Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

remount tires to compensate for outside shoulder wear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 06:17 AM
snid
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
remount tires to compensate for outside shoulder wear?

Has anyone had their (track used) tires unmounted from the rims then remounted for the other side of the car? My tires are directional, so you cannot just take the wheel and tire from the left side and put it on the right side, it will be rotating the wrong way. But, the tires are symmetrical, so there is no "inside" or "outside" of the tire. You could unmount the tires, then remount with the old outside now on the inside.

I've got a lot of wear on the outside shoulders of my tires, but the inside shoulders are looking pretty good. Would it be worth the cost of getting them remounted? Would I be asking for strange handling as the tire wear already on the tires would be all wrong?

I think I can get 2 more track days out of my tires, then it's snow tire time anyway... so it might be a moot question.

Old 10-05-2005, 08:55 AM
JeffS
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure, it's done all the time.

You have to put a dollar value on the amount of life you'd be losing by not flipping them, then compare that to the cost of having them flipped.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:07 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
Sure, it's done all the time.

You have to put a dollar value on the amount of life you'd be losing by not flipping them, then compare that to the cost of having them flipped.
Minor point, but - be sure to include the cost of road force balancing as well into the calculation.

Old 10-05-2005, 10:11 AM
JeffS
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does mounting ever not include balancing?

Old 10-05-2005, 10:31 AM
caminifan
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
Does mounting ever not include balancing?
Two points: In my neck of the woods, balancing is an additional cost item; second, I specifically mentioned road force balancing, which is a more exacting balancing procedure (and therefore is priced higher than regular spin balancing). If you are going to be attempting to extend the life of used tires, I personally would want them to be balanced spot on. Road force balancing gets as close to perfect balance as is presently possible. If for some reason, there is an internal fault with the tire that prevents it being road force balanced, I would rather replace the tire than try to get one or two more track sessions in on it - you might regret the decision to extend the tire's use if you were to get in a crash due to failure of the tire....