Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

R81 Holeys: A Tribute.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 08:04 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R81 Holeys: A Tribute.

MotoringFile reports that the MINI R81 15" 7-hole wheel is, in fact, not going away in 2006. Yay!!....although I personally expect the wheel will depart one of these days. Why? Because MINI design (especially for Coopers) seems to be slowly creeping towards a more aggressive aethetic design. Certainly the '07s appear headed that way as well. I have no problem w/ this at all, but if the trend continues (as I expect it will), holeys will begin to look (if they don't already) more and more out of place.

So since it's staying for now I wanted to pay homage to this under-appreciated wheel just for fun based on my own observations. Here's my list of 7-hole high points:

Light. Besides being the lightest OEM wheel (13 lbs.), R81s are especially fabulous for Coopers where lightweight wheels seem to make a transforming difference in the nimble performance of the car. As one who has followed the John Cooper Challenge from the beginning, I loved seeing these OEM wheels exclusively at work in the Clubsport level of competition. That's where I grew to respect it.

Cheeky. Certainly not aggressive by commonly-accepted standards, the look of the 7-hole wheel can grow on one if given the chance. Once that happens, nothing else will do. The surprisingly complex profile of the wheel also plays optical tricks depending on viewing angle and lighting.

Aethetics. I often wonder what designers were thinking when creating such a unique and off-beat wheel. My thoughts center on the hole (of which there are seven) which make up this wheel. For those not familiar, the dimensions of the holes in the 7-hole wheel pretty closely matches up with the following circular design elements of the early-design Coopers:
- the front turn/parking light
- the rear amber turn signal light
- the exterior door handle cup
- the interior door release silver trim
- the AC vents
- the front "cup holders"
- the high-beam reflector housing

I know that the 7-hole wheel is certainly not everybody's cup of tea. To some it is a joke. It is more traditional and less serious than many of it's fine, spoked cousins or almost any aftermarket offering. But in my opinion, it does help in creating the odd MINI here and there that seeks to celebrate those cheeky, fun values which is still very "Mini"...while remaining OEM. I hope that is something which, along with all the excellent tuning, racing, aggressive-styling tweaks going on in overwhelming numbers, will never completely go out of vogue.

Old 07-25-2005, 08:42 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent essay. I love the holeys, but wish they came in 16" size. Perhaps another aesthetic notion in its designer's noggin was how to create a look companionable with the quirky nostalgia of the MINI's bodystyle. So another inspiration for the holeys might be the Dunlop racing wheel used on late 50s British racers--while the S-lites recall the ubiquitous Minilite (which I had on my fondly remembered, but not lamented, Mini). You may be right about the holey fading away with the new model. That bodystyle seems to be more wedged and muscular in appearance. Plus ca change...

Last edited by morknmini; 07-25-2005 at 08:43 PM. Reason: ww
Old 07-25-2005, 09:21 PM
asodestrom
6th Gear
Holeys with Toyo RA-1's is a great track day wheel tire combo.

Holy Holeys batman

Old 07-25-2005, 09:30 PM
doombuggy
2nd Gear
Im seriously considering buying a set of 7 hole 15s to throw on my S, but Im concerned with the smaller size looking too small or not gripping as well as a bigger wheel, but I like the simple look, I like my S-Lites but theyre very sluggish feeling to me, like its too much wheel for the MINI?
I had 2 60s Minis and I love Minilites but always liked the original steel wheels with hubcaps, I wish BMW would offer a alloy wheel in that style.
For now the holeys are close.
db

Old 07-25-2005, 09:44 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by doombuggy
Im seriously considering buying a set of 7 hole 15s to throw on my S, but Im concerned with the smaller size looking too small or not gripping as well as a bigger wheel, but I like the simple look, I like my S-Lites but theyre very sluggish feeling to me, like its too much wheel for the MINI?
I had 2 60s Minis and I love Minilites but always liked the original steel wheels with hubcaps, I wish BMW would offer a alloy wheel in that style.
For now the holeys are close.
db
R81 7-hole ET45 12.0lb (5.45kg) Finishes in silver or white
These stock rims have quite a following for a variety of reasons.
You can pick up a set fairly cheap and there are many out there.

Being 15x5.5" they are versatile for:
Street use with 205/55-15 peformance tires which should be about right in size whether your MINI is lowered or not.
Or for autocross using 205/50-15 Falken Azenis St-215 tires or R-compound
Kumho Victoracers or Kumho V710s.
Or for the track using Toyo Ra1 or Michelin Pilot Sport Cups (or the above autocross tires) in 205/50-15.

You can also powdercoat them or paint them to a color that you like and they fit perfectly on the MINI 56.1mm hub without a fuss.

And they are good light rims for any stock class autocrossing for the MC.

Go gettum.

Old 07-25-2005, 09:46 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my holeys! And they're even lighter than you say they are: 12.0 lbs according to the FAQ on MINI2. Less than half the weight of the comically named S-Lites!

The other thing that I enjoy about the holeys is how adamantly many people hate them. There are some truly scathing opinions of these wheels if you look around here. It's similar to the way in which I enjoy Cyndi Lauper.

Just like chili red and white, I didn't even consider getting anything else on my new '05. To me, this is what a MINI is supposed to look like:

Old 07-26-2005, 08:40 AM
mielnicki
6th Gear
I love my holeys, they remind me so much of my 1990 Mustangs 10-holeys. I loved that car, the MINI is the only car since that has put an even bigger smile on my face.

Steve

Old 07-26-2005, 09:03 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
always liked the original steel wheels with hubcaps, I wish BMW would offer a alloy wheel in that style.
I agree!

Old 07-26-2005, 09:31 AM
morknmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisnl
The other thing that I enjoy about the holeys is how adamantly many people hate them. There are some truly scathing opinions of these wheels if you look around here. It's similar to the way in which I enjoy Cyndi Lauper.
]
...as well as parking the wrong way.

Old 08-15-2005, 12:56 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
It took me a few years to love them, but now I'm in the market for a set of white holies. I actually specd out a 2005/2006 MC just for kicks with while holies.

Old 08-16-2005, 11:27 PM
doombuggy
2nd Gear
Im still looking for a set of these in silver but havent had much luck...
Ive contacted several dealers but no luck...
db

Old 08-17-2005, 12:49 AM
OctaneGuy
Found this on ebay, but I'm looking for white ones not silver.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Good luck!

Richard

Im still looking for a set of these in silver but havent had much luck...
Ive contacted several dealers but no luck...
db

Old 08-17-2005, 05:15 AM
doombuggy
2nd Gear
yeah i saw those I hate ebay for buying, too much hassle to set and wait till the last minute and then get out bid.

db

Old 08-17-2005, 05:41 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
I like the holeys too but I do wish they were a little bit wider even if it caused them to weigh an extra pound or so. .. .

Old 08-17-2005, 03:24 PM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
Ya, not to sound like a Pontiac commercial, but wider would be better

Their narrowness aside, I really like holeys, I have 3 sets (two silver and one white). I think they look perfect on the Mini. It's just my opinion, but I don't think that the Mini looks good with "big" wheels on it. In my mind, 16's are a hair too big (i have a set of 16" wheels also), but 15's look just right on the car.

I may be a little bit "old school", though

- Roger "too many wheels for one car" B.

Old 08-17-2005, 10:10 PM
doombuggy
2nd Gear
theres a set of 3 white Holeys on eBay right now

Old 08-17-2005, 10:12 PM
doombuggy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by satay-ayam
Ya, not to sound like a Pontiac commercial, but wider would be better

Their narrowness aside, I really like holeys, I have 3 sets (two silver and one white). I think they look perfect on the Mini. It's just my opinion, but I don't think that the Mini looks good with "big" wheels on it. In my mind, 16's are a hair too big (i have a set of 16" wheels also), but 15's look just right on the car.

I may be a little bit "old school", though

- Roger "too many wheels for one car" B.
wanna sell a silver set???

I like the old school look as well I just think the big wheels look to buzz bomb boy racer, I like the 17 S-lites ok they just lok like wagon wheels and I just wished they were lite'r.

db

Old 08-18-2005, 09:54 AM
OctaneGuy
Huh? It's got 3 wheels???

What's the link just for curiousity sake? I searched MINI Cooper 15" and MINI 15" and r81 MINI and nothing.

theres a set of 3 white Holeys on eBay right now

Old 08-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Pat_Cooper
4th Gear
Id love these on the mini in 16inch with a lower profile tire.

Old 08-19-2005, 07:44 AM
doombuggy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Huh? It's got 3 wheels???

What's the link just for curiousity sake? I searched MINI Cooper 15" and MINI 15" and r81 MINI and nothing.
its not allowing me to add a link

anyway heres the # 7994111299

Old 08-19-2005, 07:49 AM
doombuggy
2nd Gear
If I switch to MINI r81s would some people think I devalue my car??
Did the Holey R81s come on the S or is it just available on the Cooper?

this off subject but Ive even though about if I keep the car after the warranty is out, buying a set of used MINI Cooper bumpers and having them installed, I like the retro look of the Cooper with its Chrome bumper guards and think the S bumpers look too modern.
Of course I like the performance of the S.

db

Old 08-19-2005, 10:05 AM
OctaneGuy
R81's come with the non run flats MC--ie, no Sports package which defaults to the 5 star alloys.

So in a sense, it is the most basic option available. There are lots of people with either MC or MCS running holies for performance reasons for autocross, so I think if done right, it doesn't have to look like it's been devalued. Just remember you are probably going from 17" wheels to 15" so there will be a different look because of the gap!

I like the retro look as well--and I'm kinda going in the opposite direction---putting on more "S" features on my MC--side skirts, chrome cap, Aeroskit spoiler.

If I switch to MINI r81s would some people think I devalue my car??
Did the Holey R81s come on the S or is it just available on the Cooper?

this off subject but Ive even though about if I keep the car after the warranty is out, buying a set of used MINI Cooper bumpers and having them installed, I like the retro look of the Cooper with its Chrome bumper guards and think the S bumpers look too modern.
Of course I like the performance of the S.

db

Old 08-19-2005, 10:17 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
Just remember you are probably going from 17" wheels to 15" so there will be a different look because of the gap!
In principal, there shouldn't be a gap. The 15" tire will have a taller sidewall than the 17" tire, so the overall outer diameter of the wheel/tire combinations should be close to the same... Although most people that run 15's use a slightly shorter sidewall tire (205/50/15) just because all the "good" tires come in that size.

My car doesn't have the sport package, but it does have sport seats and SS+, but I ordered it with the holeys... cause I like 'em

Old 08-19-2005, 10:24 AM
OctaneGuy
Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking about that as I made the post. So it's the higher profile tire that would look weird.

Thanks to MINIUSA's infinite options configurator, I forgot you can opt to not choose the sports package and get each piece ala carte. I grew to love holies after a couple years--now I want white ones and put out the word to a couple different dealers just in case.

Richard

Originally Posted by satay-ayam
In principal, there shouldn't be a gap. The 15" tire will have a taller sidewall than the 17" tire, so the overall outer diameter of the wheel/tire combinations should be close to the same... Although most people that run 15's use a slightly shorter sidewall tire (205/50/15) just because all the "good" tires come in that size.

My car doesn't have the sport package, but it does have sport seats and SS+, but I ordered it with the holeys... cause I like 'em

Old 08-19-2005, 12:34 PM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
Keep looking, you can find them reasonably priced. I got my set of white holeys (used) for seriously cheap ($100/4). I also bought a brand new set from Classic Mini, at what I consider to be a pretty fair price ($139/ea or something ... can't really remember).

Quick Reply: R81 Holeys: A Tribute.