Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Spare tire question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 04:38 PM
D.J.
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare tire question

What is the best set up for a spare tire when I have Yokohama AVS ES 100's on the MCS now. I have a tire repair kit for nails and such, air compressor and cell phone but there are areas of I-40 where there is no cell service. and if you have major tire failure out in the middle of no where, I thought a real spare would come in handy.

I'm getting ready to go on a cross country trip next week and really wanted a spare tire for the trip.

So considering the tires are directional, what would work for a spare?

I just have few minutes here at home tonight and really didn't have time to do a search on the subject.

Old 10-25-2005, 05:35 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can just get a donut for a MC or Civic and it should work just fine.

I'd try to keep the weight as low as possible when carrying a spare, so a donut would probably be better than a full sized spare.

The spare does not need to be directional as you won't wanna be going
over 55mph anyway on a donut so traction is really not the issue. Just
getting you to a safe location to get help/tire replaced. :smile:

Old 10-25-2005, 06:14 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A directional running backwards only complicates things in water. In dry it may be noisier.

Alex

Old 10-25-2005, 06:47 PM
D.J.
6th Gear
OK, thanks so much for the spare advice.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:30 PM
D.J.
6th Gear
Well darn it, I think I have screwed up. I go to my local MINI dealer and buy the regular five spoke wheel to be used as a spare. I then go to a tire dealer in town and buy one Yokohama Avs ES 100 and had it mounted on the the new wheel and this was to match my other four wheels and tires.

After I do all this, the tire dealers says I hope if you have a flat, that its on the side of the your DIRECTIONAL spare as you really can't go from side to side with the different tires. I forgot all about the directional stuff and he tells me this after he mounts it.

I go back to the MINI dealer and ask if I can exchange the wheel for donut wheel instead. He said nope, because I had the new tire put on the new wheel he could not take it back.

The parts guy at the dealership didn't even offer the donut as a option for me, nor did he mention that the tires are directional and that the spare really should only be used on one side.

The Tire Rack posted that you could use the spare as it would only make a difference in the rain, and might be louder going down the road.

So now I have a new wheel and one new tire. I guess thats not such a bad deal, but I'm affraid the the AVS ES 100 tire might go out of production by the time I need to replace my other tires.

Also the new wheel back in the boot sure takes up alot of room. I can buy a donut wheel for about $60 bucks. I sure wish the dealer would have offered that at first

Old 10-26-2005, 08:45 PM
m332is
3rd Gear
I would not worry about the spare tire being a directional. The spare on my 99 e36 M3 had a matching directional as a spare from the factory.