Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

New Proxes 4 @ 215 45 17 and rubbing issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 11:41 AM
miniwiley
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Proxes 4 @ 215 45 17 and rubbing issues

Hi Folks,

I finally made the switch to aftermarket tires! Happy to report that the ride quality has improved dramatically (I can hear the I-told-you-so's echoing)...

However -- I'm experiencing some slight rubbing issues. With me and my wife in the front seats (175 + 115 lbs.) and no cargo, slight dips in the road (at highway speeds) or somewhat aggressive (though seemingly standard for a MINI) cornering cause the outer edges of the 2 rear Proxes to rub. Nothing drastic, but the scrape sound is a little disconcerting.

I've searched for and read as many posts as I could find regarding this tire size (215 45 17, on stock 02 MCS suspension). Most of what I've read says that the rubbing will diminish over time as it will "wear down the trim plastic" on the rear wheel arches. I just don't like this noise, and worry about prolonged damage.

So the questions: Is this a desirable situation, in that the rubbing affects both the shoulder of the tires and the plastic of the trim? How long will the scraping last, and will it affect tire wear life? Should I be worried? And finally, should I go back to my tire shop and pay out for labor to swap out for Proxes 4 at the stock size of 205 45 17?

I know these questions are really personal judgements calls, but you're all such a helpful resource that I'd like to know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Old 08-08-2005, 12:30 PM
blalor
6th Gear
What wheels are you using?

Old 08-08-2005, 01:15 PM
miniwiley
2nd Gear
wheels are 17" s-lites

as post title indicates, s-lites.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
If you are very careful, you can trim the inside edge of the fender flares with a box cutter. I have the same tires on Hamanns and they are awesome!

Old 08-08-2005, 02:01 PM
eMINI
5th Gear
I have 215/45/17's on an '05 MCS w/ a stock suspension. The offset on my wheels moves the tires outboard relative to stock. I had the same/similar rubbing on the rears for a few hundred miles when the suspension was compressed. I worried a little. And, until I read your post, I didn't even realize it had stopped:smile: I guess it depends how bad the rubbing sounds, but it's probably no big deal. You could pull the wheels off and take a look. There will be marks. The marks will give you another clue as to how severe the rubbing is. I think you should be fine with the tire size you chose.

Old 08-11-2005, 07:16 PM
pure&simple
3rd Gear
I'm running 225/45/16s on SSR Comps. I have (had?) rubbing in the rear but the thin plastic fender liner has pretty much lost the battle. As others have said, it's nothing to be worried about. Extremely slight wear on the outer fringe of the tire. Barely noticable. I'll try to remember to snap a few pics this weekend as I plan to adjust my shocks and rear swaybar.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:20 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
[QUOTE=miniwiley]
I've searched for and read as many posts as I could find regarding this tire size (215 45 17, on stock 02 MCS suspension). Most of what I've read says that the rubbing will diminish over time as it will "wear down the trim plastic" on the rear wheel arches. I just don't like this noise, and worry about prolonged damage.

So the questions: Is this a desirable situation, in that the rubbing affects both the shoulder of the tires and the plastic of the trim? How long will the scraping last, and will it affect tire wear life? Should I be worried? And finally, should I go back to my tire shop and pay out for labor to swap out for Proxes 4 at the stock size of 205 45 17?
QUOTE]

miniwiley,

Lets assume that your tire pressure is in the right range about 33-37 psi all around. Please check if you are unsure. Lets also assume you are driving at the speed limit or close to it.

No this is not a desirable situation, it is a result of the tire size and the load you have on your suspension given the roads you drive on at a given speed. You will rub both the plastic and the rubber off.

At some point (few 1000 miles) you will wear down the tire tread and some of the shoulder and some of the inner plastic lining and the rubbing issue will be lessened and might get drastically better (this happened to me as I have never trimmed by inner wheel trim). Everytime you get new 215/45-17 tires you risk getting rubbing again.

Should you be worried? Nope. If you are really bothered by the rubbing then decide if you want to use either 215/40-17 or 205/45-17 tires which should do fine.

Is it a major problem? Nope. I fixed my rubbing by upgrading to Bilstein PSS9 coil overs. I can adjust ride height to anything I want and I can adjust dampening of the shocks as well. So I dropped my MINI even more and softened the ride and I get no rubbing except if I load up my rear seat with passengers. Most of the time I ride alone so there is no problem. Two people is also not a problem.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:59 PM
eMINI
5th Gear
Two words: Dremel tool.