Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tire dumb person with a question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire dumb person with a question

ok... I have the

Pirelli
P 265/45 R17 84V

^no idea what that means BUTTTTTT

I was doing some spirited driving... and didn't here any skreeching from the tires.... is this normal?

-Josh

Old 07-29-2005, 08:54 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
That's probably because you weren't moving! The width of the tire would probably contact the suspension and the outer fender well. I hope the 265 was a typo. :smile:

Old 07-29-2005, 08:56 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
on your cooper-s?

you can't fit that, can you?

P 265/45 R17 84V

Old 07-29-2005, 08:56 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe you should try driving a bit more spirited. . . ?

Old 07-29-2005, 08:59 PM
dragonwang
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
absolutely no way! , unless you do a widebody :D

Old 07-29-2005, 09:02 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
i will go check again... and bring a flashlight...

hrmmmm
ok ok ok

its 205.... not 265

and my def of "spirited drive" is spinning wheels through 1st gear and then a bit into second gear.... and no skreechin just the sound of the tires spinning too fast without moving...

-Josh

Old 07-29-2005, 09:07 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Let's start a pool. What does he really have? I guest 205/45-17. :smile:

Steve

Old 07-29-2005, 09:13 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Just go faster and turn tighter, they'll screech. :smile:

Steve

Old 07-29-2005, 09:21 PM
myzamboni
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Battle Cattle
and my def of "spirited drive" is spinning wheels through 1st gear and then a bit into second gear.... and no skreechin just the sound of the tires spinning too fast without moving...

-Josh
Get off the dirt road and onto some pavement

Old 07-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
So i am guessing from the semi-smart/funny replies... that this isn't normal... I am not new with spirited driving in higher performance cars. Its just that I feel like something is wrong since they don't make a sound I just get to a point and boom... my rear end is sliding without any real warning

-Josh

Old 07-29-2005, 09:33 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Maybe you have lightened up the rearend too much and it's breaking loose for lack of traction? No suspension mods?

Steve

Old 07-29-2005, 09:35 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
all stock except for no rear seat... and new dial faces... but I do have a 1/4in sheet of AL inplace of the seats weighing in at about...10lbs...maybe 15ish..

Its just a bit scary when your sideways on a city street... like WTF!

-Josh

Old 07-29-2005, 09:42 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
The front end doesn't slide? Are you braking when the rear gets loose? Or does it come loose under power? I'm no expert with front drive, but I have had a lot of experience with rear engine, rear drive. My guess is if you are losing the rearend and have plenty of grip in the front, you could gas it and pull the rear around behind you.

Steve

Old 07-29-2005, 09:49 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
The sliding is the least of my concern...its the no warning sliding... does the no noise coming from tires mean something wrong or something that I will have to get use to? I just don't want something wrong with my tires and continue to drive spirited and have something majorly wrong happen to them or the car.

-Josh

Old 07-29-2005, 09:56 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Well, I don't know how you drive or if those are the stock runflats, but there is usually some indication (feel) that they are about to go. Or if you run on the hairy edge all the time, then anything like a little sand, oil or water on the road is going to get you. City streets are not perfectly clean surfaces so you have to watch out.

Steve

Old 07-29-2005, 09:57 PM
SRTech
Former Vendor
Make sure they are not over-inflated. That will definitely make them slide easier.

Steve

Old 07-29-2005, 10:03 PM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SRTech
Well, I don't know how you drive or if those are the stock runflats, but there is usually some indication (feel) that they are about to go. Or if you run on the hairy edge all the time, then anything like a little sand, oil or water on the road is going to get you. City streets are not perfectly clean surfaces so you have to watch out.

Steve
Being my last post for tonight... its WAY to late...

I drive with ASC off all the time (that should tell you something)... and even the tires are stock. If tire won't give me any sound feedback I will have to adjust; if it sounds like something is wrong with them... PLEASE let me know.

-Josh

Old 07-30-2005, 04:40 AM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Josh,

I hope you are not driving on public highways when you are spinning your wheels thru 1st and 2nd gears and getting sideways.

Is this your first front wheel drive preformance car? When you say the rear end slides without warning just what are you doing when this happens? Are you accelerating thru a corner or are you coasting or on the brakes or a sudden lifting off the gas when it happens?

If you are lifting, you are the cause of the slide. DON'T DO THAT!

If you are on the brakes in a corner, you are the cause. DON'T DO THAT!

Some tire are more communicative than others. If you are waiting for audible signals from the tires I think you need to make an adjustment and learn to feel the car and what it is telling you thru the steering wheel and the drivers seat about what is happening. The signals are there, you just may be looking in the wrong spots for them.

Have you checked the air pressure in the tires? With run-flats this needs to be done with a pressure gauge at least once a month. You can not see underinflation in the sidewalls as you can with conventional tires. Make sure the pressure is set to factory specs.

Better yet, enroll yourself in a driving school at the nearest local track or find an auto-X club in the area and do you "spirited driving" someplace safe for the rest of the population.

Old 07-30-2005, 08:29 AM
Battle Cattle
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bilbo-Baggins
Josh,

I hope you are not driving on public highways when you are spinning your wheels thru 1st and 2nd gears and getting sideways.

Is this your first front wheel drive preformance car? When you say the rear end slides without warning just what are you doing when this happens? Are you accelerating thru a corner or are you coasting or on the brakes or a sudden lifting off the gas when it happens?

If you are lifting, you are the cause of the slide. DON'T DO THAT!

If you are on the brakes in a corner, you are the cause. DON'T DO THAT!

Some tire are more communicative than others. If you are waiting for audible signals from the tires I think you need to make an adjustment and learn to feel the car and what it is telling you thru the steering wheel and the drivers seat about what is happening. The signals are there, you just may be looking in the wrong spots for them.

Have you checked the air pressure in the tires? With run-flats this needs to be done with a pressure gauge at least once a month. You can not see underinflation in the sidewalls as you can with conventional tires. Make sure the pressure is set to factory specs.

Better yet, enroll yourself in a driving school at the nearest local track or find an auto-X club in the area and do you "spirited driving" someplace safe for the rest of the population.
You sound like you were sitting in the passenger seat with me... I must be doing EVERYTHING wrong... time to go to driving school! But I am really happy its not a mechanical or tire problem... and that its me!!!!

-Josh

Old 07-30-2005, 08:32 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
you might want to double check your tire pressure... could also be a cuplrit... may not be the reason, but may have helped it