Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Are black wheels just a fad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 11:19 AM
pfunk
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will not have it any other way....

Old 09-01-2005, 07:39 PM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
I, too, am reminded of the Porsche classic look! I colleted these images over the last year ...married with children therefore I have no money for such mods

Old 09-01-2005, 07:43 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what wrong with steelies?

i love a set of black or red steelies on a car. even better with a polished center cap. add a bit of style with a trim ring. its probably one of the most veratile wheel you can buy, it looks good on anything!

Old 09-02-2005, 04:22 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Steely opinions: depends on your point of view

I am one of those who HATES steelies. I have a set of black steelies for my snow tires, and they look so cheap and ugly that I'm almost embarrased to put them on my MINI, let alone drive around town with them on.

That is why I'm having such a difficult time deciding whether or not I want black wheels for the summer months—because I am so disappointed by the way the black winter steelies look.

Ughhh. Such a tough decision!

Old 09-02-2005, 05:01 AM
tarditi
2nd Gear
Old Porsche Fuchs wheels were available in all black or with polished "paddles"... some people polish the entire wheel (some purists don't like that, but the look has its place)

http://geocities.com/tarditi/images/img_2426.jpg

Mine is a 1974, so it's somewhat "old school" and those wheels are all original - chrome modern wheels don't look good on old cars unless they're hot rods or something, IMHO.

I do like the gunmetal look - and it would go great with my pure silver MCS w/ black roof... the regular wheels I have now sort of just blend in.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:51 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Ditto that......

Originally Posted by SwingMCS03
Porsche offered black wheels years ago. I've seen them around for a long time. I don't think it's a fad. I liked the look so much I bought a set for my car.

Seems like with your color combo, black wheels will look fantastic.
With a polished lip
They also hide brake dust longer, big +

Old 09-02-2005, 11:46 AM
hugh
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It just took me longer this morning to clean my wheels than the whole rest of the car !

Right 'bout now, black wheels startin' to look reel good to me.

hs

Old 09-02-2005, 05:04 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm suprised that MINI hasn't offered black wheels to compliment cars with black tops yet... they offer white, what's the difference? The holies would look pretty cool in flat black as a winter wheel. I think it would look retro-steely-style.:smile:

Old 09-03-2005, 01:34 PM
Red Ryder
Coordinator :: Tar Heel MINI Motoring Club
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. I have a CR/B on order. First thing I plan to do is black the grill w/ vinyl. Second is to look for some black 16"s and sell my 5-stars. Silver wheels look good but since there is so much black, I think that black wheels will give it a better look. You would think that MNI would want to retain more of the wheel market rather than give it to the aftermarket boys.

Old 09-03-2005, 01:46 PM
kalbone
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pfunk
I will not have it any other way....
no doubt! i too like how the minis look with black wheels. here's a pick of mine.

Old 09-03-2005, 02:43 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
I am impervious to fads. The answer is "no." Machined rim is also nice. It would look awesome on your car if so inclined.

Old 09-05-2005, 11:34 AM
morknmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by sandtoast500
I'm suprised that MINI hasn't offered black wheels to compliment cars with black tops yet... they offer white, what's the difference? The holies would look pretty cool in flat black as a winter wheel. I think it would look retro-steely-style.:smile:

Me too (I'm that sort of guy).

MINI's offering white wheels with a white top made me keep going back to that variant, but I knew I would not be diligent about washing the car (I'm also THAT sort of guy). If MINI offered the black wheels with black top that would have been my choice from the start. Now that I have black wheels I am pleased that during my last car wash I didn't even bother to look for brake dust (is brake dust visible on black wheels?).

I agree with those who think black is reminescent of spare and utility wheels, but I think of it as an aesthetic alternative--industrial strength understatement. I admire other finishes (such as Greatbear's combo) and agree (I'm just agreeable) with others on NAM who have observed that the MINI's individuality is amenable to all variations.

I would post a pic, but a pine tree shat on my car so the black stripes are stained with white dots (lending the car a certain post-industrial nuance, but no longer a prime example for NAM).

Last edited by morknmini; 09-05-2005 at 11:34 AM. Reason: format
Old 09-12-2005, 12:36 AM
tl915
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZAKdog
I, too, am reminded of the Porsche classic look! I colleted these images over the last year ...married with children therefore I have no money for such mods

The rims on the red mini is so nice. What rim is that???

Old 09-12-2005, 07:35 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
I just ordered Rota Subzeros for my 05 Jet Black MCS. They are blakc with polished lip. I should have them this week, but will be a little bit until i get them on.

Garrett

Old 09-12-2005, 07:53 AM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
I'm not sure...I e-talked with a guy who knows the owner but he did not know the wheel type...

I think they are Konig Rewinds like RallyMINI has...

Garrett, would love to see pics of the newly mounted Rotas!

Old 09-12-2005, 08:24 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
As soon as i can find hub centric rings for the rotas to fit on the mini and of course get my mini back from the dealer. I will get them put on as soon as I can. Any ideas where I can get rings for the mini that will fit the rota wheels?

Garrett

Old 09-12-2005, 08:43 AM
VoiD
6th Gear
Originally Posted by garretwp
Any ideas where I can get rings for the mini that will fit the rota wheels?

Garrett
Try Ebay..
Discount Tire sells metal hubcentric rings in various sizes.

Old 09-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ZAKdog
I'm not sure...I e-talked with a guy who knows the owner but he did not know the wheel type...

I think they are Konig Rewinds like RallyMINI has...

Garrett, would love to see pics of the newly mounted Rotas!
Nope....those are custom made ($$$) panasports which usually only come in 16s....the pictured ones are 15s.

Their spokes are a bit thicker than mine, and the depth of the wheel is much shallower. I was VERY close to getting those exact wheels, but they weighed far too much for how expensive they were (like 16-18 lbs...i forget) So i went with the 13 lb konigs.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Moskito
5th Gear
Before I even had my MINI Cooper S, I knew I wanted black wheels and I am very happy with the result. Plus right now with not so many others Coopers with black wheels, it really looks unique.
Cheers,
H

Old 09-14-2005, 08:41 AM
JaredRS
1st Gear
Black rims have been around for a LOT longer than a year... so no I wouldn't say it's a passing fad. I can show you plenty from the 1980's and 90's if you want.

Personally, I would get an antracite/dark grey kinda color. Although I plan on dark bronze Rotas when I get my MINI. mmm.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:50 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Yes...it started with this guy name Sid with a CRX back in 1986:smile: Seems everyone was doing white so he painted his black just to be different. Just kiddn...I think black wheels have been around for a lot longer because I had to have copied this idea from somebody

Originally Posted by jonnieoh
In the past year, I've seen more and more black wheels come to the market. In most 2-page wheel ads in all the car magazines, half or more of the wheels nowadays are black.

Black wheels really intrigue me. My MCS is Electric Blue with a black roof/stripes, tint. So I'm kinda going for black as a secondary color here...

I've been considering ditching my ultra-heavy, ironically named stock S-Lite wheels/runflat tires that come standard with the MSC sport package. (Which weigh in an obese 55 lbs. per wheel/tire)!

I've been considering lighter wheels, and looking at black wheels more and more often. But I can't help but wonder if in a year or two, will they look old, expired, and/or "soooo 2005!". Will this black wheel trend dry up?

I know I'm kinda asking you to help me see into the future, here, but your opinions will help. Thanks! :smile:

Old 09-14-2005, 08:57 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
Are the letting on the tires painted on? I kind of like the look of the black tires with the white lettering.

Garrett

Old 09-14-2005, 09:06 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
They were painstakingly hand painted one letter at a time by me. I went to the trouble of using this "one of a kind" white wall paint but they looked great until I past the 100mph mark where they began to lift and turn pink Stripped them down and repeated the process again. Same result...F-it:smile: I had better results with the spray painted stencil job on the Yokos LOL. They were ratty but it looked racy. The current Kumo's have too much texture on the sidewalls for stenciling. Anyway, the Mini is too classy for stenciling...

They looked great while they lasted
Are the letting on the tires painted on? I kind of like the look of the black tires with the white lettering.

Garrett

Old 09-14-2005, 09:10 AM
garretwp
5th Gear
Rubber is a b*tch to paint! lol How do you like the oem replacement slotted rotors? What brand are they? I just painted my calipers and getting my new wheels in soon. Need to get some replacement rotors to make everything match perfect.

Garrett

Old 09-14-2005, 09:35 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Garret, those were my "pre" Stoptech cross drilled/slotted rotors. I liked them a lot and had posted the full set (front/back with pads) for sale in the Market place...I think they're still there LOL. The replacement BBK are also slotted but not drilled and yes, they're worth every penny
Rubber is a b*tch to paint! lol How do you like the oem replacement slotted rotors? What brand are they? I just painted my calipers and getting my new wheels in soon. Need to get some replacement rotors to make everything match perfect.

Garrett

Quick Reply: Are black wheels just a fad?