Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Do you use Nitrogen in the Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 03:56 PM
ninjamini
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you use Nitrogen in the Tires?

Just bought 4 tires for my 03 Honda Accord. I got Goodyear assurance comfortred. I was swayed by the Nirtogen sales pitch. Yea I'm a sucker or am I? I looked it up online and I guess its good. Or is it just another way to get me for $30?

What do you think? Have you researched it? Have you used it? The Honda is my wife's car and she does not check the pressure.

Old 10-18-2005, 04:04 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ninjamini
Yea I'm a sucker or am I? I looked it up online and I guess its good. Or is it just another way to get me for $30?
He say you coming (as they say). Its been said that Nitrogen can be used in race cars, makes the temperature more stable. For the street ... well what about all the cars that use just air?

Old 10-18-2005, 04:06 PM
JeffS
5th Gear
Or is it just another way to get me for $30?
yep.

Sure, it has advantages, but not on the street.

Old 10-18-2005, 04:08 PM
ninjamini
5th Gear
How about the doest leak as much thing. Or the doesn't dry out the rubber?

Old 10-18-2005, 04:30 PM
NealW
2nd Gear
Remember that air is 79% nitrogen. If nitrogen didn’t leak, then you would have almost pure nitrogen in your tires after airing up a couple of times. At that point you could stop topping up.

It hasn’t happened for me, so I think the nitrogen leaks.

Old 10-18-2005, 04:33 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use helium, makes my MINI much lighter.

Yes, it is another way to get you for $30.:impatient

Old 10-18-2005, 04:43 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Costco uses nitrogen exclusively for filling tires, at no charge.

Pure nitrogen reportedly leaks out of tires something like 50% slower than regular air. For the average driver who doesn't check tire pressure, this may translate into more safety. Also, bottled nitrogen is dry. Regular compressed air can have quite a lot of moisture, so you would avoid the added weight and corrosion potential. However, I would guess these advantages are more theoretical than making any practical difference.

Old 10-18-2005, 04:44 PM
ninjamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Costco uses nitrogen exclusively for filling tires, at no charge.

Pure nitrogen reportedly leaks out of tires something like 50% slower than regular air. For the average driver who doesn't check tire pressure, this may translate into more safety. Also, bottled nitrogen is dry. Regular compressed air can have quite a lot of moisture, so you would avoid the added weight and corrosion potential. However, I would guess these advantages are more theoretical than making any practical difference.

Thanx rwk!

Made me feel much better.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:48 PM
Special Agent Cooper
2nd Gear
Hey they only fill jet-plane tires with nitrogen so it must be necessary for your MINI as well right?

Old 10-18-2005, 06:45 PM
ninjamini
5th Gear
I just found some research that shows that Nitrogen in the tires vs compressed air:

"Nitrogen...increases hourspower by 10-15 HP..."

I think its true!

Old 10-18-2005, 06:58 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
How about the doest leak as much thing. Or the doesn't dry out the rubber?
Well its not like air is expensive, if it leaks you can get more of it pretty cheap.......And about drying out tires, Usually you replace tires because they are bald or have puncture. It's not like youre tires crumble apart after a year or two

Old 10-18-2005, 07:02 PM
White_Knuckles
3rd Gear
You got Hosed! ..... air hosed that is.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:46 PM
anteken
4th Gear
Air is nearly 80% nitrogen. I'll take a "B" and keep my $30.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:19 AM
daleCarlsbad
3rd Gear
Nitrogen in the tires is a definite plus and I use it in all my vehicles plus the bicycles. I have been using it for the last ten years. Besides the obvious advantage of being more stable and thus providing a more constant pressure, your tires will in most cases never have to be topped up.

Tire pressure is a key factor in over all performance and tire wear. Sorry....but anybody that says different is either misinformed or has not actually used nitrogen to appreciate the benefits.

It may not be a big deal with Mini tires only costing about $400 a set, but if you have to replace today's ultra high performance low mileage tires ($265 each on a Porsche, $200 each on a Sportbike) the investment in a tank of nitrogen makes financial sense.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:42 AM
ninjamini
5th Gear
So I've come to a conclusion is that if all the N does is keep air from leaking out as much...its worth it.

Originally Posted by planeguy
Well its not like air is expensive, if it leaks you can get more of it pretty cheap
Also it cost $$ down in Fla. Usually $1 to $1.5 for that free air. And I always have to feed it twice. So if I have to fill less often and it does not cost me anything (the tire guy will give me free N top offs) I probably break even.

$2 (pay 2x) x 15 refils is $30. Thats what the N cost me. But the real benefit is not having my wife driveing on poor tire pressure. One time I found her tires 10lbs too low and one time 4lbs too high. Women!

Old 10-19-2005, 06:10 AM
HomerJ
3rd Gear
You probably got hosed. Here is a reasonable opinion on the subject.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...bruary/02.html

Old 10-19-2005, 06:10 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like this thread, it's very funny.

Here's a tip to save a few bucks. Using your own air pump, (free air), air your tires up to about 38psi. After a while the pressure will drop to about 30PSI and stop leaking as the Oxygen leaks out and the Nitrogen doesn't. When the tire pressure is stable use your air pump to top them off to about 38psi again. This time they should only drop to about 36psi as the Oxygen leaks out. Now you have purged almost all of the Oxygen and are left with only the Nitrogen you got for free.

Buy yourself a good meal with the $30 you save.

Old 10-19-2005, 06:19 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Where did you get your set up and how much investment is involved?
Originally Posted by daleCarlsbad
Nitrogen in the tires is a definite plus and I use it in all my vehicles plus the bicycles. I have been using it for the last ten years. Besides the obvious advantage of being more stable and thus providing a more constant pressure, your tires will in most cases never have to be topped up.

Tire pressure is a key factor in over all performance and tire wear. Sorry....but anybody that says different is either misinformed or has not actually used nitrogen to appreciate the benefits.

It may not be a big deal with Mini tires only costing about $400 a set, but if you have to replace today's ultra high performance low mileage tires ($265 each on a Porsche, $200 each on a Sportbike) the investment in a tank of nitrogen makes financial sense.

Old 10-19-2005, 08:37 AM
ninjamini
5th Gear
Originally Posted by HomerJ
You probably got hosed. Here is a reasonable opinion on the subject.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/colum...bruary/02.html

Damm why didn't I think to check these guys! Your right on and I got the Hose. Shaft it up to a good sales pitch.

Being one who trains sales people I can respect a good pitch.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:18 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Also it cost $$ down in Fla. Usually $1 to $1.5 for that free air. And I always have to feed it twice. So if I have to fill less often and it does not cost me anything (the tire guy will give me free N top offs) I probably break even.

$2 (pay 2x) x 15 refils is $30. Thats what the N cost me. But the real benefit is not having my wife driveing on poor tire pressure. One time I found her tires 10lbs too low and one time 4lbs too high. Women!
LOGIC ALERT! He sells N based on not having to refill the tires, then sells that he'll fill them up for free?? Uh, if it doesn't leak, why would it need to be filled? And, if you check and find them low, are you going to be near his shop? If you get a flat and it's filled by another station, will he 'drain' the air and refill with N - wouldn't want to mix (seriously.)

Wow - in CA stations are required to provide free air for customers. Alternatively, you can get a small cig-lighter powered compressor for $15 or so.

I make it a habit to check ALL tire pressures (including the SPARE) once a month (and if I remember every other month, I'm doing good! )

Old 10-19-2005, 09:31 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by daleCarlsbad
Ok, help me out with this one.
Unless you change your own tires, (or bring your N bottle with you) they get filled up at the tire place. So either they are filled with N, or filled with air, and you drain them when you get home and put in N. If they're filled with N and N doesn't leak, why do you need a tank of N? So you drain and fill at home? (Nice setup in the garage, BTW!)
TIA for any clarification!

Old 10-19-2005, 11:31 AM
daleCarlsbad
3rd Gear
I bought the set-up for my racing karts, which require very stable tire pressures, as one or two psi difference in a 12-psi tire while doing 130 mph makes a huge difference in handling.

And in kart racing, one needs several sets of wheels, as the tires are only good for one session, if your serious about lap times! So, mounting and filling tires is a big part of the race weekend.

As for the cars & Sportbikes, I get the tires mounted and then come home, pull the stem valve to bleed out all the air, and refill with nitrogen.

The tank, hose, quick connects, and regulator cost me about $250, and the Longacre gauge with bleeder button was another $65. The nitrogen costs about $16 to refill the tank.

Old 10-19-2005, 03:29 PM
daleCarlsbad
3rd Gear
Old 10-19-2005, 03:41 PM
HomerJ
3rd Gear
Wow, the people who sell a product have good things to say about it! For normal everyday driving, normal air is just fine. I wouldn't worry too much about oxygen deteriorating the rubber inside of my tires when the outsides are exposed to regular old air 24/7. Maybe they can find a way to sell something for this all too comon problem, like some sort of nitrogen bag that I can seal my whole car in.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:56 PM
D_Nyholm
4th Gear
From what i've been reading on the subject, it is very beneficial. When I take a car to the autocross, i'lll start the day at 33 psi front and 31 rear. When I take a few runs, I can check them and see 38 psi front and 36 psi rear. If I were using Nitrogen, I could just start the day with 37 or 38 psi front and the rear with 35-36 psi. Then I don't have to worry about my pressures being different from the beginning of the run to the end. Unfortunately, I don't have a place near me (or know of) that has Nitrogen. The Infiniti dealer in DFW, Texas will fill your tires with Nitrogen for free whenever you need it as long as you service it with them. If you need to top up and don't have nitrogen available, you fill it with regular air and next time they will refill with nitrogen (after getting the air out of the tire). Not a bad deal, but they are in TX and I am in NY!!

Quick Reply: Do you use Nitrogen in the Tires?