Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Worn out tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 06:36 AM
tommyb
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worn out tires

Seems like the GoodYear Run flats that came with my MCS are realy BadYear Run Flats, I've only got about 22,000 miles on my car and the tires make an awful rubbing sound. The dealer told me my tires are worn out and that I need a new set and that there is no warranty for the tires, since it is considered normal wear.

This does not seem right.

Has anyone else out there had trouble with their run flats?

Just wondering.

tommyb

Old 09-21-2005, 07:30 AM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22,000 miles doesn't seem to bad for preformance tires. Certainly not worth complaining about.

Just think how much fun you had in those 22,000 miles

Old 09-21-2005, 07:40 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a FWD car like the MCS which loves to be driven hard, unless you rotate every 5,000 miles, 22,000 sounds pretty good.

Edit: Front tires in FWD cars tend to go faster than rear tires on RWD cars (comperably powered) because the front tires on FWD are responsible for much more, ie...turning, accelerating, both at the same time.

If mileage is what you want, buy a high rated all-season and rotate every 5,000 miles. If they are uni-directional, just rotate front to back, if they aren't, then you have to do the zig-zag (I believe) but I don't know what the pattern is.

I decided NOT to rotate my runflats because it wasn't in the mini manual, and my tires will be finished before 22,000. Now I know.

mb

Last edited by mbcoops; 09-21-2005 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Info
Old 09-21-2005, 11:32 AM
kapps
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We got 27k miles out of the front Pirelli Euphori@s but they were a little below their wear indicators. A lot of people are having problems getting over 20k on the runflats. As posted earlier, the MINI will eat the front tires much faster than the rears. We didn't rotate so when the fronts went, we just got two new one's and replaced them. If this is what you will be doing, remember to get the rears balanced along with the fronts when they're installed. Since then, we've switched to non runflat Yokohama ES 100's that have better treadwear, better performance, and are cheaper.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:39 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by tommyb
Seems like the GoodYear Run flats that came with my MCS are realy BadYear Run Flats, I've only got about 22,000 miles on my car and the tires make an awful rubbing sound. The dealer told me my tires are worn out and that I need a new set and that there is no warranty for the tires, since it is considered normal wear.

This does not seem right.

Has anyone else out there had trouble with their run flats?

Just wondering.

tommyb
Your wear is about right and pretty common.

You'll need to decide if you want to keep runflats- if so you might check out Bridgestone potenza RE050A at tirerack- talk to Alex. $211 each.

If you want to go with non runflats then go to tirerack and select the tire size you want and you'll find replacements for about $100 each. You don't have a spare tire though.
Pick up a compact spare or can of fix a flat. I have AAA and a cell phone.