Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Rota Slipstreams or 5Zigen Fn01r-c

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 03:40 PM
BelowRadar
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rota Slipstreams or 5Zigen Fn01r-c

For my '05 PS/B Cooper S, I've decided on 16x7's in flat black. This size offers great weight loss and will retain good handling. And the black will look good against my silver body and black roof. But I'm having a bit of trouble deciding between two styles:

Rota Slipstreams:
http://www.jaydm.com/slipstream.htm
+40, +45
14.5 lb. ea.
$435 set

5Zigen Fn01r-c:
http://www.edgeracing.com/wheels/5zigen/
+42
15 lb. ea.
$688 set

The most obvious difference between these wheels is the price...but neither of these rims are really that expensive. Coming from my GTI with 18"x8"s and 225/18/40's, paying under 1k for a wheel and tire combo seems like a bargain. My main concern is the offset. Since the Fn01r-c's are exactly what the specs call for, are they inherently better than the Slipstreams i.e. no spacers, hubcentric rings, etc.? My second issue is regarding the looks. I feel like the Slipstream's are nice and chunky looking, but the big lip makes them look like they have a skinnier track than they really do. I want rims that look flush with the wheel arches. The Fn01r-c's "look" wider, but they don't fill in the wheel's diameter very well (and the stock brakes aren't that pretty). Your thoughts? Pics are welcome. Thanks.

Old 08-29-2005, 04:17 PM
tpetro33
4th Gear
Go 5!

Hey there,

This is a totally biased answer, but I the 5Zigens are my personal favorite wheel, and the set i will put on my MCS when I get it!! They are more expensive, but of better quality than the knock-off Rotas...
Good luck!!

Old 08-29-2005, 04:54 PM
BrianGoldbloom
2nd Gear
Well, here is yet another totally biased answer. I have 5Zigen's, in anodized silver 17x7, on my car. I love them. One of the most frequent comments I get on the car - "Love the wheels!" The Rota's flat spokes aren't personally my bag of tea. I really like the see-through nature of the 5Zigen's - and being able to see all the machinery through the wheel. Let's me show folks my colored suspension parts. As you say, the stock brakes aren't as sexy as some out there, but I wouldn't call them ugly either. There just.... well, brakes.

If you are thinking of adding a BBK later, you might want to check the inside dimensions of the respective wheels. I haven't really done this myself, but the 5Zigen's look really roomy on the inside.

BTW, the 5Zigens do use a hubcentric ring, at least in my size.

Best of luck in your decision.

Old 08-29-2005, 05:08 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BrianGoldbloom
BTW, the 5Zigens do use a hubcentric ring, at least in my size.
I have a set of 16X7 Fno1rc's on my car in flat black. I really like em, but they do use hubcentric rings

Old 08-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by BelowRadar
For my '05 PS/B Cooper S, I've decided on 16x7's in flat black. This size offers great weight loss and will retain good handling. And the black will look good against my silver body and black roof. But I'm having a bit of trouble deciding between two styles:

Rota Slipstreams:
+40, +45
14.5 lb. ea.
$435 set

5Zigen Fn01r-c:
+42
15 lb. ea.
$688 set

The most obvious difference between these wheels is the price...but neither of these rims are really that expensive. Coming from my GTI with 18"x8"s and 225/18/40's, paying under 1k for a wheel and tire combo seems like a bargain. My main concern is the offset. Since the Fn01r-c's are exactly what the specs call for, are they inherently better than the Slipstreams i.e. no spacers, hubcentric rings, etc.? My second issue is regarding the looks. I feel like the Slipstream's are nice and chunky looking, but the big lip makes them look like they have a skinnier track than they really do. I want rims that look flush with the wheel arches. The Fn01r-c's "look" wider, but they don't fill in the wheel's diameter very well (and the stock brakes aren't that pretty). Your thoughts? Pics are welcome. Thanks.
The 16x7 Slipstreams are 13.5 lbs per wheel - I've weighed them - 4 of them actually.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:05 PM
W3IWI
5th Gear
I've got the polished silver Rota Slipstreams and have been very pleased with them. Since I changed to Greenstuff brake pads, I can testify that they are easy to clean.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:29 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
that set almost looks like a 'WELD' set....... nice!
Originally Posted by W3IWI
I've got the polished silver Rota Slipstreams and have been very pleased with them. Since I changed to Greenstuff brake pads, I can testify that they are easy to clean.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:33 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
Fn01r-c fan here!

since they both use hub-rings go4 that 5Zigen...

Rota Slipstreams:
+40, +45
14.5 lb. ea.
$435 set

5Zigen Fn01r-c:
+42
15 lb. ea.
$688 set

Old 08-30-2005, 05:47 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by joker
since they both use hub-rings go4 that 5Zigen...
You can get the Rotas with a 56.1mm hub - no rings needed.

Old 08-30-2005, 08:12 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
cant go wrong w/a wheel that mounts w/out rings

then hands down, Rotas here! iguess i'd better look closer next time.

Originally Posted by Skiploder
You can get the Rotas with a 56.1mm hub - no rings needed.

Old 08-30-2005, 08:45 AM
VoiD
6th Gear
go for the cheaper lighter wheels! Both look great

Old 08-30-2005, 09:13 AM
BelowRadar
3rd Gear
Thanks for all your answers. I don't know that it's made it any easier for me, though!

Old 08-30-2005, 09:50 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
hard decisions huh............

..............remember, its allways better 2go w/a wheel made for ur' hub, rather than usin' a hub-ring to fit that wheel on ur mini car...but in the end its all about how it look's. right? in that VW seen its alllllllll about how nice & tight wheels will look under the fenders on a GTI car.
im on that same boat right now i have a vr6 jetta 03'( GLI) so iknow ur' seen dude & its a hard decision indeed................
Thanks for all your answers. I don't know that it's made it any easier for me, though!

Old 08-30-2005, 10:17 AM
BelowRadar
3rd Gear
Well, the 5Zigen's had it on account of them being a pound lighter and that they're not "knock off's", but considering that the Rotas have the correct hub without rings, cost about $200 less a set, and are available within driving distance of my house (no shipping cost), I'm now slipping towards the Slipstreams. Anyone have any other opinions or any bad play-on-words they'd also like to add?

Old 08-30-2005, 10:22 AM
eVal
6th Gear
Why would hub rings make a difference? I've had hub rings on BBS wheels on a BMW for years with no problems - I've seen them used with all quality of wheels on many cars just fine - just choose what you like.

The remark about the BBK is good, if there is any chance you'll get brakes be sure of what the wheels can fit beforehand.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:30 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Well, the 5Zigen's had it on account of them being a pound lighter and that they're not "knock off's", but considering that the Rotas have the correct hub without rings, cost about $200 less a set, and are available within driving distance of my house (no shipping cost), I'm now slipping towards the Slipstreams. Anyone have any other opinions or any bad play-on-words they'd also like to add?
The Rotas are lighter. 13.5 lbs is less than 15 lbs.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:21 AM
BelowRadar
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
Why would hub rings make a difference? I've had hub rings on BBS wheels on a BMW for years with no problems - I've seen them used with all quality of wheels on many cars just fine - just choose what you like.

The remark about the BBK is good, if there is any chance you'll get brakes be sure of what the wheels can fit beforehand.
Just less percent error, I guess. I know lots of people use them and I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but I do think the non-ring option is more attractive.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:22 AM
BelowRadar
3rd Gear
The Rotas are lighter. 13.5 lbs is less than 15 lbs.
Oops. I thought it was the 5Zigen's that were 13.5...

Old 08-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Skiploder
Banned
Just less percent error, I guess. I know lots of people use them and I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but I do think the non-ring option is more attractive.
Rings are a major pain in the a$$ when you are swapping out rims between street and track, rotating tires, etc.

I used to keep a couple extra sets on hand because I would invariably destroy a couple when doing any sort of swaps.

If you can get a wheel with the correct hub bore, it makes life a little bit easier.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:10 PM
AC_MINI
5th Gear
Our family are 5Zigen fan so my vote will be the "5Zigen"

Old 08-30-2005, 12:25 PM
JBMCS06
1st Gear
Hey- Id stick with cheaper and lighter- they are both so similar that it shouldnt make a huge dif either way- except for the price!! $$ Take pics when ur done!!
JB

Old 08-30-2005, 01:05 PM
W3IWI
5th Gear
Rings are a major pain in the a$$ when you are swapping out rims between street and track, rotating tires, etc.

I used to keep a couple extra sets on hand because I would invariably destroy a couple when doing any sort of swaps.

If you can get a wheel with the correct hub bore, it makes life a little bit easier.
My Rotas use rings. But I have changed the OEM lug bolts for studs, so the "quick swap" arguement doesn't apply. Studs are a good idea

Old 08-30-2005, 03:27 PM
Coop d'etat
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive been a big fan of Rotas since I started auto-xing. The best part was when a friend of mine who sold vast quantities of wheels ranging from steelies to high end Works, and Volk said "The weight claims that Rota makes are the closest to the actual weight of the wheel that I've found. Many of the high end wheels that I've weighed actually are a pound or two heavier than stated by the companies. In some cases its actually closer to 4lbs heavier."

For the $$$ Ill take a rota any day

Old 08-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Wesport
3rd Gear
I went through the same desicion process and ended up with the Rotas. The hub centric asspect was important to me as I do track the car. I went with 16x7@45 and went to short 235x40x16 tires for a gearing gain (03 model). I dropped about 18# per corner from stock 17" minilights. The quality on the Rotas seems excellent - no blimishes or issues at all. Mine are Royal grey. I also have Wilwoods BBK on the car and the Rotas fit without spacers (also important to me on the track). I do think the 5Zigen may look a tad better, but performance, safety, and value were higher on my list.

Wes

Old 08-30-2005, 07:22 PM
BelowRadar
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Wesport
I went through the same desicion process and ended up with the Rotas. The hub centric asspect was important to me as I do track the car. I went with 16x7@45 and went to short 235x40x16 tires for a gearing gain (03 model). I dropped about 18# per corner from stock 17" minilights. The quality on the Rotas seems excellent - no blimishes or issues at all. Mine are Royal grey. I also have Wilwoods BBK on the car and the Rotas fit without spacers (also important to me on the track). I do think the 5Zigen may look a tad better, but performance, safety, and value were higher on my list.

Wes
Thanks for the info. Do you drive these with the 235's daily, or just at the track? How do you like this set-up overall? One of my main--albeit aesthetic apprehensions--is that the Slipstreams look very narrow on the Mini. With a +45 offset, the rims will sit inward from the wheel arch a bit more. Why didn't you go with the +40 and get a little wider stance? Do you have any pics?

Quick Reply: Rota Slipstreams or 5Zigen Fn01r-c