Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Do you use Nitrogen in the Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 05:01 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW, Man, now there is another accesory I got to buy. This car is one HUGE black hole

Old 10-19-2005, 06:42 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
I don't have a place near me (or know of) that has Nitrogen.
How about Costco? But if you didn't get the tires there, I don't know whether they would deal with it.

Old 10-19-2005, 06:42 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HomerJ
Wow, the people who sell a product have good things to say about it! For normal everyday driving, normal air is just fine. I wouldn't worry too much about oxygen deteriorating the rubber inside of my tires when the outsides are exposed to regular old air 24/7. Maybe they can find a way to sell something for this all too comon problem, like some sort of nitrogen bag that I can seal my whole car in.
I'm pretty sure the nitrogen bag of which you speak is already available. I still think helium is a better choice for tires because it makes the whole car lighter and you can have fun with it every time you air up.

Old 10-19-2005, 07:03 PM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
How about Costco? But if you didn't get the tires there, I don't know whether they would deal with it.
AFAIK, Costco near me doesn't have nitrogen. I do believe that they will fill you tires with nitrogen for $5/tire though for the others...

Old 10-19-2005, 07:15 PM
effusant
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rkw
Costco uses nitrogen exclusively for filling tires, at no charge.

Pure nitrogen reportedly leaks out of tires something like 50% slower than regular air. For the average driver who doesn't check tire pressure, this may translate into more safety. Also, bottled nitrogen is dry. Regular compressed air can have quite a lot of moisture, so you would avoid the added weight and corrosion potential. However, I would guess these advantages are more theoretical than making any practical difference.
Compressed air doesn't have much moisture. Compressing it pushes the boiling point of water up, causing a lot of it to condense out. If you compress 100 cubic feet per minute to 100 psi (typical shop system), you can expect to trap about 20 gallons of water per day.

Any arguments about weight would almost certainly be related to oxygen. O2 is about 8% heavier than the same pressure and volume of N2, and makes up about 21% of the atmosphere. So switching to N2 from air could save you around 2% of the weight of the air in your tires. The amount saved is probably less than the precision on the balancing weights. And water vapor is actually lighter than nitrogen. Chances are the amount of water would be negligable since 100% relative humidity at 100 psi is pretty low in absolute terms (not likely more than 2%) and since the air will be at a much lower pressure in the tires, you can be sure that any water vapor will remain vapor. Furthermore, compressor lines almost always have some sort of water filtration system since they're generally cheaper than replacing rusted tools.

The only convincing argument I have ever heard for the use of nitrogen in tires is that N2 gas is supposedly less thermally conductive than other atmospheric gases, and expands a little less with heat. These two factors would make tire pressure more consistent of varying temperatures with pure N2, but even then, I'd have to see some hard data to believe it's even a measurable effect.

Old 10-19-2005, 07:25 PM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
I have a hard time believing that the little shops on the side of the road actually keep up with getting the water seperators on their compressors!! From what I have read, for the little bit that it costs, it seems like a decent idea. Obviously not for everyone, but something to think about.

Kind of the same idea as synthetic vs Dino oil. I use it because I feel it last longer, though I still change it at 5000 miles. I know they aren't the same (tires vs. engines), but on the same sort of principle.

Old 10-19-2005, 08:49 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
AFAIK, Costco near me doesn't have nitrogen. I do believe that they will fill you tires with nitrogen for $5/tire though for the others...
You should check with your local Costco to be sure. Some time ago, I thought I read that Costco was converting all of their tire locations to nitrogen.

Old 10-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Rxflyer
1st Gear
Just a waste of effort and money for the regular guy. They use N in jet tires because of the temperature extremes they encounter over a short period of time. It can be 120 F in Phoenix at takeoff and 30 minutes later, at altitudes, -50F or lower. Imagine what that would do with regular air in the tires ! I've heard they run N in Nascar races so it's easier to finely adjust the pressure in a given tire, and so it maintains that pressure at racing temps. On the street, you are not gaining any real advantage, because you should check pressures regularly.

Oh, yeah, ya gotta be mighty careful with a 2000 psi tank of N, too.

Old 10-19-2005, 08:59 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Okay who put a Nitrogen bottle in front of my car?! Seriously this looks exactly my car, M7 grill and all!

Old 10-20-2005, 04:40 AM
HomerJ
3rd Gear
So wouldn't you have to suck out all the ambient air from your tires (the air that gets inside during mounting) before refilling with the nitrogen?

Old 10-20-2005, 08:55 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Where are the engineers? If you start with 14.7PSI (assuming an empty, unloaded tire), and go to 35PSI, you'll have what, 66% pure N vs. 34% air (@80%=27% N, for a total of 83% N vs 17% 02)? Not sure if the math works that way.

Old 10-20-2005, 09:18 AM
10851CS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Wow - in CA stations are required to provide free air for customers.
I'm by San Diego and I want to know where to go for my refund
All the places I know of around here charge for it

Stop by my shop and you can fill your tires for free (with air) compresor has a water filter on it.

Earl

Old 10-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
From http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/dms/FAQ.htm

Gas stations are required to provide air and water free to customers who buy gasoline or diesel. You may have to ask the attendant for a token or to turn the equipment on for you. If the attendant does not give you a token or turn the equipment on, posted on the equipment is the 1-800-356-7057 number where you may call to file a complaint. You may also submit a complaint form online to the Division of Measurement Standards.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:10 AM
theroyalwe
5th Gear
I have a hard time believing that the little shops on the side of the road actually keep up with getting the water seperators on their compressors!! From what I have read, for the little bit that it costs, it seems like a decent idea. Obviously not for everyone, but something to think about.

Kind of the same idea as synthetic vs Dino oil. I use it because I feel it last longer, though I still change it at 5000 miles. I know they aren't the same (tires vs. engines), but on the same sort of principle.
I would think that most shops do have water seperators as they would use the same compressor for the tire air as they use for their air rachets and such. They definately use this or the air tools would be rusting internally and binding up. Then again there may be some shops that only have the separator on the line to the shop and the line to the tire hose comes straight from the compressor.

Old 10-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nitrogen is doner tradionally in racing with 2 valve stems - a fill and a draw side - you fill to pressure once, open the oposing valuve stem and drain, then refill. This is done 2 mabey 3 time to insure full atmospheric evacuation is complete. The result is a very dry mixture of mostly Nitrogen. Without high O water can't exisit inside your tires and your pressure charge stays more stable through various temeratures.

Alex

Old 10-20-2005, 03:18 PM
ninjamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
Nitrogen is doner tradionally in racing with 2 valve stems - a fill and a draw side - you fill to pressure once, open the oposing valuve stem and drain, then refill. This is done 2 mabey 3 time to insure full atmospheric evacuation is complete. The result is a very dry mixture of mostly Nitrogen. Without high O water can't exisit inside your tires and your pressure charge stays more stable through various temeratures.

Alex
So alex is it worth $30 for my Honda or Mini?

Old 10-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack

Alex

The Kosei wheels have a two valve system for that reason right?

Old 10-21-2005, 01:57 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ninjamini
So alex is it worth $30 for my Honda or Mini?
if its done right, sure - but getting Nitrogen everywhere is not easy. One atmospheric top up and the charge is useless.

Alex

Old 10-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
The Kosei wheels have a two valve system for that reason right?
Exactly!

Alex