Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Avon Tech M550 A/S vs. Kumho Ectsa ASX's???

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 04:01 PM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avon Tech M550 A/S vs. Kumho Ectsa ASX's???

Hello all!!
I am about to order my wheels but I am trying to figure out what tires to mount on them. My two choices are:
Avon Tech M550 A/S

Kumho Ectsa ASX

I have the Kumho's on my current car and I like them a lot, though they do seem a little smooshy and soft. I need to get some all-season on the new wheels so summer only isn't an option. The Avon's seem to be rated on tirerack so much higher, but I am not sure if that is because they just came out and not many people have driven them for long periods or if they really are that good. The difference in price is only about $45 for all 4 tires, but if there really isn't much of a difference in the tire, I don't see a reason to spend the additional $45. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dennis

Old 10-03-2005, 08:08 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Both good tires

Which tire size are you using?

Which Kumhos do you have now?

What type of driving are you mostly doing? Street (urban vs commuting), any canyon driving, autocrossing or driving schools?

Try talking to Alex@tirerack.com as they sell both tires and have experience with them on MINIs.

Avon Tech M550:
AA traction
360 tread rating, W speed rated
Probably a little heavier for given size (maybe by 2 pounds)
Tirerack tests-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ech+M550+A%2FS

Kumho Ecsta ASX:
Comes in V (A traction) and W (AA traction) speed ratings
420 tread rating
Tirerack tests-
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...odel=ECSTA+ASX

For the money the Kumho ASX would probably work OK for street use.

For better performance and comfort the Avons rate higher by "owners".
Tirerack's tests show the Kumho ASX is also a very good performing tire for the cost.

You generally get what you pay for in tires from tirerack.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:17 PM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I am going to go with the 215-45-17 size for the increased sidewall and softer ride. Currently I have the Dunlop DSST Runflats (I think that is the name). Not really my cup of tea in the ride department, though they do seem to handle relatively well. I have the ASX's on my G35 and I like them a lot. The car will mostly be used for normal everyday driving. Around here, that means mostly highway. My wife is going to autocross it occasionally, but I don't want to get another set of wheels/tires like I have for my other car.

Any other all-season high performance tires that you could recommend?? I basically picked these two since I have some good experience with the ASX's but have heard tremendous things about the Avon's. WHen i was buying the ASX's from tirerack, I asked about the Avon's. The sales guy (Luke) said that he would purchase them for his own car over the ASX's. THey had just came out so I was weary about being a guinea pig with them!!

I think I may just go ahead and give them a shot. They'll only last 30,000 miles or so and then I can change them if I don't like them....