Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

run or non-runflats again...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Scouba Steve
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
run or non-runflats again...

I know this subject has been discussed a few times here, but I still don't know what to do with my tires...

I have Goodyear runflats that need to be changed by the end of the summer. On the other hand, I will need, in a couple of months, winter tires (I live in Quebec, Canada, so winter tires are a necessity here). The first idea I had is to buy new steel rims for winter with runflats. But I heard that the valves with pressure-sensor are very expensive too, like 200-300 $CA each. Is that true ? So if I buy steel rims with their valves and the runflats tires, it will ruine me !!!

After reading the forums, I saw that many of you had bought a fix-a-flat kit to ride on non-runflat tires. An option I have is to buy non-runflat with steel rims for the winter (and buy a fix-a-flat kit) and keep my runflats with my mags for summer.

And the other option I have is to buy winter runflats to put on my mags, but I don't like this idea because the calcium is not good for the mags.

Another question... in the MC with 15'' wheels or less, they have a spare tire in the boot ? Can I buy a spare tire like this and put it in my MC ?

Steve
a-proud-new-owner-of-a-Mini-Cooper!

Old 07-22-2005, 11:50 AM
adame
Coordinator :: MINIsota Motoring Society (MMS)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just replaced my run-flats after almost 3 years and I'm glad I finally did. I don't know why I waited so long to do so. I have a MC so I have a spare if needed.

I think I would suggest getting a winter wheel package from tirerack.com and swap those around with your summer tires. Then get the fix-a-flat thing to carry along.

I have never had a flat in any of my cars, but I realize that has nothing to do with you.

You'll like the performance gain from the non-runflats, plus the added ride comfort.

Good luck!