Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tires for the Mini S

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 04:57 AM
Rick_G
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires for the Mini S

Howdy,

I just purchased a nice used (2004) Cooper S with the JCW engine tuning package this past Tuesday. The car has 14,000 miles on it.

The car has the 17" S-Lite wheels. It has a two Dunlop 9000 run-flats on the back, and two Falken ZE-512's (non run-flats) on the front.

Two observations: I get a fair amount of NOISE from the rear tires. And I get some vibration from the front tires at high speeds (over 90 mph). I'm assuming that the front tires need some balancing.

The tires still have a fair amount of tread. But I'm considering replacing the set soon so that I can improve the overall condition.

I called Tire Rack and the helpful fella recommended going with a Continental Air Compressor / Fix-A-Flat device. And getting rid of the run flats altogether. A friend of mine with a JCW S also rides his without the run flats.

So here's what I'm wondering...

Since I'm kind of a newbie to this car, what do you guys recommend. I like the security of the run-flats, but if they are not worth considering for a sweet ride like this, I'm certainly open to other suggestions.

I live in Florida, so it's summer year round. I obviously plan to drive the tires, or I wouldn't have bought an S with the JCW package :smile:

So which tires will give me the following three things?
(1) fun to drive performance
(2) will last reasonably well
(3) provide a measure of smoothness
What are your favorites?

Thanks in advance!

Rick

Old 10-15-2005, 11:37 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GoodYear Eagle F1 GS-D3 in 215/45/17 size. :smile:

they have one in 215/40/17 size going at $99... i would probably do that
instead although the load rating is on the low side.

i run 205/50/16's.

Old 10-15-2005, 11:51 AM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
....The car has the 17" S-Lite wheels. It has a two Dunlop 9000 run-flats on the back, and two Falken ZE-512's (non run-flats) on the front....
DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR with that tire combination. It's incredibly dangerous!!! There is a tread here on this forum with the consequences of doing so.

Old 10-15-2005, 11:56 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by onasled
DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR with that tire combination. It's incredibly dangerous!!! There is a tread here on this forum with the consequences of doing so.
215/45 or 215/40?

Old 10-15-2005, 12:00 PM
onasled
Banned
You can't have two totally different makes of tires on the Mini, front and back. Especially the combo of Runflats and non- runflats.

Here is some reading
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48936&highlight=dangerous

Old 10-15-2005, 12:10 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Oh, that's what you are referring to. I didn't read the full OP post so I just assume, incorrectly, that he was going to replace all of the tires.

Old 10-15-2005, 12:19 PM
rrdusek
3rd Gear
GoodYear Eagle F1 GS-D3 in 215/45/17 size

just this week, i added these all around and i definately recomend them.

Old 10-15-2005, 12:41 PM
british kompressor
3rd Gear
T1-r!

Old 10-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Strom
4th Gear
I just put the new Toyo T1-Rs on my car about 4k miles ago - they're great tires. Pretty quiet on the highway, and they have TONS of grip. Haven't tried them in the rain yet, but they're supposedly pretty good for a performance tire.

Old 10-15-2005, 07:15 PM
Rick_G
1st Gear
Thanks for the heads up about the mis-match on the tires. I had no idea how dangerous this setup could be. And here I've been out crankin through turns at MAX speeds giving friends rides in the new MINI. I coulda killed 'em. Yikes!

OK. So I'm planning on replacing all 4 tires next week. What do you feel will be the best tires for Summer Perfomance, Smoothness, and Longevity?

What would you recommend? What are your favorites???

Oh and some decently priced tires would help it to go over better with the misses (if that's a possibiilty too).

Old 10-15-2005, 07:31 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
I recommended the GY F1 D3 GS as well. They are quiet and they grip.

Old 10-15-2005, 08:06 PM
weezer2282
5th Gear
A member of our MINI club just put on Avon Tech 500 tires. He says he can't even hear the tires now since they are so quiet and they have a comfortable ride. The only downside is the sidewall is relatively soft compared to other performance tires and flexes a bit in hard cornering. I don't think they are that pricey either.

I however like those Toyo T1-Rs...they just look flat out cool. I think those will go on when my runflats are all done.

Old 10-15-2005, 08:40 PM
n3nyongmini
4th Gear
hmm

FWIW I too just picked up a "used" '05 JCW. There are 205/55/16 EV100's on it, which is an oversize tire (larger diameter). I think the larger tires help to prevent wheelslip (kinda like the 'Vettes and Cobras 'back in the day') and pickup some more top end. I see this as a JCW particular thing due to the increased hp and it seems to ride/accelerate well.

I also have a set of 15" holies with some 205/50/15 Azenis on them, which was an undersize tire I ran on my CVT; this helped get the car going quite a bit but cut off some of the top end. Same principle.

So, I'd look for as large a tire diameter as you can fit in there, since the JCW has the power to turn the larger wheel. Samller diameter tires will have a greater tendency to slip in acceleration.

Derek

Old 10-15-2005, 08:47 PM
element
3rd Gear
GoodYear Eagle F1 GS-D3 in 215/40/17

I went through a set this summer including lots of track work and autocross. Great grip and feedback, amazing in the wet as well. I'm getting another set in the spring (cords are showing on the front left (track abuse ))

phil.

Old 10-15-2005, 08:58 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
You can't have two totally different makes of tires on the Mini, front and back. Especially the combo of Runflats and non- runflats.

Here is some reading
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48936&highlight=dangerous

I second this warning-- very dangerous. I have heard more than a few bad (and by bad I mean horrible) story about mixing types and brands of tires.

I'm also in the process of picking out replacements for my tried runflats so thanks for the tire recommendations. I can't wait to feel the improvement of a new set of tires that don't weigh a ton.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:06 PM
zrwon
4th Gear
GoodYear Eagle F1 GS-D3 215/45-17

Originally Posted by rrdusek
just this week, i added these all around and i definately recomend them.
I ordered mine a week prior to get the car and as soon as I got home I put them on, the car was brand new and I agree they are the best thing I ever did, I want them on all my vehicles now but they don't make the size I want.

F1 GS-D3 all the way

Old 10-15-2005, 09:20 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I have had the Toyo Proxies 4, and am now running the BGF G-force. I would recomend either, both have been great.

Nik

Old 10-16-2005, 08:34 AM
ditc
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI Monkey
I second this warning-- very dangerous. I have heard more than a few bad (and by bad I mean horrible) story about mixing types and brands of tires.

I'm also in the process of picking out replacements for my tried runflats so thanks for the tire recommendations. I can't wait to feel the improvement of a new set of tires that don't weigh a ton.
Personally, I dont think it's that dangerous mixing. I had runflats in the back and some BFGs in front for several thousand miles. Even did a track day and never had any problems, except for the runflats are junk and dont grip!. Was actually a lot of fun with the rear end hanging out! So, while I dont recommend mixing, I also dont think it presents a huge danger (everything else being equal) if you are driving 'normally'.....

Last edited by ditc; 10-16-2005 at 08:54 AM. Reason: I see this has been discussed at length in the other thread...so never mind...
Old 10-16-2005, 11:19 AM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by ditc
Personally, I dont think it's that dangerous mixing. I had runflats in the back and some BFGs in front for several thousand miles. Even did a track day and never had any problems, except for the runflats are junk and dont grip!. Was actually a lot of fun with the rear end hanging out! So, while I dont recommend mixing, I also dont think it presents a huge danger (everything else being equal) if you are driving 'normally'.....
Boy, do I disagree.
Drive as normally as you like, but when that car pops out of a blind drive, that deer shoots across the road just in front of you, or that person steps out from between two parked cars and you have to do a defensive driving maneuver, it's all over.

Old 10-16-2005, 11:25 AM
british kompressor
3rd Gear
Boy, do I disagree.
Drive as normally as you like, but when that car pops out of a blind drive, that deer shoots across the road just in front of you, or that person steps out from between two parked cars and you have to do a defensive driving maneuver, it's all over.
So true.

Old 10-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Rick_G
1st Gear
So the consensus seems to be leaning toward the GoodYear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Are there any other good tires I should be considering?

Is it a given that I should be looking at other tires than run-flats?

Are there any less expensive tires that are comparable to the GS-D3's, or should I be looking at the GS-D3's only?

Thanks for all your help!!!

Old 10-16-2005, 03:08 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
Definitely don't get runflats. The ride is terrible and they are too heavy.

I was also wondering about other recommendations for tires.

Old 10-16-2005, 03:30 PM
zrwon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ditc
I had a friend who used to tell me that keeping a loaded gun in the house was not dangerous either until is 4 years old son shot his little sister.

Old 10-16-2005, 03:38 PM
zrwon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rick_G
So the consensus seems to be leaning toward the GoodYear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Are there any other good tires I should be considering?

Is it a given that I should be looking at other tires than run-flats?

Are there any less expensive tires that are comparable to the GS-D3's, or should I be looking at the GS-D3's only?

Thanks for all your help!!!
One step down from the GS-D3 would be the Michelin Pilot Sport and if you want the next step down would be the BFG's KD but I don't think they still make that one, it's been replaced with the G" Force and I think the G" Force might fit somewhere close to the Pilot Sport but I have no experience with them, some times the size determine what brand of tire I'll use.
On a front wheel drive you want the best traction in the back for safety at highway speed, so many people think it's front drive and put the best one in front, but everytime I've heard of someone rolling a FWD and ask about the tires, it was always a case of best tires up front, I've done it too back in 1984 and I've seen it so many times now, cops know that one too so as tow truck drivers, they have to pick up the pieces all the time.

Old 10-16-2005, 07:57 PM
Rick_G
1st Gear
Thanks for all the great feedback thus far.

Any thoughts on the BFG g-Force Sport's?

Quick Reply: Tires for the Mini S