Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Wilwood BBK, post your kits and specs!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wilwood BBK, post your kits and specs!

From doing some searches on the Wilwood kits and not completely finding all the info I need to order one I'm trying to see if this will help. I've tried some of the wheel fitment test techniques from the TCE and Wilwood websites but i just don't think i did them correctly.

So if you have either the 11.75 race kit or the 12.19 street kit it would be invaluable if you could post which one your running along with which wheels you are using or have proven will work with each kit. Please post wheels size and offsets if possible.

Also having pictures would be great!

Thanx!

I've had these pictures on my hardrive for a while but forgot which kit it is and if spacers are being used. I had gotten them from Todd but i think even he has forgotten the details on them since they're from so long ago

Thanx for any input you guys can provide and i hope this thread can help many people in the future who are on the fence about buying these kits due to wheel fitment and such.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:37 AM
pyugala
3rd Gear
My 11.75 kit fits the 16" X-Lite with out spacer .

Old 08-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pyugala

pyugala, you are a GOD! Thats the exact answer i was looking for! Looks like i'll be ordering the 11.75 kit tomorrow. How is the fit? Snug, is there much more room between the spokes and caliper? Do you have any closer pics than in your sig?

Thanx!

Old 08-02-2005, 05:02 PM
HHFD633
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wilwood bbk noisy?

i have heard that the wilwood bbk is noisy. I dont know excactly what noise means. I was looking to purchase this kit and was told be a few poeple in my area that it was noisy.

Can anyone elaberate on this?

Old 08-02-2005, 05:18 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by HHFD633
i have heard that the wilwood bbk is noisy. I dont know excactly what noise means. I was looking to purchase this kit and was told be a few poeple in my area that it was noisy.

Can anyone elaberate on this?
I can imagine it completely depends on what pads you are running. If you've ever been around dedicated race cars you would notice their brakes can sometimes be incredibly noisy. They usually sound squeeky (stuff we try to avoid street cars) and very rough. So if you are running an agressive track pad on any BBK you'll get that same noise. But if you talk to Todd from TCE he'll show you that there are many different pads offered for the wilwood BBK's. I think the Q pad is supposed to be very quiet and even have less dust than the stockers, dont' quote me though.

Here's a link to his website with descriptions of all the different pads:

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/pads.html

Here's a the description of the Q Pad:

"Q" Compound
PolyMatrix "Q" is a ceramic enhanced formula developed for ultra quiet performance for custom street and hot rod applications. This revolutionary new friction material has improved stopping power over all types of OE pads, with quieter stopping and lower dust than any non-asbestos, organic or metallic based compounds. "Q" has smooth engagement, long service life, quick recovery, and high fade resistance.
Now the 11.75 kit comes with the E pad which if you check that page is more of a track pad but will work on the street. So if someone in your area has the 11.75 kit it might be a bit noisy and thats why the rumor spread.

Old 08-02-2005, 05:32 PM
bgrpph
3rd Gear
I've had race 11.75 kit with SSR 15 X 7 comps, use 5mm spacer. I used E pads all the time on street without any issue or noise. Every now & then i get a brief squeel but its not as bad as ferodo 2500 pads in stock calipers. Had a weird squeeking noise when pedal depressed even at stop with the race kit on the last set of pads- wilwood advised to switch pads around and it went away. Said it was probably uneven wear pattern from track.

Old 08-02-2005, 06:29 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It may have been me who said that I was experiencing noise? I was at one time but found that it was a blown strut rather then the brakes themselves.

I use the TCE Willwood 13" kit, in fact I'm on my second one being that I track my car quite hard. The stopping power of this kit is outstanding.

Thameth, got your PM. Seems that your questions have been answered here.

Old 08-02-2005, 06:53 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I have most of them....lol

On a serious note I want to point out that the pics up top are very misleading. Not intentional as we PM'd about it.

The pics shown are some very early TCE prototype work on a 12.2 kit with the DP caliper. It very closely mirrors that of the factory WW box kit. Thus I opted to drop any further work on my own version of it. We were both working on the same product and I cannot compete with them on price when they produce many the same parts.

That being said, the pics are not what is in the WW factory kit with regard to hats and rotors. And the pics were mock up only- I don't think we ever put it into use!

The wheel fit issue is tricky. The TCE kits are spec'd out on the FAQ tab of the site, but they do not include the smaller kits. Both of the smaller kits are listed on the Wilwood.com site and by clicking the part number you'll have much the same data as I've posted. They add the air gap however and I do not. What is puzzling to me is that with a greater offset hat (such as my own) the whole DP caliper kit could have sat further inboard. As I'd planned here. The reality is that the TCE 13 and the 12.2 WW kit are not that far off from one another! Strange. But I'm not their engineer..

Old 08-02-2005, 07:09 PM
pyugala
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Thameth
pyugala, you are a GOD! Thats the exact answer i was looking for! Looks like i'll be ordering the 11.75 kit tomorrow. How is the fit? Snug, is there much more room between the spokes and caliper? Do you have any closer pics than in your sig?

Thanx!
It is a very snug fitting. About 2mm clearance between the caliper and spokes, they fit fine though. I ran a few auto x with this set up with out any problem. On the street the E pad is a bit noisy, you might want to get another set of street pad as well.

Thanks

Old 08-03-2005, 01:35 AM
crazyaboutmini
4th Gear
stubid question, but does the 11.75" have a wear pad sensor?

Old 08-03-2005, 06:44 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
No. Few of the aftermarket kits include this feature. The reason is simply that the pads for the calipers would have to acccomodate a vast assortment of sensors and clips etc.

The ease of removing and installing the pads makes changing quick and easy. To view the amount of pad left from time to time a telescoping inspection mirror would be the quickest if you prefer not to remove the wheel.

Old 08-03-2005, 06:48 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by toddtce
No. Few of the aftermarket kits include this feature. The reason is simply that the pads for the calipers would have to acccomodate a vast assortment of sensors and clips etc.

The ease of removing and installing the pads makes changing quick and easy. To view the amount of pad left from time to time a telescoping inspection mirror would be the quickest if you prefer not to remove the wheel.
Yea I change my wheels at least once a month to swap out for autocross or track days so i usually check my pads then. I can't wait to be able to swap pads in minutes for track events.

Old 08-03-2005, 07:16 AM
lsd05jcw
3rd Gear
great posts... pls keep it up

I'm very curious about fitment, and have had a hard time quantifying what will fit and what will not... To know that the 11.75 kit fits 16inch r84 is great information! and the ssr 15x7 works with small spacer.. Anyone try to fit 15x7 BBS RG-F offset 42 with the 11.75 race kit? I have been going with stock set up with race pads... but would love the possibility to upgrade for summer track use...

Thanks everyone for the input...

Last edited by lsd05jcw; 08-03-2005 at 07:17 AM. Reason: grammer error
Old 08-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lsd05jcw
I'm very curious about fitment, and have had a hard time quantifying what will fit and what will not... To know that the 11.75 kit fits 16inch r84 is great information! and the ssr 15x7 works with small spacer.. Anyone try to fit 15x7 BBS RG-F offset 42 with the 11.75 race kit? I have been going with stock set up with race pads... but would love the possibility to upgrade for summer track use...

Thanks everyone for the input...

Pretty much the main reason why i started this thread!

From my measurements (probably wrong) using the Wilwood PDF it showed it wouldn't fit the 16in R84's (xlites). But now we have proof that it does. Also when i was searching the kit i noticed there were three other posts at least asking if the kit will work with ROTA wheels. I have two sets of Rota wheels for street and track so i'll be able to post pics and dimensions if everything works ok. From my measurements it seems that the Rota's have alot more clearance than the Xlites so it shouldn't be a problem, but we'll see when they get here.

Old 08-11-2005, 08:32 AM
gobble
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pyugala
What do you mean by 16" X-Lite? I thought the 16" wheel was called the V-Spoke and the X-Lite was a 17" wheel.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Thameth
5th Gear
Originally Posted by gobble
What do you mean by 16" X-Lite? I thought the 16" wheel was called the V-Spoke and the X-Lite was a 17" wheel.
Nope, the 17" is called the S-Lite. The 16" is currently called the V-spoke but it used to be called the X-Lite (at least around here). Its also had another name which can usually cause a mess on the boards when people are trying to figure out what wheels your talking about.

I think the faq post on wheel weights in this forum has pictures of all the different wheels.

Of the course the 17in S-lite isn't really that "lite" at all hehe, i think it weighs something like 22-25lbs....

Old 09-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Thameth
5th Gear
Quick question for some of you guys with the Wilwood BBK. Did everybodies kit come with the Safety wire for the Rotor Bolt kit? Did everybody install that wire? Also did anyboy have problems with the incorrect number of bolts coming in the the kit?

Old 09-18-2005, 06:35 PM
pyugala
3rd Gear
The wire didn't come with my kit, I had to get some locally. Install the wire!! :smile:

Old 09-22-2005, 11:59 PM
zerofighter
2nd Gear
Anyone have any pics of the 13" kit installed? Also 12.2" would be great as well. As for the differences, how much stopping power does the the 13" increase over the 12.2"? Is there possibly going to be a group-buy on these badboys?

Old 09-23-2005, 06:18 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
There are a few on car pics on the bottom of the TCE web site under MINI:
www.tceperformanceproducts.com

There is really no increase in 'stopping power' via a larger rotor. Only more torque. That added torque just means less clamping pressure is required to attain the same total value. For that reason there are slight variations in the piston areas of each caliper per kit.

Old 09-23-2005, 11:08 AM
zerofighter
2nd Gear
I see, do the calipers come in any other colors? besides black? I say that it says they do not come in red? Would you recommend I get them powder coated if I want them blue or red?

edit: on your Plus 4: TCE/Wilwood 13" x .81" Street Sport kit, what finish is the rotor? Is it just plane, or can I get it JUST slotted, rather then cross-drilled and slotted?

edit2: the rear kit uses the stock caliper? Is there anyway to get on that says "wilwood" or one that looks a little better?

Old 09-23-2005, 11:42 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
1. Calipers can be painted or PC'd if you do them. I can help expedite it here if you wish as well. There is no WW factory applied red to these parts. Eastwood and othere paints have worked well. (see the red on the SRT4 Page with the big calipers- those were customer painted, and they are more red than pink)

2. All prices are SLOTTED and ZINC plated. Drilled cost extra, plain is the same price zinc plated or not. (may not have blanks on the shelf, possible delay)

3. Stock caliper rear only. Retains parking brake. No alternatives at this time.

Old 09-24-2005, 02:21 PM
vader
4th Gear
Here's a front and rear pic after installing the TCE Street Sport kit and rear upgrade. I painted the rear caliper black to match the Wilwood front.
Wheels are 17" Konig Holes, no spacers required.

Old 09-24-2005, 02:51 PM
zerofighter
2nd Gear
Some more questions, you must love me now, haha!

I was talking to one of my techs that I work with, and he was telling me to see if it has a pressure regulator. As well as is there going to be anything that I will need extra, such as lines, fluids, etc?

Alright, I'll stop annoying you with questions....for now.

Old 09-24-2005, 02:54 PM
Vinyl Styles
Banned
The Wilwood TCE kit is awesome, I am very glad I got these(front and rear), they have saved me in numerous critical situations. Thanks to Todd @ TCE for all the info and help.

Quick Reply: Wilwood BBK, post your kits and specs!