Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

NJ: Do I need Winter Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 08:16 AM
1FSTMINI
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dchez
I live on LI and feel that dedicated winter snow tires are not absolutely necessary. That being said, I put a set of blizzaks on my 325iX a few years ago and the difference was night and day. The car went from being merely competent in the snow to practically unstopable. I'm scheduled to pick up my new MINI this week and I'm already planning on buying a set of snow tires for it (though I'm bummed that the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 DSST are NLA - guess I'll have to get non-runflats after all).

As long as you drive carefully, you should have no problem with the stock all-seasons. The snow tires just give you an extra margin of safety. Only you can make the call on how important that is to you. Just my $.02
Are you buying it from us at Habberstad or the enemy over at "Hassel".

Old 10-28-2005, 11:00 AM
Skeffers
3rd Gear
Here's a link to an article about winter traction. It's from CanadianDriver, eh?

http://www.canadiandriver.com/winter/5essentials.htm

Old 10-28-2005, 11:48 AM
BFG9000
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rl48mini
well, the question was "do I need winter tires?" (emphasis added) and the short answer is No!
Hoho, I suppose no-one absolutely needs to drive or have a car, either. Even on the west coast where it might snow two days a year (and go below freezing for a couple weeks) I have always used studded snows because they were cheaper than a deductible, and sometimes mountain passes require them.

Originally Posted by bmovierat
The mini feels like a different car with these things on. They are great in the snow, but no way am I able to have the same fun in the car (by diving into corners, accellerating, etc.) like I can when the summer tires are mounted.
A bit more trouble, but snow tires last many years if you only put them on on days where it is predicted to go below freezing, then promptly take them off. With all-seasons you can still creep home if caught away in a surprise snowstorm.

A must-read is this guy from upstate New York: http://www.snowtire.info/ There are actually snow tire enthusiasts just as passionate as Mini enthusiasts!