Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Are black wheels just a fad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 01:18 PM
VanessaVELEZ
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whaap
Any time I see black wheels my first thought is someone stole the guys hub caps and he's too cheap to replace them!
you must not see a lot of black wheels. the black jcw challenge wheels look like hey have missing hubcaps to you?

Old 12-05-2014, 01:22 PM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by VanessaVELEZ
you must not see a lot of black wheels. the black jcw challenge wheels look like hey have missing hubcaps to you?
Well most black wheels are pretty indistinguishable from steelies when the car is rolling, so yes

Old 12-05-2014, 01:35 PM
VanessaVELEZ
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AndyPWR53
Well most black wheels are pretty indistinguishable from steelies when the car is rolling, so yes

you think so? i can tell. but maybe its because i'm always noticing detail. to me they're very distinguishable. in any case. if you're on steelies there are no brakes to see anyway.

Attached Thumbnails Are black wheels just a fad?-image-3194244675.jpg   Are black wheels just a fad?-image-2116187805.jpg  
Old 12-05-2014, 01:56 PM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear
Well obviously to people like you or I who take notice of things like offset, diameter, and width on cars we see the difference is apparent. The point whaap was trying to make is that to the layperson it can look like the car just has its winter wheels on.

Also, the comparison you made is inaccurate because nobody puts steelies on a porsche and the wheels are a different size and offset. Take an average car (that crx for instance), put on black alloy wheels, then swap to steelies of the same size, and assuming the car is moving, most people would not be able to tell.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:07 PM
VanessaVELEZ
1st Gear
Well obviously to people like you or I who take notice of things like offset, diameter, and width on cars we see the difference is apparent. The point whaap was trying to make is that to the layperson it can look like the car just has its winter wheels on. Also, the comparison you made is inaccurate because nobody puts steelies on a porsche and the wheels are a different size and offset. Take an average car (that crx for instance), put on black alloy wheels, then swap to steelies of the same size, and assuming the car is moving, most people would not be able to tell.
ok well didnt exactly have specific photos for Specific sizing available to reduce as manu variables as possible between photos to isolate the specific difference between a rolling steelie and alloy, and on a mini. i just did a google search. most people i know can tell the difference between rolling steelies and rolling alloys that show off brakes---which is the point here. and that is an opinion i share. also, steelies are small in size, because the are steelies. part of telling whether a wheel is a steelie or not, is noticing how small the wheel is, which is part of why its so obvious that a wheel is a black alloy and not a black steelie. if you say you are a layperson when it comes to vehicle characterisrics, and you made that observation, then surely other laypeople will too.

again i did a quick, simple google search. did not try to deceive in any way. it is not that serious.

Old 12-05-2014, 11:39 PM
VanessaVELEZ
1st Gear
Well obviously to people like you or I who take notice of things like offset, diameter, and width on cars we see the difference is apparent. The point whaap was trying to make is that to the layperson it can look like the car just has its winter wheels on. Also, the comparison you made is inaccurate because nobody puts steelies on a porsche and the wheels are a different size and offset. Take an average car (that crx for instance), put on black alloy wheels, then swap to steelies of the same size, and assuming the car is moving, most people would not be able to tell.
i referred to you as a lay person because you at first said that "most black alloys are indistinguishable when the car is rolling", and then that "the point whaap was trying to make is that to the layperson it can look like the car just has its winter wheels on", so i wrongly assumed you thought of yourself as a layperson.

also, i doubt i would call anyone on this forum a layperson when it comes to noticing things on a mini. especially not the person who is considering black wheels and how they look on a mini forum full of enthusiasts. so, to the person considering black wheels--is not a layperson, and likely IS noticing. And surely what they think of their car matters more than what a layperson may or may not mistakingly assume of their black alloy.

that is all.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:30 AM
deovolens
3rd Gear
I had to take this full option car or wait.I didn't like the black rims, now I would choose them
Name:  IMG_2655_zpsf9922817.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  61.0 KB

Old 12-06-2014, 12:47 AM
VanessaVELEZ
1st Gear
Originally Posted by deovolens
I had to take this full option car or wait.I didn't like the black rims, now I would choose them
looks awesome. theres a countryman on facebook thats putting down 300whp O_O! i've wanted to drive one for a while, especially to feel the four-wheel-drive.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:35 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I never stated I couldn't tell the difference between black wheels and steelies. I said what the first thing was that crossed my mind when I saw black wheels. It's just like cars that are clad with gold colored trim items, the first thing I think of is pimp-mobile even though I know it probably isn't!!

Old 12-06-2014, 06:00 AM
MINI_42
4th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
No way are they a fad! Black wheels FOREVERRRRRRRR!

Attached Thumbnails Are black wheels just a fad?-sml-img_2694.jpg  
Old 12-06-2014, 07:21 AM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear
i referred to you as a lay person because you at first said that "most black alloys are indistinguishable when the car is rolling", and then that "the point whaap was trying to make is that to the layperson it can look like the car just has its winter wheels on", so i wrongly assumed you thought of yourself as a layperson.

also, i doubt i would call anyone on this forum a layperson when it comes to noticing things on a mini. especially not the person who is considering black wheels and how they look on a mini forum full of enthusiasts. so, to the person considering black wheels--is not a layperson, and likely IS noticing. And surely what they think of their car matters more than what a layperson may or may not mistakingly assume of their black alloy.

that is all.
When I say layperson, I'm not referring to people on this forum, rather, the other 98% of the population that view cars purely as an A-B appliance. To them it is more or less indistinguishable. So no, I don't think anybody on here is any less knowledgeable or car savvy than myself. Quite the opposite to be honest which is why I come here.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:51 AM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
not everyone has a trained eye for the distinction… that said, it also comes in different frequencies - very subjective if you ask me. so technically it should be all good!

Old 12-06-2014, 06:58 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
the simple answer to the question is YES... it's just a fad

But having said that, it does not mean black wheels aren't attractive.
Some cars can truly benefit from it. But generally speaking I strongly feel the popularity of black wheels is a bit of a fad and often placed on cars that don't particularely benefit from them.

Now, we are all lucky at MINI. The fact that most modern MINIs are two or more tones and often present black trims all around make them a natural fit for Black wheels

Old 12-06-2014, 08:12 PM
Coop-a-Loop
4th Gear
Black wheels are fad? I don't think so........check the age of this thread.....lol. I have both silver & black on my cars. I like the blacks best. Silvers are ok tho.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:24 PM
TG.
6th Gear
good point!!! lol - It's a fad that stuck

9 yrs went in a flash.

Personally I like the gloss black but it's all good for me as long as it works well with the car

Old 12-06-2014, 08:32 PM
LILYisatig3r
3rd Gear
notice every other car in that lot has silver wheels dde36. i love black wheels, i think there are still few cars, especially MINIs, on the road with black wheels. I'm getting new wheels soon, and they'll be glossy black. makes the jcw brembos stand out, and drilled/slotted rotors stand out. also my jcw is black/red, so i dont want to add too much of a third color in the mix.
In the same boat you are! Love my black wheels on my JCW. it just ties in all the black accents. Chrome/silver wheels would look so out of place on mine. I've always been a huge fan of black wheels.

Old 12-06-2014, 11:57 PM
VanessaVELEZ
1st Gear
Found something, gloss black wheels rolling. Steelies rolling.

Attached Thumbnails Are black wheels just a fad?-image-1175330597.jpg   Are black wheels just a fad?-image-486856131.jpg  

Last edited by VanessaVELEZ; 12-07-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:21 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
had 'em for more than 10 years . . .

Name:  B4andAfter.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  124.6 KB

Name:  07_minilitewheels.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  68.5 KB

Old 12-07-2014, 05:25 AM
fastzombie
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
An electric blue Mini with black roof and wheels is like beer and pretzels! It'll never be out of fashion. So pour yourself a nice Lagunitas Wild Sumpin, dish out the hot pretzels and horse radish mustard and enjoy the knowledge that your car will look slicker than black ice!

Old 12-07-2014, 06:00 AM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear
Found something, gloss black wheels rolling. Steelies rolling.
Believe it or not, those are actually diamond racing wheels. Very popular in the honda/vw/hellaflush communities.

Old 12-07-2014, 06:00 AM
deovolens
3rd Gear
I like them because I can't see the brake dust
Name:  IMG_2653_zps6adca2ef.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  73.0 KB

Old 12-07-2014, 11:55 PM
VanessaVELEZ
1st Gear
Believe it or not, those are actually diamond racing wheels. Very popular in the honda/vw/hellaflush communities.
yeah it was the closest i could find though. on instagram @snozburry rocks some nice white ones.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:21 PM
Zephyr1
3rd Gear
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
nope, but silver ones are..

I would say that silver/aluminum/metal color wheels are a fad, and by now a hopelessly outdated one, hehe. Ok, seriously now, personally, I find silver wheels incredibly boring, and get excited about anything that's not! My 03 MCS was an EB/W with white rims, loved it! Then my 05 Prius had silver rims, as much a yawn as the whole car, so maybe appropriate - LMAO. Now my 13 MCS is LiB/B with black rims and black stripes, love that too! I think with the black wheel arches on MINIs, black rims look particularly cool. I also love the JCW black rims with red ring, especially on R/B cars. Sometimes even chrome rims can look way cool! On the whole, what matters is how the color scheme of a car as a whole comes together. Then of course, de gustibus non est disputandum!

Old 12-09-2014, 08:41 PM
VanessaVELEZ
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Zephyr1
I would say that silver/aluminum/metal color wheels are a fad, and by now a hopelessly outdated one, hehe. Ok, seriously now, personally, I find silver wheels incredibly boring, and ...
I'm right there with you. I want black wheels because my red/black JCW '13 might be overbyrdened with a third color added to the palette scheme... HOWEVER, I came accross this red/black custom painted R50, and damn. It looks pretty ****ing fantastic!

I'd still go black though. That MINI owner's Instagram is @lpweis by the way.

Attached Thumbnails Are black wheels just a fad?-image-1383738767.jpg   Are black wheels just a fad?-image-453302042.jpg   Are black wheels just a fad?-image-655552171.jpg   Are black wheels just a fad?-image-3853766041.jpg  
Old 12-10-2014, 10:22 AM
TG.
6th Gear
I found black rims often lacking depth and why I tend to prefer silver rims . . . but it also depend greatly on the type of silver imo.

If it wasn't for the amount of maintenance it requires, raw metal polished wheels can be amazing and far from boring.

ex:

Quick Reply: Are black wheels just a fad?