa card.
The only issue I've had from switching from run-flat's to regular tires is, occasionally the flat tire indicator on my speedo will come on. At first, I figured it was from tire pressures differing, so I started carrying a pressure indicator. The last two times the light has come on I jumped out of the car to check, but everything was fine. Any ideas, suggestions, etc.?
I have the same problem. Is this normal as my light does not go out now and the pressure is perfect across all tires. No issues on losing any air. I too look for any helpful suggestions.

Old 07-06-2005, 05:27 PM
carletta
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Fracky

I also have these tires, in the stock 205 45 17 size. I have no problem at all with the flat tire monitoring system. I am forever changing tire pressures, and sometimes I forget to reset the system. I have never had the light come on.

By the way, I also love these tires. Put them on new for the "Dragon" and they were tremendous. I just can't figure out what psi to run them at.

David

Old 07-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Cdnsnowman
2nd Gear
System Reset

David,

Could the light coming on be from not resetting the system?

Once again the process to reset the system is what? I know it's in the manual. Thanks for your help

Old 07-06-2005, 05:48 PM
carletta
1st Gear
System Reset

Start the car. Push and hold the reset monitoring system button until the tread light comes on (at the speedometer). Then release the button. That's it.

Old 07-06-2005, 07:25 PM
indygomini
4th Gear
I have KDW2's in 205/50-16. Great grip and ride. Since fitting these, my low tire pressure warning indicator has tripped 3 or 4 times. Usually, this happens shortly after starting out in the morning, following an exit from gentle, sweeping turn. I suspect that the combination of taller, softer sidewalls, more rounded tread shoulders than the OEM runflats, and the pressure reduction that results from cool mornings, is what "tricks" the tire pressure warning system into signalling an alert.

I reset the indicator while straight-line cruising, and thus far, it stays out after that. After checking the pressures following the first couple of times it happened, I won't worry about it unless either:

1) the car feels like a tire is low on pressure;
2) the warning lamp flashes on again shortly after it is reset.

I'm OK with the tire pressure monitoring system giving an occasional false alarm. I'd rather have the car be too paranoid than too lax with a warning.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:42 AM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Does anyone know the proper pressure to run the KDW2s @? Tire Rack filled mine to 34 psi on every tire. My dad says it should be 38 psi like on the sticker in the door jam but it's a different tire!

Mikey

Old 07-11-2005, 09:51 AM
greatgro
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put the KDW-2's on this spring and they are absolutely fantastic. I'm REALLY impressed with how well they are in the wet. Wet handling is superb and dry is increased as well. Got them from the tire rack. I actually bought 5 in case I got a flat in one that couldn't be repaired. Love the thread pattern also.

Will use the stock all-season runflats as my winter tires.

Old 07-11-2005, 09:55 AM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by greatgro
Got them from the tire rack. I actually bought 5 in case I got a flat in one that couldn't be repaired. Love the thread pattern also.

Will use the stock all-season runflats as my winter tires.
Same Here!
Except I got mine this last saturday!

Mikey
Will upload pics as soon as I can take them!

Old 07-11-2005, 02:11 PM
Cdnsnowman
2nd Gear
Tire Pressure

I run mine on the higher side on the equation at 42 lbs (215/40/17). I like the pressure and Discount Tire said that level would be fine.

Robert

Old 07-11-2005, 02:24 PM
10851CS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Cdnsnowman
I have the same problem. Is this normal as my light does not go out now and the pressure is perfect across all tires. No issues on losing any air. I too look for any helpful suggestions.
I have the KDWs now but had the same problem with other (AVS 100). I understand when the wheel spins (peeling out) you get the light.

Earl