Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Ordered wheels and got studs and lug nuts??

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 07:31 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you compare the section of the silver studs posted here and the black ones I posted between the threads for the hub and threads for the nuts (where there are no threads) you will see a BIG difference. This is where these studs shear.

Also not the tips of the black ones. These are designed to so the nut slips over them and aligns them (almost) perfectly with the thread.

Old 10-23-2005, 07:01 AM
J0kER
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it is what I feel but correct me if im wrong

i think onasled answered this allready but when u look at the difference in the two sets of lugz u will see that its plain as day the quality between both...im not jus sayin' that they look to be cheap w/out looking at them in person but since i have seen quite a few different kinds of bolts in the past i can say that from the looks of these they dont look better then say the ones onasled posted pix on!!! in my experience all the top notch hardware i've seen has allways been dark in colour/perfect finish at cut off points ( forget what steel they were but know they were top notch
Originally Posted by toddtce
Huh? Would you care to expand on that one in great detail? I for one am all ears.

Old 10-23-2005, 03:30 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I hope to not turn this into some big arguement.

What you are looking at are 'race' studs (ARP for example) where the end of the stud is bull nosed. This is done to allow quick lug nut changes. With air tools~! OMG

The finish of the stud (or as it was put; the cool tells me their crap) means about zip. The black ones may be simple black oxide. This is common to many parts where finish is of little importance. And they rust.

ARP (and others) sell plated studs too. I doubt theyr'e crap. These are often zinc or cadmium plated. The dull yellow being cad, the bright yellow being zinc. Zinc takes a second process to bake the part to remove the acids from the hardware. This it to prevent hydrogen embrittlement associated with plating.

"Looking at" a bolt for it's color tells you nothing. I'll grant you the bull nose studs appear to have a higher finish quality about them. But you cannot call them bad knowing nothing about their materials.

Old 10-23-2005, 09:58 PM
J0kER
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yikes!!!!!!!!

like i said b4 i thought it "looked" like they are not of quality not that they were not quality, sorry i do not know the correct terms as to what different types of metals/finishes =do or how they perform but i (simply put) gave my opinion on a subject and said it " looks " not ' I know '
--BtW, I too hope to not turn this into sum arguement!
Originally Posted by toddtce
I hope to not turn this into some big arguement.

What you are looking at are 'race' studs (ARP for example) where the end of the stud is bull nosed. This is done to allow quick lug nut changes. With air tools~! OMG

The finish of the stud (or as it was put; the cool tells me their crap) means about zip. The black ones may be simple black oxide. This is common to many parts where finish is of little importance. And they rust.

ARP (and others) sell plated studs too. I doubt theyr'e crap. These are often zinc or cadmium plated. The dull yellow being cad, the bright yellow being zinc. Zinc takes a second process to bake the part to remove the acids from the hardware. This it to prevent hydrogen embrittlement associated with plating.

"Looking at" a bolt for it's color tells you nothing. I'll grant you the bull nose studs appear to have a higher finish quality about them. But you cannot call them bad knowing nothing about their materials.