Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brakes Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 07:33 AM
sdiver
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brake Pad Question

Yes, yes, much has been said here regarding brakes, and the past day I have gone through and read almost all of it. But I do have a question that I hope somebody will be able to answer...

I am going to be replacing the front rotors on my MCS with some Brembo replacement rotors (I just had new rear rotors put on under warranty), but I'm still looking around at pads right now. I think I'll be going with the EBC Green Stuff Pads, but this is where my question comes in.

I would like to keep the brake wear sensor enabled. I know I don't need it, but it's my OCD nature to have it in place and working properly. So that being said, it seems the EBC GS Pads have the slot for the front sensor, but there are two different sets of pads for the rear of the MINI. One with the sensor, one without the sensor...this is where I get confused. The pads w/o the sensor work on all '02-'05 model year MINIs, while the pads with the sensor are marked to work with '04-'05 model year MINIs. See MossMini to see what I'm talking about...

So, is there a difference in the design of the rear pads for the '04-'05 MINIs, that those pads would not work on an '03 MCS (I have an '03 MCS)?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Old 07-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sdiver
Yes, yes, much has been said here regarding brakes, and the past day I have gone through and read almost all of it. But I do have a question that I hope somebody will be able to answer...

I am going to be replacing the front rotors on my MCS with some Brembo replacement rotors (I just had new rear rotors put on under warranty), but I'm still looking around at pads right now. I think I'll be going with the EBC Green Stuff Pads, but this is where my question comes in.

I would like to keep the brake wear sensor enabled. I know I don't need it, but it's my OCD nature to have it in place and working properly. So that being said, it seems the EBC GS Pads have the slot for the front sensor, but there are two different sets of pads for the rear of the MINI. One with the sensor, one without the sensor...this is where I get confused. The pads w/o the sensor work on all '02-'05 model year MINIs, while the pads with the sensor are marked to work with '04-'05 model year MINIs. See MossMini to see what I'm talking about...

So, is there a difference in the design of the rear pads for the '04-'05 MINIs, that those pads would not work on an '03 MCS (I have an '03 MCS)?

Thanks in advance :smile:
I am guessing your looking at 2 diffrent sets. 04-05 rear pads are unique sensor placement compaired to 02-03. The front pad fitments (non JCW) have been the same 02 - current .

Alex

Old 07-07-2005, 05:41 AM
polmear
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a point. The wear sensor is an INCREDIBLE BEE-ATCH!!! to remove from the slot. It has two metal anchors that need to be carefully released if you want to reuse the sensor properly. I had a difficult time removing from pads w/ 13k on them.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:30 AM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
They are all the same pad; one just has the slot in it for the sensor. The design is the same.:smile: