Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Run-flat installation equipment

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 09:52 AM
eh0013
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run-flat installation equipment

Just wanted to put this down on a thread because typing things down helps me remember and also because I think this info is helpful to people who my have the same wonderment as I did. Sorry if this information is somewhere else but to be honest, I did not find it.

Here's the deal according to Gary of Tire Rack:
  1. Special equipment is needed to install/remove/repair run flat tires to avoid damage to the tire and the wheel. This special equipment was actually developed for the runflat tire's characteristics; although, if not used, can damage the wheel as well.
  2. If you have non-runflat tires, and are using the original wheels, you no longer need to use the special equipment. The OEM wheels are essentially "standard wheels" so when paired with non-runflat tires, it will be treated like any other wheel/tire combo.
Thinking out loud , what this means is that:
  • repairs made to runflats will always need special equipment
  • replacing runflats to non-runflats will also need special equipment
  • any future repairs/replacements that's needed, if you choose to switch to non-runflats, can be done at your trusted or favorite tire shop even though they don't have the special equipment.
I hope this helps others who are wondering the same things I did. Happy motoring .

Old 08-25-2005, 11:48 AM
OKeefe
4th Gear
No disrespect to an acknowledged tire guy

but I'd ask what constitutes 'special equipment'?

I've had run flats dismounted and remounted - both repairs and new tires - at multiple facilities and have never been turned away because they didn't have the right equipment, I have plugged tires with over 20k since the plug and brand spankin' new Pirelli runflats at another time.

One was a high end performance shop (a tire rack recommended installer) - others were large and what I'd call high end tire dealers - neither balked at runflats nor charged me extra for the runflat work as compared to work they did for my Miata, or the 10" wheels on my classic for that matter.

is it possible that what you are calling special is just not "cheap crap" and not all that unusual? I don't know the technical name but the 'performace shop' let me in the back and did show me that their type of equipment was not special but was of a certain type that made the job easy and was not typical of a gas station machine I've seen b4. (owner was pretty proud of it actually). Other place had a different machine but didn't appear to have a problem either. They've handled 17" Silverlite runflats and 10" MiniLites on the same machine and at the same reasonable cost.

I've asked the question b4 and never gotten a reply. It is intended to give a new runflat owner a better picture. Some think you need to look for a sign that says "we fix runflats here" .... I don't see that to be the case. I ask, can you handle runflats? and the answer, where I've gone, has always been "yes" & never followed by "but it will cost extra"

Am I just one lucky dude to have such great shops available? I stopped getting any kind of tire work at a standard garage when my first alloy was trashed over 20 years ago.....

Old 08-25-2005, 12:36 PM
eh0013
2nd Gear
Hi OKeefe,

I'm very glad to hear a different opinion. I have been doing a lot of research since I anticipate replacing my new runflats soon after I get my car (currently on its way here by boat). What I have noticed on the threads, especially on the topic of purchasing tires from Tire Rack is that you need to go to a "certified installer of runflats" who oftentimes charge extra for these types. That sort of concerned me because I would much rather buy my tires from a larger tire store and get all the benefits of free tire rotation, balance, repair and such plus have the ability to move to a different city someday (we move a lot) and find that same chain store who is able to offer the same services for free. The whole thing about ordering on the internet and going to a specific "run flat certified installer" is somewhat cramping my style. I attempted to ask Costco about their ability to work with runflats and the sevice person over there said the same thing you did - they are able to work with this type of setup although he recommended that I make an appointment because it would be more time intensive. It was after this conversation that I chose to call Tire Rack and got the answer I just posted.

Old 08-25-2005, 06:39 PM
OKeefe
4th Gear
What I think you were told.....

A Tire Rack recommended installer should have no problems because their equipment will be up-scale enuf to do runflats right......

or in sailor talk: Tire Rack won't recommend a dip s- - t shop.

And if they try to charge you extra it is time to shop around some more

Old 08-28-2005, 05:06 PM
OKeefe
4th Gear
Bump

no comments???.....

come on gang

I want the straight scoop

Old 08-28-2005, 06:41 PM
eh0013
2nd Gear
Hey OKeefe,

I was kinda waiting for other views as well. I'm not quite sure what others' experience have been. Any good or bad experiences out there when it comes to runflat-specific equipment???