Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

motegi, ssr, centerline or enkei??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 04:55 PM
willymcd
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
motegi, ssr, centerline or enkei??

need some help here, i need wheels soon and am up between motegi trak lite, centerline SPORT COMPACT-EXCEL, centerline rpm, ssr gt7 and enkei rpm2 in hyper black.. please help, i basically want to know what the strongest and most reliable wheel is of this selection? they are all forged or semi forged except the enkei's are cast... they all weigh under 16lbs

Old 08-31-2005, 05:12 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
IMO, the best quality wheel is Enkei or SSR. All forged wheels are not equal. Just like all cast wheels are not equal. The Enkei process is very refined and worth the money..

Old 08-31-2005, 05:15 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
......i would have to say Certerlines.....

Old 08-31-2005, 05:19 PM
Skiploder
Banned
Originally Posted by joker
......i would have to say Certerlines.....
Search on this site for Centerlines and cracks............

Old 08-31-2005, 05:20 PM
willymcd
3rd Gear
anyone know about the motegi trak-lite's? they are forged and weigh only 14 lbs, 17X7, but as you say just because they are forged doesn't make them good. i have herd some bad things about the centerline rpm's, cracking and breaking so count those out, but i think the excels might be much better!

Old 08-31-2005, 06:22 PM
red rage
4th Gear
No cracks on my Centerline Excels, which you have pictured, next to the RPM

Old 08-31-2005, 06:57 PM
nparker
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Skiploder
I have 2 sets of RPMs and neither have shown any signs of cracks. I've tracked my 17s and no problems. My 18s are for sale if anyone is looking for a set with tires.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:05 PM
JBMCS06
1st Gear
Id go for the SSR Comp 17x7.5's--- weigh in at 12.8 lbs, and if you get 205/40-17 tires to go with those, you end up with a smaller overall diameter than most 16 rim and tire combos-

-super handling, super-lite and strong rim and you wont loose performance with them-at least, those are what I am plannin on doin on my 06-S when I get it..let us know what u choose with pics too!!

Old 08-31-2005, 07:08 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Just FYI, if you are thinking of the Enkei RPM2s in 17" they are really about 17 lbs:

http://www.enkei.com/RacingSeriesSpecs/RPM2.html

I had considered them but decided, in the end, to go for lighter then 1lb per inch - and a different look.

I think the SSR GT7s look good and are not very common, but to really give you an opinion I'd have to consider the color of the car and color of wheels you are considering.

Old 08-31-2005, 07:17 PM
willymcd
3rd Gear
i have a pepper white MCS with black roof bonnet stripes.. i am looking for an overall dark coloured wheel.....

Old 08-31-2005, 07:29 PM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
I have the Montegi Trak Lites, no problems. EDIT: I have other pics in my gallery ----->

Old 08-31-2005, 08:04 PM
willymcd
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TwOMINIs
I have the Montegi Trak Lites, no problems. EDIT: I have other pics in my gallery ----->
have you hit any big pot holes or bumps with those wheels? just want to know how durable they are?

Old 09-01-2005, 06:40 AM
TwOMINIs
6th Gear
Originally Posted by willymcd
have you hit any big pot holes or bumps with those wheels? just want to know how durable they are?
Haven't really cruised over any big pot holes or bumps, but I did take a curve too tight, hitting the edge of sidewalk at ~25mph, tearing the sidewall of the tires, front and rear, and scratching the rims. (got a bit airborn too ) There are pictures posted in my Gallery------>

After that misfortune I took the car to the dealer/installer as I was concerned about the safety of the tires and tru-ness of the wheel. The wheels checked out tru and they even touched them up w/ antracite paint.:smile: Durible rims I would say- YES

After that, I try to be extra mindful of road hazards,(sidewalks esp. ) as I'm also runnning 40 series tires. I've actually been considering downsizing to 15s in the same wheel for the gearing advantage as I have an '02.

Old 09-01-2005, 08:04 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
motegi's really coming out with some nice looking wheels these days.

JCW had those 18's... very nice.

Old 09-01-2005, 12:02 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Those Trak Lites seem like a very nice wheel for the money.

I do own a set of Motegi's (FF7) which, for the money are a nice cast aluminum wheel. The model I own (at 18" x 7.5 spec), is certainly not the lightest, although it is lighter overall, than the stock 17" setup I had.

The Trak Lite seems to be a good, light, forged wheel. I may purchase a set myself with some track tires mounted, for swapping out on track days.

Pics in gallery if interested (although I doubt they are relevant here)

Old 09-01-2005, 12:39 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Do any of those wheels come in black, or a black center? I think true black would look great on a PW/B MCS

Old 09-01-2005, 03:57 PM
willymcd
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by eVal
Do any of those wheels come in black, or a black center? I think true black would look great on a PW/B MCS
those motegi trak lite come in flat black.
here is what i am down too now, its getting a bit on the pricey side, i don't know if i am going nuts or not thinking of spending this much $$ on wheels and tires.. does anyone see anything wrong with getting SSR considering they are out of business?? right now i am leaning towards the GT2 and the competitions..
motegi trak lite's: cost with tires $1600

SSR GT7: with tires $1700

SSR GT2: with tires high $1700

SSR COMPETITION 16x7.5: with tires $1800

Old 09-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
Again a kind reminder that not all forged wheels are equal. The traklite wheels are good but not great. When getting really picky about rims the finish on these things is not perfect. Before anyone gets made take a look at your OEM wheels and the compare them to the Motegi's. There is very small imperfections in the painting.. And if the finishing is less than perfect it makes me question true quality..

Go for the best quality wheel possible with a proven history.. Enkei, BBS, OZ, Rays, Ronal and many others.

There is more to wheels than being lightweight..

Old 09-01-2005, 05:43 PM
eVal
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Passat774
Again a kind reminder that not all forged wheels are equal. The traklite wheels are good but not great. When getting really picky about rims the finish on these things is not perfect. Before anyone gets made take a look at your OEM wheels and the compare them to the Motegi's. There is very small imperfections in the painting.. And if the finishing is less than perfect it makes me question true quality..

Go for the best quality wheel possible with a proven history.. Enkei, BBS, OZ, Rays, Ronal and many others.

There is more to wheels than being lightweight..
Hmm, not sure I personally agree when it comes to new/less known companies without a long term proven history- I think there are plenty that are innovative and do offer high quality and just need the time and chance to create that history. Not everything BBS, OZ etc creates is superlative, most of them have different prices and some pretty average wheels IMHO. And as for the OEM rims, well the finish may be nice at the beginning but they chip like heck over time, and I have found BMW wheels to be very soft/susceptible to surface damage.

Anyway, I can't speak for the track lites with first hand knowledge, but a fast search certainly made it look like a lot of people have had them. I looked to find pics of the flat black and I gotta say I'm not a fan, they look much better in anthracite.

Old 09-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Boludo
2nd Gear
I recently bought my first MCS and put the Motegi Trak Lites (gun metal on DS) and they look great. I am 100% happy with them for right now at least. I do only have 1600 miles on them but am glad I chose them.

Old 09-02-2005, 12:04 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
hey Skiploder i havnt found this thread yet? :impatient
Originally Posted by Skiploder

Old 09-02-2005, 12:10 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
?? 1600.oo W/tyres ?? is good! they must have some cheap rubber on them....
those motegi trak lite come in flat black.
here is what i am down too now, its getting a bit on the pricey side, i don't know if i am going nuts or not thinking of spending this much $$ on wheels and tires.. does anyone see anything wrong with getting SSR considering they are out of business?? right now i am leaning towards the GT2 and the competitions..
motegi trak lite's: cost with tires $1600

SSR GT7: with tires $1700

SSR GT2: with tires high $1700

SSR COMPETITION 16x7.5: with tires $1800

Old 09-02-2005, 12:54 AM
willymcd
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by joker
?? 1600.oo W/tyres ?? is good! they must have some cheap rubber on them....
i don't know about cheap tires, from what i hear they are rather good tires
BFG g-force T/A-kdw2? are they good, from what i have read they are but that might not mean anything???

i have been prowling the forums and have found quite a few bent ssr's so i am not quite sure i want to go that route, even though i hear they are good, i don't want to spend a bunch of money on a wheel that will bend on a modest sized pot hole. this is really hard for me picking wheels, i have been quite the flip flopper in my decision making...

Old 09-02-2005, 01:06 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
Kdw's 2 now thats a nice tyre but they r' rather noisy but there nice they probably run about 120 to 135 in price so not cheap!! U know if u go w/a taller tyre potholes would look better but anything lower than a 45 is not going to protect u at all..well mayb i should not sound so sure but its been my experience so shoot me if im wrong! whats a bunch of money to U?
i don't know about cheap tires, from what i hear they are rather good tiresBFG g-force T/A-kdw2? are they good, from what i have read they are but that might not mean anything???

i have been prowling the forums and have found quite a few bent ssr's so i am not quite sure i want to go that route, even though i hear they are good, i don't want to spend a bunch of money on a wheel that will bend on a modest sized pot hole. this is really hard for me picking wheels, i have been quite the flip flopper in my decision making...

Old 09-02-2005, 01:20 AM
willymcd
3rd Gear
haha..

if i go for the ssr i would get the 16x7.5 comps so i guess i could go with a 205-50-16 or a 205-55 maybe, i guess that should be a good amount of rubber! at tire rack those tires are $110 each with those wheels the total should be high $1800 to low $1900. locally i can get those tires for $690 ($160 each, i need to shop around more) mounted and taxed and i found a good deal on the motegi for $930...

Quick Reply: motegi, ssr, centerline or enkei??