Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tire pressure and rotation

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 06:40 AM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire pressure and rotation

I have a 2005 MCS with Yokohama AVS ES 100 tires. What is the recommended tire pressure? How often should I rotate the tires?

Old 08-15-2005, 09:06 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry Clemens
I have a 2005 MCS with Yokohama AVS ES 100 tires. What is the recommended tire pressure? How often should I rotate the tires?
33-34 psi - rotated front to rear every 3 k!

Alex

Old 11-17-2005, 10:04 AM
sunchaser
1st Gear
Is that psi the same for front and back? I just got the same tires. Some say to have more in the front and less in the rear? Also, I was told 32psi.

Thansk

Old 11-18-2005, 06:02 PM
apexer
6th Gear
I run 34lbs both F&R unless I am going to autox. I've played with 34F 32R and seemed OK for street. My ES100s only have about 1k miles on them so, I'll have to check the wear to see what pressures they seem to like. And for sure rotate front to rear at least every 3K miles.

Old 02-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Z MINI
1st Gear
what's the best pressure & rotation cycle for Avon Tech M550 A/S ?

Old 02-27-2006, 09:42 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Z MINI
what's the best pressure & rotation cycle for Avon Tech M550 A/S ?
30-33 psi
Rotate every 3-5k front to rear.

Alex

Old 02-27-2006, 09:56 AM
Morris9982
4th Gear
For around $5 you can get a tire tread depth gauge at almost any of the major auto parts stores. Use it to measure the tread depth, either in 1/32nds of an inch or in millimeters. That way you will know for sure the difference between front and rear depths and when to rotate, regardless of mileage.

You can also use the gauge to precisely measure the depth across the width of the tires to see if you are getting excess wear anywhere and then make whatever adjustments you want to even it out.

I have around 6,000 miles on my factory 17" run flats and I've rotated once. I've got 9/32" on all four tires.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:16 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
It is time to rotate MIB's tires. I have a floor jack, and 1/2 inch ratchet. But I don't have the tork wrench or socket. What size socket do I need? If I place the floor jack at the front jacking point, can I rotate front to rear repositioning the floor jack?

Old 02-27-2006, 10:42 AM
Goose
3rd Gear
You'll need a 17mm socket and a torque wrench that can handle the 88.5 lbs required. Sears has a decent one currently on sale for about $65. Yes, you should be able to rotate a side at a time using the front jacking point. Be careful, though!

I just rotated my tires the other day. Here's a little tip I shared on the subject, in case you're interested.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=62203

Old 02-27-2006, 11:51 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
I just got word from a MINICCI member on the MINICCI forums that according to the manual I shouldn't rotate the tires.

Can anyone confirm or deny this for me. MrsDiff has MIB and the manual will not be home untill 9:30 tonight.

If I don't rotate the tires, I know that the fronts will wear out much sooner than the rear tires do!

He also went on to suggest I rotate rears to front and then cross the fronts to the rear, should I decide to go against the manual and rotate.

Old 02-27-2006, 12:01 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
It says not to rotate the tires. There are many hypotheses as to why it says that; my personal opinion is that they do it so people don't end up neglecting it and putting very worn tires on the rear, where they are much more dangerous.

Rotate them every 3-5k if you want max life is what I have researched and decided upon.

mb

Old 03-09-2006, 11:31 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seeing as how the snow just never showed up this winter, it's time to put my summer wheels back on. I've got 6,800 miles on the tires, and they haven't been rotated. Is is too late for me to switch the front and rear? I don't drive all that crazily, and there's no obvious difference in the tread wear between the fronts and rears.

And if I rotate the front tires to the back, should I cross them as well?

Old 03-09-2006, 06:39 PM
apexer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chrisneal
Seeing as how the snow just never showed up this winter, it's time to put my summer wheels back on. I've got 6,800 miles on the tires, and they haven't been rotated. Is is too late for me to switch the front and rear? I don't drive all that crazily, and there's no obvious difference in the tread wear between the fronts and rears.

And if I rotate the front tires to the back, should I cross them as well?
If wear looks the same on all four (rare for a Mini regardless of how you drive) you could put them back on the way they were but, since their already off, why not rotate. You didn't say what tires you have. If they are directional, all you can do is rotate fronts to rear, rear to fronts. If they are not directional, rotate fronts to rear, cross rears to front

Old 03-09-2006, 07:41 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by apexer
If wear looks the same on all four (rare for a Mini regardless of how you drive) you could put them back on the way they were but, since their already off, why not rotate. You didn't say what tires you have. If they are directional, all you can do is rotate fronts to rear, rear to fronts. If they are not directional, rotate fronts to rear, cross rears to front
Right - I forgot to mention I have the stock 15" Conti "all-seasons," which I believe are directional, so that would limit me to front-rear rotation. Thanks!

Old 05-29-2006, 10:36 PM
Vernon29RW
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by apexer
Just thought I'd kick this thread up again. I have an '05 that I got last September and I now have about 5800 miles. I too never have had a tire rotation done. I am very disappointed in Mini's stand on this issue. I think it is plain careless of them. They are not watching out for their customers at all. I think unless they are goign to include $250 run flat tire replacements in part of their pre paid maintenance program then they should come up with some sort of recommended interval for tire rotations. Anyways the reason why I quoted Apexer is because he said to cross rotate the rears to the front. I have always understood that that is a bad habit to get into. I've read other places taht the steel belts inside the tires can become broken into rotating a specific way and by cross rotating you are switching the rotation direction of those rear tires. Just wanted someone elses take on this and maybe if someone else has heard this please chime in. I've always rotated my cars front to rear same side, never crossed and had great luck with other tires. Just my $.02.
Thanks guys,
Steve