Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

BBK and 15" wheels for autoX only

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 04:31 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBK and 15" wheels for autoX only

I just got back from my first autoX experience and while I have a ton to learn about driving and there are some very seriously talented people with years of experience, I did notice that the cars with 15" wheels and Hoosiers ran "real" fast. I worked the corners and watched and learned. I know, the point could be raised that is that because the better drivers etc?

Most of my "Mini" fun driving is in the mountains and the reason I went to a BBK is the stock brakes and even power slots and 2500 are not enough when you drive "spirited" for longer than about 20 minutes. BTW at the Dragon I was braking much later and shorter than every car I was behind.

I have a AP racing BBK and to run 15" is there some method with spacers or do I have to go back to stock brakes? I only want to run 15" at autoX I'm sure some of you are rolling your eyes at my ignorance but hey, this is how I learn.

Old 07-10-2005, 04:51 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpiderX
I just got back from my first autoX experience and while I have a ton to learn about driving and there are some very seriously talented people with years of experience, I did notice that the cars with 15" wheels and Hoosiers ran "real" fast. I worked the corners and watched and learned. I know, the point could be raised that is that because the better drivers etc?

Most of my "Mini" fun driving is in the mountains and the reason I went to a BBK is the stock brakes and even power slots and 2500 are not enough when you drive "spirited" for longer than about 20 minutes. BTW at the Dragon I was braking much later and shorter than every car I was behind.

I have a AP racing BBK and to run 15" is there some method with spacers or do I have to go back to stock brakes? I only want to run 15" at autoX I'm sure some of you are rolling your eyes at my ignorance but hey, this is how I learn.
get the wilwood and sell your ap brakes to me!

Old 07-10-2005, 04:53 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kyriian
one word.......NO

I really like my brakes.......I just want both.

Old 07-10-2005, 06:13 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Will the wilwoods even fit under 15's? I thought they just fit under 16s. Seems like a clever ploy mister

I have 15x7 inch wheels with a pretty agressive offset, and there really isnt much space for bigger brakes. The stock brakes come very close to the wheel as it is...couldnt imagine any BBK could fit.

You could think about upgrading the sotck brakes, however, to avoid fade and increase stopping power with the stock caliper size.

slotted rotors
good pads
brake lines
cooling ducts
the bushings people have talked about in other threads(can be found at turner motorsports)
you can even get upgraded calipers for the stock brake system from www.newminisport.com, but i dont know how worth it they are.

That should really cool most of your fade if you are just running auto-x and mountains. Track might be another story....

Old 07-10-2005, 07:16 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The 11.75 will.
The 12.2 will not.
And no; the TCE 13's won't either. Even with big spacers!

Old 07-10-2005, 12:47 PM
jazmini
4th Gear
Todd,

How does the weight of your 11.75 rotors compare to stock? I don't know what a stock rotor weighs, but is yours the same or less, or slightly more? I thought I heard they were actually lighter. Thanks. :smile:

Old 07-10-2005, 01:03 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
I think the total weight loss was about 5lbs per side. This includes the calipers of course. The rotors will have some weight loss too due to the hats, BUT beware; a lighter rotor is not key to brake performance. A proper balance of weight to thermal capacity must be considered. The 11.75 has a heavier rotor than the 12.2 kit even being smaller. Hence the description of being the 'race kit'.

Old 07-10-2005, 02:02 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
Will the wilwoods even fit under 15's? I thought they just fit under 16s. Seems like a clever ploy mister

I have 15x7 inch wheels with a pretty agressive offset, and there really isnt much space for bigger brakes. The stock brakes come very close to the wheel as it is...couldnt imagine any BBK could fit.

You could think about upgrading the sotck brakes, however, to avoid fade and increase stopping power with the stock caliper size.

slotted rotors
good pads
brake lines
cooling ducts
the bushings people have talked about in other threads(can be found at turner motorsports)
you can even get upgraded calipers for the stock brake system from www.newminisport.com, but i dont know how worth it they are.

That should really cool most of your fade if you are just running auto-x and mountains. Track might be another story....
I had power slots and ferodo 2500s and still got too much fade. I'm sure I could have done things to improve braking performance but the AP BBK solved it entirely.

This is not a huge deal to me......I'll just autoX what I have and work on my driving skills

Old 07-10-2005, 10:03 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
im in the same dilemma as you are spider... bbks are not really worth it in autox i feel (brakes do get cool over time), but ive toyed with the idea of doing a bbk sometime next year just for the track....

the hardest part for me is to find one that will fit OEM Steel wheels! unless i can somehow find the money to keep my current 17s for winter and get a light weight 17 for summer as well

i really wish i can win the lottery so i can get the tarox 10 pot caliper!

Old 07-11-2005, 03:47 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
im in the same dilemma as you are spider... bbks are not really worth it in autox i feel (brakes do get cool over time), but ive toyed with the idea of doing a bbk sometime next year just for the track....

the hardest part for me is to find one that will fit OEM Steel wheels! unless i can somehow find the money to keep my current 17s for winter and get a light weight 17 for summer as well

i really wish i can win the lottery so i can get the tarox 10 pot caliper!
To paraphrase "so many women, so little time" "So many cars/mods, so little money."

I'm just going to drive what I have..........It's all about fun........yeah right.......I'm too damn competitive for my own good

Old 07-11-2005, 06:07 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
What you are perhaps over looking are the simple gains; lighter weight, better pad selection and most important better feedback per clamp and release characteristics. If you're a left foot braker you'll soon exploit these benefits after only a few runs!

BTW; more pistons don't make for better brakes, and bias is all screwy with such things, better hope they are verrry small pistons.

Old 07-11-2005, 06:18 AM
SpiderX
6th Gear
Originally Posted by toddtce
What you are perhaps over looking are the simple gains; lighter weight, better pad selection and most important better feedback per clamp and release characteristics. If you're a left foot braker you'll soon exploit these benefits after only a few runs!

BTW; more pistons don't make for better brakes, and bias is all screwy with such things, better hope they are verrry small pistons.
Hi Todd,

For autoX stock brakes are fine but in the mountains of NC and GA the stock brakes and even the power slots with ferodos, did not work well enough for me...after 20 -30 minutes the brakes were just not there the way I am comfortable. not to be redundant but with the AP BBK problem solved. Since most of my driving for fun is in the mts. I'll stay with what I have

Old 07-11-2005, 08:09 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Originally Posted by toddtce

i know, but it'd be very cool to pull up into a parking lot with a 10 pot race brake kit on your ride

now todd.... if i am indeed looking for a bbk, do you know if the 11.75 race kit can fit under oem steel wheels (i can almost see the no on your face)

otherwise, if i do go 17s in the winter what kit would you recommend for mostly street driving, with 15-20 autocross, and about 5-6 track days

and yes, spider, dating women means you are dumping money away when you can spend it on the car!

Old 07-11-2005, 11:12 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor

now todd.... if i am indeed looking for a bbk, do you know if the 11.75 race kit can fit under oem steel wheels (i can almost see the no on your face)

otherwise, if i do go 17s in the winter what kit would you recommend for mostly street driving, with 15-20 autocross, and about 5-6 track days
You misunderstood the look. It is not a "no", it's a "I haven't got a clue".
You'll need to pull the pdf off the Wilwood site to open the wheel fit template there and that'll answer your question.

As for which one...well if wheels are an issue you only have one choice. If you do 17s I can put you into the larger kits very easy or you can stay with the smaller ones. There are no cross parts in the Wilwood factory to TCE/Wilwoods however so you'll not be able to do a simple rotor swap or anything if that's what you had in mind. All they share are hose kits.