Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Cheap good performance summer tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 10:45 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cheap good performance summer tires?

My RE750 will nto last till i can get winters, i need a new setup soon

since im doing r-comps next season, i will not be getting rt615, i want a good all rounded performance tire that will last, nice and quiet, complaint ride, while giving excellent water traction as i may use the street tires on a wet autox course

on my short list right now is
Falken ST115
Avon Tech M500
BF Goodrich G-Force sport
Fuzion ZRi
Kumho ECSTA SPT
Nitto Neo Gen

any recommendations? ill probably be running 215/45 again

Old 09-11-2005, 12:56 PM
McCullster
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only one of the list I can comment on is the Fuzion ZRi tires. I went from a set of Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's (good tire, similar to the ES100's but without that extra oomph of cornering (280AA tire rating)), to a set of ES100's after that. The ES100's were very nice (also a 280AA tire rating) but as soon as they started to wear down to be replaced anytime you hit a water puddle from freakin' sprinklers you could feel the car get squirrelly.

I then went to the Fuzion "Performance Summer" ZRi tires (320AA tire rating). I ordered off of Tire Rack and had them shipped to my local tire place for 300 give or take a few bucks. I should have gone to Wal-Mart to have them mounted and balanced because I think the tire place was pissed I didn't buy the tires from them and they charged me 25 bucks a tire to mount and balance.

Overall, the tires are so-so, not the same handling as the ES100's or 712's. But on the highway they are pretty quiet. They do handle high speeds, but around corners as soon as you start to accellerate you start to hear this low level hum that could only be the tires......other than that I have no complaints.......AND they have a very similar tire pattern to the runflats......but with better comfort........

GOOD LUCK!

Old 09-11-2005, 01:04 PM
am0eba
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Phil Wicks recommended the Kumho Ectsa SPTs to me for occasional track days/spirited street driving. (This was after a disclaimer that one of his sponsors is Kumho) I used to run the Ecsta Supra 712s on my '99 Subaru 2.5RS on the street. When I mentioned this, he said not to put them on my MINI, as they would not last through a single track day on this car.

_Dave_

Old 09-11-2005, 03:31 PM
90STX
5th Gear
I've gone from 215/45-16 Azenis (original model) to 205/50-16 Avon M500 for street use and Avon R compounds for autocrossing (SM). I've been very favorably impressed with both for their assigned duties. The M500s are quite, turn in pretty well, and have more grip than I expected. They probably wouldn't be bad autocross street class tires, though not in the same league as the Axenis. I plan to use them for daily driving most of the time, with autocross duties if it rains hard or is really cold (November and February events). I didn't feel like dealing with the Azenis worn tire noise anymore, and can't get the size I want in them right now anyway. The summer 16" wheels are 16x7.5 Kosei K1-Rs, while the R compounds are on 15x7 versions of the same thing. I've got snow tires on the stock wheels for winter driving.It's early, but I'd buy the Avons again.

Scott
90SM

Old 09-11-2005, 08:33 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the great advice, the fuzion was recommended to me by couple of local mini-ers,

i heard great things about the M500, my only concern is that i cant get them locally, and tax will incur at the boarder if i order from states... guess ill call around tomorrow...

Old 09-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Da Boy
2nd Gear
Ive got the Ecsta SPT's and i really love them. wet or dry they are a fantastic tire... I do not get squirrly on wet surfaces in fact they hold very well...

I was very happy all around with them... they aslo appear to be lasting alot longer than the rf's

Old 09-14-2005, 10:49 AM
Green Giant
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Da Boy
Ive got the Ecsta SPT's and i really love them. wet or dry they are a fantastic tire... I do not get squirrly on wet surfaces in fact they hold very well...

I was very happy all around with them... they aslo appear to be lasting alot longer than the rf's
couple of questions: what size? and how noisy compared to the OEM RF?

Old 09-14-2005, 11:31 PM
Lowell
1st Gear
Avon M500's... Is it fair to ask how far do they go?

Looking over all of the glowing remarks I've read about the Avon Tech M500's at this forum it seems there should be no question but to order up a set... But wait a minute... How long do these shoes last?

Are those who have Avon Tech M500's happy with the longevity they are getting from them or is it just a straight given that for all of the performance, ride, and low noise you get from them a compromise in tread ware is simply the tradeoff?

Old 09-15-2005, 10:16 PM
90STX
5th Gear
I haven't had the Avon M500s on long enough to get any sense of durability. They still look new, but with only 2000 miles on them they ought to.

Compared to all season, low performance tires I would expect shorter life as a matter of course due to different design criteria.

These will be the first summer tires that I don't also regularly autocross on, so I expect they will last considerably longer than the 5 months that I've gotten out of previous sets (not Avons, but I don't think it matters). That wear rate was the about the same for Yokohama A520s, Bridgestone RE730s, Bridgestone S-03s, and a 7 sets of Falken Azenis. Those tires were all exposed to a daily commute of 90 miles and between 25 and 40 autocrosses a season.

Scott
90SM