Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Slites really 55 pounds each?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 06:05 PM
mlebeau
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, so the previous wheels/tires were 50 pounds, and I have the 15" SSR Comps, which are 8.8 pounds, and Toyo T1-S tires which I read are ~17 pounds. So that's 25.8 pounds, thus a 24.2 pound drop on each corner. I hadn't done the specific math till now, but I knew 25 was pretty close.

-mike

Old 09-20-2005, 07:41 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by mlebeau
Yeah, so the previous wheels/tires were 50 pounds, and I have the 15" SSR Comps, which are 8.8 pounds, and Toyo T1-S tires which I read are ~17 pounds. So that's 25.8 pounds, thus a 24.2 pound drop on each corner. I hadn't done the specific math till now, but I knew 25 was pretty close.

-mike
My 17x7" S-lytes with Pirelli runflats were about 48 pounds each on the bathroom scale.

Tirerack.com lists 15x6" SSR comp rims at 8.8 pounds each
Toyo Proxes T1S in 205/55-15 are 18.9 pounds each
http://edgeracing.com/tire/1330/

This makes 27.7 pounds for 15" wheels and about as light a combo as can be. My Centerline 17x7 rims are about 13.5 pounds each and Potenza S-03 tires about 25 pounds each for a total of 38.5.

If you drive around town really smoothly and evenly then your heavy wheels will feel fine. If you like quick starts and stops and get on the throttle in a hurry then lighter wheels will feel more responsive/nimble.

Try riding a bicycle with light and with heavy wheels- big difference since you are providing the power. Less power is needed for moving light wheels on acceleration and braking.

The X-lyte wheels in 16x6.5" are about 17.6 pounds each and a good choice for stock rims.
http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?f...factory_wheels

Old 09-20-2005, 07:59 PM
gtshnzr
3rd Gear
The link to MIN2's tire page was enlightening. I'd been thinking about getting the JCW 18" rims to replace the 17" S lites ( I'm almost ready for new tires and would like to get winter tires for the S lites and then, later, summer tires for the new rims), but when you add the weights together, there is no difference. In fact, I think the JCW's with 18' Dunlop runflats weighs MORE than my current set up of 17" S lites with Pirelli RF's (25.1 + 22.0 = 47.1 vs 23.3 + 27.01 = 50.31) Still lots of weight if you can get it below 30# without much trouble.

So I guess the thing to do is ditch the RF's and rely on my can of fix-a-flat and the cig lighter powered air compressor.

Does anyone with light weight rims live in the pothole infested midwest? If so, how do they hold up?

Old 09-21-2005, 07:32 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gtshnzr
Does anyone with light weight rims live in the pothole infested midwest? If so, how do they hold up?
Kenchan will hopefully let you know what he's up to. Its just a tad southwest of you!

Alex

Old 09-21-2005, 08:49 AM
blue agave
3rd Gear
Okay. Now that the tech issue is sorted out, I'm convinced to go to 15' wheels, especially since I need a set for snows and the old Dunlops are heading down the end of their road. So, (1) what is the optimum tire size to go with the 15" rims (2) will the affect the odo/speedometer and (3) I have to have white wheels to replace my white R-85's (vanity/style issue ). Know of any 15" whiteys on the aftermarket? This has been a very informative and interesting thread. y'all.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:50 AM
andy@ross-tech.com
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Kosei K1 offer a pretty good combo of price, strength, light weight, and you can get them in white.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Bullfrog
4th Gear
Blue Agave -

Ummm, if this is a dumb question, just ignore me (I'm married, so I'm used to it). I haven't been around a Works Mini much, and I think you have one, but don't they have different calipers ? Are we sure 15" wheels fit ?

Just trying to watch out for you.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:07 AM
blue agave
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bullfrog
Blue Agave -

Ummm, if this is a dumb question, just ignore me (I'm married, so I'm used to it). I haven't been around a Works Mini much, and I think you have one, but don't they have different calipers ? Are we sure 15" wheels fit ?

Just trying to watch out for you.
Bullfrog,

I appreciate you looking out for me. I guess I would croak if I spent all that $$$$ and the wheels didn't fit. I understand that the JCW has the standard S suspension and braking hardware unless you fork over for the JCW suspension/brake options, which I don't have. Anyone, please let me know if I'm wrong.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:29 AM
gtshnzr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by blue agave
Bullfrog,

I appreciate you looking out for me. I guess I would croak if I spent all that $$$$ and the wheels didn't fit. I understand that the JCW has the standard S suspension and braking hardware unless you fork over for the JCW suspension/brake options, which I don't have. Anyone, please let me know if I'm wrong.
you're right. The dealer installed JCW upgrade on the '03s is only engine mods and exhaust. Apparently with the '06 models, the factory option will include the suspension/brakes and LSD. Both of which I wi$$$$h I had.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:00 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Close--it has the LSD, Brakes, and tuning kit, but not the suspension.

Old 09-21-2005, 01:32 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the unsprung weight experts

OK, so my wheels are 24 lbs, the tires 22 lbs (per tireracks ad) 17". If I go Comp SSR or one of the others, they are about 13 or 14 pounds. Even going Non RF, tires are still about 22 pounds.

So each corner goes from 46 pounds to 36 pounds. Is this going to make a real difference that can be felt??

Dont think I can go 16" because of JCW Brake fitment.

Help plz

Old 09-21-2005, 03:48 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
MINI2 FAQ changed

Someone must have listened, the MINI2 Tire FAQ has change GY RS-As from 30 to 22 pounds http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?f...factory_wheels

Old 09-21-2005, 03:52 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by chows4us
So each corner goes from 46 pounds to 36 pounds. Is this going to make a real difference that can be felt??

Help plz
As far as weight goes for wheels/tires:

On the track or at autocross your lap times or run times will show an improvement. It will be easier to get up to speed and to brake to slow down.

On the street, driving the speed limit with smooth even braking and acceleration, the effects will be muted/masked. It won't make that much difference for the average driver.

However most owners do feel that changing from runflats to nonrunflats does improve ride quality.

My autocross and track wheels/tires are about 29-30 pounds each, wouldn't leave home for competition without them.

Old 09-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Andrewsky
3rd Gear
Aren't you guys worried about flat tires/ and or cracked wheels?

Also, why does everybody have S-lites when they put on aftermarket wheels? Is it because, they bought the sport pack?

Old 09-21-2005, 04:25 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Andrewsky

Also, why does everybody have S-lites when they put on aftermarket wheels? Is it because, they bought the sport pack?
Most ppl just carry the "gunk" and don't worry about it (I think). MINI sells a kit and tirerack sells a kit. If you on a LONG trip, I would take a spare but thats me. Gunk aint going to help you with a blowout.

I think they all get s-lites because they come standard with the Sport Package.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:33 PM
blue agave
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
As far as weight goes for wheels/tires:

On the track or at autocross your lap times or run times will show an improvement. It will be easier to get up to speed and to brake to slow down.

On the street, driving the speed limit with smooth even braking and acceleration, the effects will be muted/masked. It won't make that much difference for the average driver.

However most owners do feel that changing from runflats to nonrunflats does improve ride quality.

My autocross and track wheels/tires are about 29-30 pounds each, wouldn't leave home for competition without them.
Agreed that the difference would be significant in autocross and insignificant to the average driver. I can only speak for myself, but also suspect that many on this thread are spirited road warriors who dream of the exotics they can admire in their rear view mirrors. Thus the question of how worthwhile this is for those of us who sprung for the JCW or other aftermarket horses and handling packages but don't race.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:18 PM
88m
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Andrewsky

thats the reason i didnt get the sport park, thx to the good info on NAM.

Old 09-22-2005, 01:07 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Thus the question of how worthwhile this is for those of us who sprung for the JCW or other aftermarket horses and handling packages but don't race.
Tires, I know, make a huge difference. The RS-As really are bad. Tirerack has a review and they performed really bad against the Goodyear F1s and Bridgestones (although still RFs). I think a tire change would make a difference. Wheels, on the other hand, doubtful ... that seems to be the vibes I'm getting.

Old 09-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed that the difference would be significant in autocross and insignificant to the average driver. I can only speak for myself, but also suspect that many on this thread are spirited road warriors who dream of the exotics they can admire in their rear view mirrors. Thus the question of how worthwhile this is for those of us who sprung for the JCW or other aftermarket horses and handling packages but don't race.
That is easy to answer. Are you happy with your MINI? If the answer is yes, then it is all worthwhile.

Another factor that I notice when I change from my 16" X-lite runflats to my 7-holies with winter tires is how much easier the "turn in" is when initiating a turn. The lower weight reduces the gyroscopic effect making it easier to change direction.

Unsprung weight also effects handling, especially over rough surfaces. It is easier to keep a light wheel/tire combination in contact with the road surface than it is with a heavier one. This improves acceleration, turning and braking because all of those things cannot happen if the tires are not on the road. It even improves the smoothness of the ride for a more comfortable ride.

"So each corner goes from 46 pounds to 36 pounds. Is this going to make a real difference that can be felt??"

Simple answer, Yes!

I really don't mind the runflats that much. I just bought another set, .......
of course that come standard on my new '06 MCS

Last edited by Alex@tirerack; 09-28-2005 at 03:54 PM.