Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Newb question... front, rear, or both brake pads and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Ranzo
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb question... brake pads and rotors

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what is are the advantages and disadvantages of setting up brake pads and rotors either just in the front, or just in the rear, or both front and rear.

I do mostly street driving and some canyon carving, I got 15" Momos. Would you guys recommend a brake kit or other brake modification set ups?

If so any recommendations for good quality products that's got more bang for the buck?

Your input is much appreciated! Thanks!

Randy

Old 08-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Powerslot Cryogentic Rotors with Hawk HPS pads - a great setup for spirited street driving, autocross - and light track work. $618 plus shipping.

Alex

Old 08-19-2005, 10:46 AM
Ranzo
4th Gear
Do I get the front ones or do I get the rear ones or do I get both? What are the advantages and disadvantage of each option? I see a lot of cars with just the front brake pads... Thanks!

Randy

Old 08-19-2005, 10:51 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ranzo
Do I get the front ones or do I get the rear ones or do I get both? What are the advantages and disadvantage of each option? I see a lot of cars with just the front brake pad...
if you run a different temp compound on your brakes, you can have too much bite in the front... most people will probably recommend doing all 4...

that said, on a track, some people swap to higher performance pads up front as it is the one getting the load done... the ferodo ds3000/2500 combo on the track seems like a good combo

Old 08-19-2005, 06:42 PM
supersand
2nd Gear
I think the reasoning for upgrading the front brakes is that under braking the cars weight shifts to the front wheels and this is where the maximum amount of tire grip is (with the car's weight shifted forward) and consequently where the most braking force can be applied before the tires loose grip and lock up. I'm not sure about the biasing (front/rear division of braking force) of cars with a BBK up front and stock brakes on the rear, but I imagine this is something the engineers/ designers of aftermarket kits take into consideration, so your probably alright just upgrading the fronts.... it seems that lots of people here on NAM have upgraded just the fronts without any problems.

Erik