Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

what do you think of 19" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 08:20 PM
mybroscoop
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow Rally i agree with everything you said in this thread, thanks for representin us youngins!

Old 08-21-2005, 08:29 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mybroscoop
wow Rally i agree with everything you said in this thread, thanks for representin us youngins!
No problem dude....we gotta stick together

Old 08-21-2005, 08:30 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
good choice U cant go wrong!!!

HRE's are kool, but before U commit check out i-forged or dtm autohaus at i-forged talk 2 Vince he's kool people.

they do alot of aggressive fitments and their wheel material is of the same HRE uses but lower in price.
as for ur choice in diameter go for it they will help to get u there w/out much compromise and the ultimate key to modding is be unique. BIG WHEELS ON A MINI ROCK

Originally Posted by hamann
iM GETTING HRE 540R

Old 08-21-2005, 10:08 PM
mini552
4th Gear
19 inches & counting

Originally Posted by RallyMINI
I'm gonna respond just for the sake of a discussion...i dont mean to come off as "jumping on you" It's all in fun.

Who can say what's right? Many times they know their car will handle a little less well in track conditions. Knowing that their car will never be a track car, these tuners are after a certain look. This look may not agree with what you think looks best, but can you say that yours is the "correct" look? I doubt it. That's what is so great about cars, there will always be a group that is going against the grain with their creations and art. The hot rodders were doing things to their cars that were much different from what most people were doing to their cars. Look what happened to that tuning group.

Today there is a whole new group of tuners (often young...but be careful, im 20 and still roll with 15s...we arent ALL in this group). This group of tuners is doing some crazy things from 20 inch rims to installing mobile electronics that others had never thought possible. Some people will think that these things are "wrong" or "stupid", but again, those people have no right to judge and decide what is "right"

Handling may not be their ultimate goal. I would bet that a large majority will never see the track anyways, so why worry about handling at the limit? To the owners, the car may LOOK way better....and that may be their main objective for their wheel purchase. I have yet to ever meet a mini owner who was buying 19's for performance, they will all tell me that, yah, it is for looks. If you wanted performance you would be getting 16s or even 15s. (I read a good article in eurotuner. On a track, the 15s turned the lowest track times, but the 17s were much more predictable....they chose 16s as a compromise for their jetta).

Handling isnt everything to everyone. It may be what you gauge the value of your car and mods on (hehe i do too, dont worry)....but some people gauge it on looks, some on speed, and some on dyno numbers. No one is right, no one is wrong. Hmmm maybe everyone is right....but still, no one is wrong. You have your opinion that wheels on minis should be no bigger than 17. Some people may believe that a car should have rims that are atleast 19 inches. Heck....in some rap song they say "gotta be 24s" . Those are all different opinions, but unfortunately(or fortunately), there is no ultimate truth. So....do what YOU like, and WE will do what WE like, and we can all come together and share the diverse artwork that is our cars
No offense taken - point is, the lead off post was a question "what do you think of 19s" - I told him what I thought of 19s - didn't say HE couldn't do what HE likes . . .
:smile:

Old 08-25-2005, 12:03 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
I'll never conform!!!

RallyMINI, you are my hero. Seriously though, thanks for sticking up for those of us who dont track our cars and have our own style and opinions. You said it well. To each his own. And my 18's ride better than my stock 16" runflats, and look a hell of a lot better. I'll probably go with 19's next time around too.

Old 08-25-2005, 12:26 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Huge wheels don't just sap performance on the track; they affect your acceleration and braking distance in everyday driving as well, because you're adding a lot of rotational mass to the car, which causes it to be less nimble overall. You can counteract the increased braking distance if you go with with bigger brakes, but the acceleration and nimbleness is a sacrifce that you're making.

That's not to say it's wrong if that's what you want and what you like. I just wanted to point out that physics is in fact at work every time you drive your car, not just on the track.

Comparing 16s with runflats to 18s with non-runflats seems kind of pointless to me. It just obscures the real comparison.

Old 08-25-2005, 12:40 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisnl
Huge wheels don't just sap performance on the track; they affect your acceleration and braking distance in everyday driving as well, because you're adding a lot of rotational mass to the car, which causes it to be less nimble overall. You can counteract the increased braking distance if you go with with bigger brakes, but the acceleration and nimbleness is a sacrifce that you're making.

That's not to say it's wrong if that's what you want and what you like. I just wanted to point out that physics is in fact at work every time you drive your car, not just on the track. Comparing 16s with runflats to 18s with non-runflats seems kind of pointless to me. It just obscures the real comparison.
I think this is one of those points that is rather overstated. While physics do correspond with your point, any differences are rather subtle and not something that most people would consider a real drawback. I know this first hand from driving and tracking MINIs with every official wheel and tire size offered. All you have to do is look at production based racing series (WRC on tarmac, DTM, America LeMan, etc) to see that large diameter wheels are popular performance accessories for a good reason. They have real performance benefits and (to most of us) look amazing.

Old 08-25-2005, 12:48 PM
VoiD
6th Gear
bigger wheels suffer performance because they are usually heavier than the smaller diameter wheels.. But how much do the S-lites w/ runflats weigh?

Old 08-25-2005, 12:51 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the perspective on that, Gabe. I'm just repeating what I've read from others here; I definitely don't have enough real-world experience to know the magnitude of the differences. From what you're saying, it sounds like ride roughness is probably the main drawback to the 19s in everyday driving.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:00 PM
paulsminis
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I think 10 inch wheels with 175/60 tires really look the best on Minis!

Stirring the pot (with tongue in cheek),

Paul

Old 08-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Gabe
6th Gear
Thanks for the perspective on that, Gabe. I'm just repeating what I've read from others here; I definitely don't have enough real-world experience to know the magnitude of the differences. From what you're saying, it sounds like ride roughness is probably the main drawback to the 19s in everyday driving.
Well 19s are another story The MINI's suspension and wheel housing components were not designed with 19" wheels in mind. Frankly the 18s JCW wheels barely fit as is - I don't know how these guys are doing 19s. But as far as real world draw-backs with 19" wheels... I can't say since I haven't driven a MINI with them. I can however tell you that the set of JCW 18" wheels I have on my car is not without it's drawbacks:

1> Price
2> Subtly decreased turning radius
3> Slight rubbing with full suspension compression on tight turns.

But all that said the upsides totally make it a worthwhile option in my mind.

Now all of this is not to say that i don't love the look of the a good 15" wheel on a Cooper. I absolutely love the look of the 15" holeys for instance.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:17 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor

That's not to say it's wrong if that's what you want and what you like. I just wanted to point out that physics is in fact at work every time you drive your car, not just on the track.
Very true, but its only REALLY noticable on the track or during performance driving. Its not like you are losing 1 sec off of 0-60...but there will always be some difference.

I have had 15s, 16s and 17s....it really wasnt noticable, but when i took my car out on the track with my new 15s i was surprised at the huge difference. On the street however, it wasnt really noticable.

Old 08-25-2005, 01:18 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by jeffroestobar
RallyMINI, you are my hero. Seriously though, thanks for sticking up for those of us who dont track our cars and have our own style and opinions. You said it well. To each his own. And my 18's ride better than my stock 16" runflats, and look a hell of a lot better. I'll probably go with 19's next time around too.

no problem buddy

Those look great. I like all the chrome on a silver car

Old 08-25-2005, 03:21 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
big wheel talk... anyone?

19's will be fine!! its just less rubber for more wheel (rim) as long as its the same rollin' diameter or close to it. (thats when real tunin' begins in the wheel& tire category)
if anything i would think that more rubber will cuase ur' sidewall to drag and tire 2flex which that to me is less responsive in both feel and speed cuz' ur' tires are absorbin' real torque b4 it hits that pavement so why not run big wheels, sticky rubberband tires & kick some serious ***'phalt ????

Old 08-25-2005, 04:52 PM
nocivic
2nd Gear
Here is a picture of a Mini on 19's. After talking with the guy he stated that he had a ton of rubbing. I think he said that they were 19x7.5 but because the tire was so tall he rubbed on the inside and the outside. I also put up a picture of my silver mini with 18's.

Attached Thumbnails what do you think of 19" wheels-s.jpg  
Old 08-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by nocivic
Here is a picture of a Mini on 19's. After talking with the guy he stated that he had a ton of rubbing. I think he said that they were 19x7.5 but because the tire was so tall he rubbed on the inside and the outside. I also put up a picture of my silver mini with 18's.
yah, his car looks a bit lowered though, which would certainly cause more rubbing. I believe that if you want to avoid rubbing with 19s you should refrain from lowering and you will be fine. Not lowering might hurt in the looks department though :impatient

Old 08-25-2005, 06:04 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
it might justy be me, but after you pass 18's, the MINI just starts to lok like a oversized toy, not even a car.

18's seem like the best big inch wheel for the mini, especially with the JCW wheels available, a very nice option.....

Old 08-25-2005, 06:22 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
hey, rick- i would agree cuz' 8.5x18's is my choice in plus sizing, no bigger though.

but have U' seen 19's on a mini in person w/a good drop & some wide meats under ur' fenders...looks killer man........w/19's ur' drop is higly critical cuz' U' can make it or break it.

love Ur' photo shoot!! ur' ride looks on point (nice)
uknow... they say that a mini cooper car is not a mini cooper unles its red w/that checker top. looks great!!
Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
it might justy be me, but after you pass 18's, the MINI just starts to lok like a oversized toy, not even a car.

18's seem like the best big inch wheel for the mini, especially with the JCW wheels available, a very nice option.....

Old 08-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by joker

love Ur' photo shoot!! ur' ride looks on point (nice) uknow... they say that a mini cooper car is not a mini cooper unles its red w/that checker top. looks great!!

hehe if he got the checker top...his car would be my car, cant have two of those in ohio.

I have yet to see 19s in person....i would love to see what i think. (17s are actually the biggest ive seen, and they look pretty big on our cars.)

Old 08-25-2005, 06:39 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
hehe if he got the checker top...his car would be my car, cant have two of those in ohio.
depends, maybey it looks like i have checkers in my latest pics

get on aim later dude

Old 08-25-2005, 07:01 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by VoiD
bigger wheels suffer performance because they are usually heavier than the smaller diameter wheels.. But how much do the S-lites w/ runflats weigh?
Stock S-lytes with runflats weigh about 48 pounds each wheel.

My autocross wheels are 15x7" and with tires weigh about 29 pounds each

Old 08-26-2005, 12:28 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
oh..sheit!

know what? i was quotin' Rick- 'rednwhitecooper' About 19's and how they look but was refering 2 ur' photo shoot at 'tMMz' so confused U' two w/each other in my post...cuz -Rick does'nt have that checkered roof....... bummer, sorry my bad.

(should really start 2get more sleep)

I have yet to see 19s in person....i would love to see what i think. (17s are actually the biggest ive seen, and they look pretty big on our cars.)

Old 08-26-2005, 12:23 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rednwhitecooper
That's funny, I think that's why I bought my MINI, because it looks like a toy, and not a car, so maybe that is the look I am going for anyway. The bullhorns mounted on my dash probably gives this away (see gallery).

On the street the only drawback that I have found with my 18's is increased body roll, which I will try to correct soon. They fit great, look great, and ride better than run-flats. Guess it really depends if you are racing or not, cause if you are not it doesnt really matter unless you are rubbing.