Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Running different track and street pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 07:50 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Running different track and street pads

From the informal research I've been doing at the tracks I've been at, it seems like it might be a good idea to run two different sets of pads in my Cooper, one for the track and one for the street. The "compromise" pads just don't seem to cut it.

I remember reading somewhere about making sure when you do this that both sets of pads are made out of the same basic materials... something about bedding in pads... anyone have more information about this? Recommendations for pads?

Old 09-14-2005, 01:53 PM
lsd05jcw
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pads for track and street

great point!!!!!!!

I remember this issue too

my limited memory is that one definately does not want to run ebc street pads like green or red (kevlar?) and then switch to something like performance friction 97.. The reason is how the pads bed to the rotors and material left on the rotor dont marry welll. A switch like that is a big no no unless thorough scrubbing/sanding of rotor occurs....

I know from past experience that running stock bmw pads street or metal master and then switch to race pf97 works ok... but I still scuff up the rotor.. In taking with a club race/mechanic.. he felt it was best if one used race rotors with race pads, and not use street pads and then use race pads on the same rotor set.. I think that would be optimal, but having that extra step in DE prep is currently too much of a hassel..

Old 09-14-2005, 03:55 PM
dkstone
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by velVeT
From the informal research I've been doing at the tracks I've been at, it seems like it might be a good idea to run two different sets of pads in my Cooper, one for the track and one for the street. The "compromise" pads just don't seem to cut it.

I remember reading somewhere about making sure when you do this that both sets of pads are made out of the same basic materials... something about bedding in pads... anyone have more information about this? Recommendations for pads?
well if you don't mind a little noise just use the race pads all the time, I have doing that for the past 60K miles (Hawks HP Plus front and rear for a time then Hawks HP Plus rears and Brembo OEM pads for the fronts) just changes my rotors after 80K miles, Now I use Carbotech XP9 all around.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:34 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use HAWK HPS for the street, and their big brothers HP + for the track days, and Hawk Blue for for fun brake tracks, like Grattan and Blackhawk. They all share the same frightion family, and use the transfer film from my HPS. These happen to be grabbing Powerslot Cryo rotors in my case!

Alex

Old 09-15-2005, 12:14 PM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the info, Alex. I've been running Hawk HPS both street and track this summer. For next year, I'm probably going to do a different pad for the track. Good to have a data point using Hawk pads. And I just ordered some cryo-treated rotors yesterday (but not the slotted ones). :D