Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

How To Fix Run Flats?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 08:37 AM
MINIATIC
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To Fix Run Flats?

I need to know if there is any way to fix the run flat tires, washing the car yesterday I found a nail in one of my rears...DO I HAVE TO REPLACE THE TIRE... so far the monitor has not warmed me about losing air pressure? should I wait? .... and then changed??? can it be fixed?

Old 08-15-2005, 10:22 AM
nerd
2nd Gear
I have had 2 tires with nails. I took the car to Discount Tire and they patched it. My last tire had the nail to close to the sidewall so they wouldn't repair it. I ordered the tire from them for a total of $260. Here in Albuquerque the dealer quoted my girlfriend $350 for the tire and another $100 for the mounting. They wouldn't patch it.

Try Discount Tire.

Brad

Old 08-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$100 to mount a tire. . . ?? Ridiculous!

You can definitely get it patched just like a regular tire!

Old 08-15-2005, 10:31 AM
MINIATIC
3rd Gear
SO IT CAN GET PATCH.. Iwill take it to a tire shop and see what they're take is on it. ... Why did the dealer said, run-flats can't get patch..are they any safety considerations involved??

Old 08-15-2005, 10:36 AM
nerd
2nd Gear
I'm not sure what the dealer is saying. We got the same response form them. With my girlfriend's 2 nails and mine in my car we saved about $1,200 by using Discount Tire. The one by my house doesn't charge for tire repair.

Old 08-15-2005, 10:54 AM
Agro
Coordinator :: Sin City MINI Club & AMVIV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big O Tires patched one of my runflats that picked up a screw. The warning light flashed and stayed lit. They charged me $19 for the repair.

Old 08-15-2005, 10:54 AM
sdiver
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, runflats can be patched. In fact, I just had one patched on Friday.

I managed to pickup a nice hunk of sharp metal in the passenger side rear tire. The flat tire monitor went off, and when I found a gas station a few miles up the road to pull over in, there was zero air pressure in the tire. So I filled her back up with air, to notice that the tire was gushing air. So I nursed it over to a nearby Tires Plus where they patched it up for $25

Now the tire is as good as semi-new . After all, it is a runflat

Old 08-15-2005, 11:02 AM
Apex
1st Gear
I am suprised that Discount Tire would patch it. Many Tire retailers (such as Firestone) will not touch it as soon as they hear the word "runflat".

The issue with patching a runflat comes from the tire manufacturer, and granted they are probably being overly causious, the dealers go by what the manufactures tell them. According to Perellis web site "The principle is based on reinforced sidewalls with additional insert strips and temperature-resistant rubber compounds, allowing near retention of the tires' original profile even when the pressure drops to zero." The problem with patching is that if some one drove for extended periods on a tire with little or no air in it, it starts to break down the structural integrity of the tires sidewall. If that happens and the tire is then patched, it could result in a blow-out of the side wall.
Personally, I think that as long as they have not been driven too long with little or no air, there should not be any issues. The tire manufactures can't say this though because it opens them up to al lot of "but I only drove for 10 miles before I had it replaced. But it blew out on me." So it is safer for them (leaglly) to just say that they can not be repaired.
If they do patch it for you though, have them do a plug and a patch over it.

Old 08-15-2005, 11:21 AM
MINIATIC
3rd Gear
Your help is very appreciated.. Apex, thank you for the detailed info, It makes a lot of sense now. I will drive to te shop to get that fixed. Hope you all ave a great day, and thank you for your imput.. I will post something about my experience once I went troug the process..