Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Vibration with new tires and wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 07:56 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lurch70
yes, me too ... non existent up to 40-50mph ... and goes away at higher speeds than that.
i have the plastic rings, but like I said all was fine for over a year, until this last weekend when I pulled off the wheels to clean them.
Sounds like you either lost a weight when cleaning them or they did not center quite right when you put them back on (a definite problem with the plastic rings). Try loosening the lugs on each wheel and then carefully tightening each lug a little at a time, using the lugs to help keep the wheel centered instead of the rings. I do suggest you get some metallic rings. I had the same issue with my Flik Wasps until I finally replaced the rings. I still get it occasionally if I am not careful about mounting the wheels, then I just do what I suggested above and all is right with the world.

Old 07-28-2005, 02:29 PM
glassintrepid
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we have a problem here! I got my 18in Flik Wasps with the Falken Ze512's last november and had the vibrating from the get go. Had them balanced 3 times in one day, even did the "special" machine. Still, i had shaking. THEN, i went to the metal hub rings and it didnt help. I think we either have defective tires, wheels, or both. I see your point about the larger wheels vibrating, but do you hear anyone complaining about the JCW wheels vibrating? The only ones i have ever heard of are the fliks, and fromt the looks like of this thead, the Falken tires.

Old 07-28-2005, 03:03 PM
schooner2
4th Gear
I have experience this same thing that everyone is talking about, I put on the hub rings and it helped but the vibration was still there. so what I did was only tighten 2 bolts all the way down, then put the other two on and the problem went away. hope that might help some of you that are having problem, From now on I dont let anyone touch my tires, and if I do then I have to go home and lossen the lugs and start over and the problem goes away!

Old 07-28-2005, 03:33 PM
glassintrepid
3rd Gear
Can you elaborate a little please? I have tried putting the bolts in different ways, but it did not help me, maybe your technique is different? Also, if there was say, some kind of defect, what could we do? Could we call up edge racing and give them this tread, and all of the complaints that people are having with the exact wheel/tire combo? Do you think they would help or just say sorry.

Old 07-28-2005, 03:44 PM
glassintrepid
3rd Gear
Ok, i just emailed Edgeracing about our problems. We shall see what is up. If anyone else has had trouble with these wheels SPEAK UP! Thanks.

Old 07-28-2005, 03:52 PM
schooner2
4th Gear
the only thing i can say is when I put the wheel on with the plastic hub ring, in no order i tighten up 2 bolts only- across from each other, I toruge the two lug nuts down, before I even put the other two bolts in, for some reason it seems to center up the tire better, I am not sure but it seem to be working for me! ooh and I put the locking lug nut in last, it has a bigger bevel to it!

Old 08-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Kandid
1st Gear
Just got of the phone with edge racing, (manager mind you) they could not offer any viable sollution except upping the PSI to 37(?). I will try one last thing tonight - will switch driver's side wheel to the rear and see if it helps. If it DOES help this means something wrong with that wheel and/or tire.
Question - if I'm doing it myself should I buy a torque wrench? And to what specs?
They said that they will pay for the replacement tire but I will have to pay for the shipping back to them
Originally Posted by schooner2
the only thing i can say is when I put the wheel on with the plastic hub ring, in no order i tighten up 2 bolts only- across from each other, I toruge the two lug nuts down, before I even put the other two bolts in, for some reason it seems to center up the tire better, I am not sure but it seem to be working for me! ooh and I put the locking lug nut in last, it has a bigger bevel to it!
Are you putting the horizontal or vertical ones first?

Old 08-01-2005, 01:29 PM
MGear
5th Gear
Hey, I have OZ Cronos with Yokohama EVS 100's and I have never had any vibration.

Putting the wheel on the rear won't help either cause sometime in the future you will need to move that combo to the front. Take care of the problem now.

Say what's to prevent the problem happening again when you get the replacement?

Old 08-01-2005, 02:57 PM
glassintrepid
3rd Gear
Still havent gotten an email back yet.

Anyway, on my car, it does not matter where the wheels are, they always shake. Im getting new tires tommorrow, so, we shall see if its the tires or the rims.....

Old 08-01-2005, 03:03 PM
schooner2
4th Gear
I dont use a tourqe wrench on mine , I do want to get a tourque wrench,, if you still cant get the vibration out then you might be right, could be the tire.

Nate
JCWORKS

Old 08-01-2005, 03:41 PM
glassintrepid
3rd Gear
I torque mine to spec, and the they still vibrate.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:18 PM
J-Didi
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kandid
With my original 17" S-lites I didn't had any vibration and it would be highly unlikely for brake rotors to warp right when I changed wheels, or not?
I noticed my vibration as soon as I changed to aftermarket wheels too. Figured - must be wheels right. Well I just had my 30K service at dealer and turns out my rotors needed replacing. Now there is very little vibration at all. Maybe the vibration is more noticeable with lighter wheels???

Old 08-01-2005, 05:38 PM
J-Didi
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BPCooper
That's just what happens with aftermarket wheels. There's really nothing you can do....i have 18's and hubcentric rings and my wheels still have the "shake". It's just that the larger wheels have a larger rotating mass and normal cars just can't keep them from shaking. Every car pretty much has the "shake". (18's and up)

Your Friend Ben
Unh... I down sized. Went from 16's to 15's and still got the shakes. BTW, MINI warrants brakes and rotors up to 36K, or so I've been told

Old 08-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Kandid
1st Gear
Just came back from the tire place - apparently they say a tire has a "split" belt of some sort? I was told that it will cause vibration, ER is replacing the tire for free

Old 08-01-2005, 06:55 PM
bdmini
3rd Gear
I have 17" Wasps on mine w/ the included nylon/plastic hubcentrics and have NO vibration problems at all. I am currently running BFG G-Force Sports but will be switching to Bridgestone S-03's very soon. We have noticed problems
w/ the Falkens having "humps/high spots/out of round" conditions before and as a result have stopped carrying them. The problem isn't the wheel. Proper hubcentrics, and proper torquing of the wheel will center it corrently onto the hub. Out of round tires will not cure themselves. They will need to be replaced, and it should be done under warranty. The tire mfg. needs to be made aware that they have made a bad tire, perhaps a whole batch needs to be looked at, hence the D.O.T. registration that occurrs (or should) whenever you purchase tires.

Later

Old 08-01-2005, 06:57 PM
glassintrepid
3rd Gear
Just came back from the tire place - apparently they say a tire has a "split" belt of some sort? I was told that it will cause vibration, ER is replacing the tire for free
I really hope that it is the tires.... It is sooo embarassing with someone else in the car. Also, mine cannot be from the rotors, because it doesnt do it under braking.

Old 08-03-2005, 06:31 AM
glassintrepid
3rd Gear
In my case, it was the tires for sure. My car no longer shakes. Maybe i got a bad batch of tires. Guess its too late now, huh?

Old 08-04-2005, 09:56 PM
NearlyNN
2nd Gear
I have had some vibration, which has varied both with the same set of wheels or with my second set. Both SSR Comps.

A top local Mini tech gave me a tip regarding tightening up lightwieight aftermarket wheels. He does it to his. Others above have alluded to careful and gentle tightening.

Tech said don't use an impact wrench. Wheels can be perfectly balanced, yet tightening alloys is tricky and can cause problems.

He finger tightens his, then cross-tightens bolts/nuts in 20 pound increments. It stopped the shimmy on his car.

Just a thought.

Old 08-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Kandid
1st Gear
Vibrations are gone!
-I got a replacement tire, took it to the local place to replace the one with slipped belt but did not tell them which one is bad. They could not find anything wrong but directed me to another place with "RoadForce"(?) machine. After about an hour of waiting the tech comes out and tells me that their machine is designed to find those slipped belts but could not find any, instead some of the tires were not balanced good. Although he said that some of the "out of balance" tires were maybe a quater of ounce off (i think) and only one front tire was ounce (?? don't really remember in what they are measuring it). all of which should create only mild vibration (mechanic's words). NO MORE VIBRATIONS WITH PROPER BALANCE!
So my advice is get your tires balanced on as modern equipment as possible, that RoadForce thing actually helped! Even slightest misbalance can cause vibrations.
and big thanks to Terry's Tire Town in Canton first to directing me to the branch with newer equipment and new branch for doing excelent job (the one one fulton and everhard in Canton,OH) - they spent hour and a half on it and didn't charged me a dime

Old 08-06-2005, 03:04 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Thanks for maintaining such poise throughout your posts. And for posting the solution. Come to think of it--congratulations for finding the solution!

Old 08-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Kandid
1st Gear
Originally Posted by morknmini
Thanks for maintaining such poise throughout your posts. And for posting the solution. Come to think of it--congratulations for finding the solution!
Thanks, I was annoyed a bit, it only took 4 times to balance the bloody tires correctly!

Old 08-06-2005, 09:17 PM
VoiD
6th Gear
I told ya..
Hunter GSP9700(the one with road force balance) is godly.

Old 08-07-2005, 04:31 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vibrations are gone!
-I got a replacement tire, took it to the local place to replace the one with slipped belt but did not tell them which one is bad. They could not find anything wrong but directed me to another place with "RoadForce"(?) machine. After about an hour of waiting the tech comes out and tells me that their machine is designed to find those slipped belts but could not find any, instead some of the tires were not balanced good. Although he said that some of the "out of balance" tires were maybe a quater of ounce off (i think) and only one front tire was ounce (?? don't really remember in what they are measuring it). all of which should create only mild vibration (mechanic's words). NO MORE VIBRATIONS WITH PROPER BALANCE!
So my advice is get your tires balanced on as modern equipment as possible, that RoadForce thing actually helped! Even slightest misbalance can cause vibrations.
and big thanks to Terry's Tire Town in Canton first to directing me to the branch with newer equipment and new branch for doing excelent job (the one one fulton and everhard in Canton,OH) - they spent hour and a half on it and didn't charged me a dime
so did they balance all 4 wheels or just the front 2?

Old 08-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Kandid
1st Gear
They rebalanced 3 wheels, only one was perfectly balanced

Old 08-10-2005, 07:25 PM
olYeller
2nd Gear
did you end up replacing one of the tires after receiving it from ER?? or did you just rebalance??

and how is it now...

Quick Reply: Vibration with new tires and wheels