Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Finally decided on wheels..being installed tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 02:22 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally decided on wheels..being installed tomorrow...

After 4 months of waiting, and three wheel descision changes... the missus and I have settled on a set of 18 x 7.5" Motegi Racing FF7 wheels wrapped in Pirelli PZero Neros,for street application. They will fit nicely over our Brembo brakes.

(Hopefully I'll be able to convince her that we should buy a set of lightweight 16" track/autocross wheels with track tires. I don't think a set of 15's will fit over our brembos.)

Pics to follow, but here's a hack photoshop job (before and after)....

Old 07-06-2005, 02:23 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
looks good, how much do they cost?

Old 07-06-2005, 02:30 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why did you decide against the SportMax's?

Old 07-06-2005, 02:57 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rossii
Why did you decide against the SportMax's?
I really didn't.

They were impossible to locate. I've waited 3 months with no luck. after orderign the single, for test fitting, the other three were harder to find than talent at a Britney Spears concert.

Nationwide searches by multiple shops. Nothing.

They are on back order for every vendor it seems. I still like them a bit more than the motegis. but, alas... life doesn't work like you plan...

Old 07-06-2005, 02:58 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
Whew! I didn't want to say anything about the sportmaxs then, but these are much better! 7 spoke wheels are just right. Great choice.

-[[[S]]]

Old 07-06-2005, 03:07 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sandtoast500
Whew! I didn't want to say anything about the sportmaxs then, but these are much better! 7 spoke wheels are just right. Great choice.

-[[[S]]]

The motegis are really growing on me... I finally saw the hyper black in person, today when they arrived. After the car is done being worked on(detailed/touch up spray painted) today, the rims and tired get mounted.

Then I get to spend the next two nights working on mounting the CF splitter from M7, and possibly the aero grille we bought, all in time for our club outing at the historic races here in Portland. Wheee!

http://www.portlandhistorics.com/

Old 07-06-2005, 03:13 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ariercetinberk
looks good, how much do they cost?
for wheels/tires/mounting/ balancing/ stud conversion/ spacer install/ etc, around $1400.

Old 07-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Rossii
5th Gear
Where did you end up getting them from? I have been looking for wheels for a while and thought I found the perfect wheels..........according to Victoria Tires........"Yeah sure they fit" Said they have them in 4x100 Found out thats not the case... glad I didn't pull the trigger. How shady can you get.....Now I have to keep looking

Old 07-06-2005, 04:01 PM
mikem53
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JCW Driver
I really didn't.

the other three were harder to find than talent at a Britney Spears concert.
Haha.. I love it! So true... Nice wheels!

Old 07-06-2005, 04:25 PM
xizor
4th Gear
Motegi wheels in general are very heavy, any ideas how much these weigh?

Old 07-06-2005, 04:52 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Originally Posted by xizor
Motegi wheels in general are very heavy, any ideas how much these weigh?
I haven't weighed the rolling stock combo yet. I will tomorrow or Friday when they are mounted up.

Had mass been the most of my concerns Id've chosen a different wheel though. But with my intentions, so long as it was close to stock, I was OK with it.

As I said before in a different thread, I'm not trying to shave a few tenths off my commute time to work. These are the wrong wheels for that. They are not forged, but cast aluminum, and then painted.

I'll buy volks or 16" gram lites or something, for track days.

Old 07-06-2005, 05:15 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rossii
Where did you end up getting them from?
Searched high and low. But they were the last set in American Racing's Florida distribution center (I'm in Oregon). Supposedly the last set available in Hyperblack 18", in the US at the moment.

A local wheel/tire center was able to locate them there. First I had my favored motorsports (www.plusonemotorsports.com) shop try, and they started with the local distributor in Portland. They managed to say "Sure! We have em", only to ship over black wheels , and that search expanded all the way down to SF and then LA, then went coast to coast....and ultimately ended in Florida....

I don't know why the wheel is so scarce. I don't see it much on other cars, as of yet.

Old 07-07-2005, 04:25 AM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Sharp, sharp, sharp! Can't wait to see pics on the car. They should look fantastic with the spring drop. I guess I have somewhat the budget version, at least my wheel is also 7 spoke. I've been very happy with the upgrade in appearance.

Old 07-07-2005, 04:29 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Looks very nice..now tell me what is the story with the car next to yours? It looks to have a MINI logo on the side...

Old 07-07-2005, 05:31 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
I just put these on for $930, darn close design! https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...cat=500&page=1

Old 07-07-2005, 05:38 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Love the look.....nice choice. I have BBS RV-Fs and they are great wheels and I do get compliments but I don't think they are the best looking.

Your choice looks great

Old 07-07-2005, 08:53 AM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mdsbrain
Looks very nice..now tell me what is the story with the car next to yours? It looks to have a MINI logo on the side...
It was a couterfiet mini joke, that one of the members of our club did for an outing. His mini was in the shop unexpectedly, and they gave him a loaner rental. So at the registration gathering, he and his wife showed up with tongues firmly planted in cheek and a bunch of fake mini crap added to the car. It was hysterical. Hood stripes, mini badges, a single driving light zip tied to the grill, the crazy mirror tape job, etc. A big hit...

here's the rest of the photo, where you can see a good bit of the "mods". There are others that show it better, but I have them on my home computer...

Old 07-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SpiderX
Love the look.....nice choice. I have BBS RV-Fs and they are great wheels and I do get compliments but I don't think they are the best looking.

Your choice looks great
I will take your high quality forged BBS wheels any day over the china made mass marketed Motegi wheels that you can get at Sears

If you ever want to sell those RV-F's for something with more style let me know !!

Old 07-07-2005, 06:06 PM
Justanthony
3rd Gear
hey if the guy likes motegi wheels, that's his choice...the Sears comment is a bit harsh.

Old 07-07-2005, 06:17 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Passat774
I will take your high quality forged BBS wheels any day over the china made mass marketed Motegi wheels that you can get at Sears

If you ever want to sell those RV-F's for something with more style let me know !!
Motegi is not just some 'run of the mill' brand... they are a decent wheel company.. (you might be thinking of MSR) ive ran their ff6 for about a year now and despite my abuse, they have stood up well and no warping problems ever! the polish lip still looks new, and no dis-coloration at all: to say that motegi is low quality is just a plain wrong statement (their traklite, while very expensive, is forged, and weighs 15 lbs in 17 inch)

also, costs much less than your 'high quality forged' BBS wheel, so if you do manage to destroy one, trade for a new one... i wont have to cry everytime i scrub the curb!

i like those FF7, just a bit too heavy for me

and a side note, no 16 will fit over the brembos, you will need 17s for the track too

Old 07-07-2005, 06:36 PM
ZenMINI3
2nd Gear
JCW Driver, how do you like those Pirelli's (P Zero Nero)? Looking to get rims and Im considering 18's over 17's but not sure what tire to get. Let me know Thanks.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:20 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Passat774
Yep as soon as I want to spend 4 grand on rims alone , I will head out and put some BBS LM's on my car, or have a set of Fikses custom made. Until then I'm spreading the wealth around the car more evenly and sticking within my budget.

You know the phrase, "If your outgo exceeds your income, your upkeep will be your downfall"?

It applies here.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:21 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZenMINI3
JCW Driver, how do you like those Pirelli's (P Zero Nero)? Looking to get rims and Im considering 18's over 17's but not sure what tire to get. Let me know Thanks.
Haven't driven them yet, (car gets the stuff mounted up tomorrow morning) as that image above is just a photoshop job.

But the reviews are very good for the tire. Great tire for the price.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:31 PM
ahamos
Coordinator :: River City Minis
Originally Posted by kyriian
and a side note, no 16 will fit over the brembos, you will need 17s for the track too
I don't think he has Brembo's. That's a painted stock caliper behind the S-Lite in the first picture, and the second picture is an admitted hack-job. The caliper is in the wrong location for the MINI (although not by much).

Old 07-07-2005, 07:37 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ahamos
I don't think he has Brembo's. That's a painted stock caliper behind the S-Lite in the first picture, and the second picture is an admitted hack-job. The caliper is in the wrong location for the MINI (although not by much).
he claims he has a set of brembos from his first post on the second page:

Originally Posted by JCW Driver
After 4 months of waiting, and three wheel descision changes... the missus and I have settled on a set of 18 x 7.5" Motegi Racing FF7 wheels wrapped in Pirelli PZero Neros,for street application. They will fit nicely over our Brembo brakes.

(Hopefully I'll be able to convince her that we should buy a set of lightweight 16" track/autocross wheels with track tires. I don't think a set of 15's will fit over our brembos.)
o yeah, according to motegi's website, the FF7 in 17s weight 21.5 lbs, in 18s they are 24.5 lbs

Quick Reply: Finally decided on wheels..being installed tomorrow...