Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tire's Goodyear or Kumho

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 09:51 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire's Goodyear or Kumho

I just bought some Ro_Ja LT5s and have narrowed my tire choice down to two. Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-DS @ 25lbs or the Kumho Ecstra MX @ 23lbs. I got the weights off a tread on NAM(hope there close). I will be using these tires for street only but I do push the car hard (safely hard). I will be going with 215/45/17. The roads are very rough where I live and the 45s will protect the wheels and help the ride. I know I will be giving up a little performance though. I been told that I won't have a rubbing issue with the H-sport springs and 215/45/17. I'm looking for a good performance tire that still has a nice ride and isn't too loud. I want them to be safe and being good in the wet is important too.

I will be getting a 15'' wheel and tire set for autocrossing so these tires will see No race time. Thanks for any opinions on these tires. :smile:

Old 11-05-2005, 11:46 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
I have Kumho 215/50-16s. I also live with rough roads and wanted some cushion for both the lightweight wheels and my person. I can't compare with Goodyear but they have felt much more responsive than the original Dunlop runflats. And in the same number of miles my runflats got 3 flats and my Kumhos haven't lost any air. However a MINI mechanic I trust recommends Bridgestones.

Old 11-05-2005, 11:52 PM
wseattlemini
2nd Gear
Check out the latest car&driver mag. Extensive tire test article. Good info.

The Goodyear GS-D3 won overall. Excelled in the wet.

Old 11-06-2005, 10:05 AM
Coopernicus
3rd Gear
Sorry for the length of this post, but maybe it will help you...

I have used Kumho Victoracer tires for years of autocrossing on 2 previous cars, and have nothing but great things to say for them. I have also had the older-model Kumho Supra 712's on a Civic Si street car. They were just OK - really nothing special. I have not used the MX's though.

However, BOTH of my current cars (a Porsche Boxster S and VR-6 VW GTi) are shod with the Goodyear GS-D3's for general street use, which for me always means 'spirited' use. But I also tend to do alot of highway driving to work and around town, in all kinds of weather.

All I can say after having the GY's on these 2 cars is that I WILL - without hesitation - install the GS-D3's on my '06 JCW MCS when it gets here in a month. I have read the new Car&Driver article about these 'Max Performance' tires, and could not agree more with their conclusions - they echo my experience exactly. I have been MORE then pleased with these tires, especially the rain performance which is amazing. They are quiet, last a long time, ride pretty well and are reasonably priced if you catch one of Goodyear's frequent $50-60 rebates or gift card offers when you buy 4 of them.

You can easily confirm my impressions by reading the TireRack.com reviews of this tire, and pay particular attention to the 'Max Performance tires' comparison chart that is generated from ACTUAL users with millions of miles of driving. The MX's generally finish mid-pack in comparison, across most of the judged categories.

The ONLY area which the GY's are not class-leading is Steering Response, as the directional tread pattern tends to resist initial turn-in more then other tires, so it feels a bit sluggish to respond when you initially turn the wheel. But that is only in comparison to the other Best-in-Class Max Performance tires (Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position, Michelin Pilot Sport, etc), so I wouldn't let that discourage you - it is easily overcome and really not a problem on a car with such lightning-quick turn-in as the MINI.

Finally, prior to the introduction of the GS-D3 model, I wouldn't have wished Goodyears on my worst enemy. I have always had Zero respect for their passenger tire offerings. However, the GS-D3 model was engineered and is made in Germany by the former Dunlop group to be their newest Max Performance tire for the European market (Dunlop was bought by Goodyear along with Sumitomo). Luckily for us, the Goodyear people were smart enough to realize how special this tire was, and decided to simply change the name on the side to Goodyear and leave the rest of this excellent design alone.

Needless to say, I feel you will be VERY please overall with the Goodyears...

Old 11-06-2005, 03:28 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
Thanks so much for the replys. I think I will be getting the Goodyears after the feedback here and the great reveiws they got on Tire Rack from MINI owners. Thanks Coopernicus for taking so much time, it really helped!

Old 11-08-2005, 10:51 PM
tontobird
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just upgraded from the Yokohama AVS ES100s (went through 2 sets) to the Goodyear F1 GS D3s. I am very pleased. Won't echo all that was said, but you'll like them.

BTW, according to the Tire Rack, the 215/17/45s are 22 pounds.

Old 11-11-2005, 03:03 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
22lbs is great. Thanks for the correction.

Old 11-11-2005, 03:29 PM
wseattlemini
2nd Gear
FYI- I have a Pirelli eufori@ mounted on an S-lite wheel: 49lbs (spare)
I am running Goodyear GS-D3 mounted on S-lite wheel: 49lbs.

So much for any weight savings. But the much improved performance is worth it.

Old 11-11-2005, 03:33 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
The Ro_Ja LT5s are a little over 14 lbs so I should save some weight.

Old 11-11-2005, 09:20 PM
Coopernicus
3rd Gear
-- MINI Monkey --

When will your car get it's new shoes?

I would love to hear your initial impressions when you have a chance to put enough mileage on them to scrub the release compound off and get down to 'the good black stuff'.

Give us a report and piccy when you can... ~~PLEASE~~

Old 11-11-2005, 10:02 PM
MINI Monkey
5th Gear
I had a small flaw in one of the wheels and had to send it back. I'm waiting on the new one to get here. I will be ordering the tires as soon as I have the wheel. I hope to get them on in a week or so. I will give my opinion ASAP. Thanks for all the help. I really appresiate it. I can wait to get them on......

Old 11-14-2005, 10:18 AM
gravedgr
4th Gear
It looks like the GS-D3 doesn't come in 215/35-18 (which is what I have now). Is 225/35-18 or 225/40-18 a good option?

Old 11-14-2005, 03:10 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gravedgr
It looks like the GS-D3 doesn't come in 215/35-18 (which is what I have now). Is 225/35-18 or 225/40-18 a good option?
225 is wide!

Alex

Old 01-09-2006, 08:49 PM
Mastersonics
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MINI Monkey
I had a small flaw in one of the wheels and had to send it back. I'm waiting on the new one to get here. I will be ordering the tires as soon as I have the wheel. I hope to get them on in a week or so. I will give my opinion ASAP. Thanks for all the help. I really appresiate it. I can wait to get them on......

any news on the tires?
I'm in the fence between
Good Year's GS-D3's and the Bridgestone's SO3's
I've heard a lot of good stuff on both tires.

MINI MONKEY
any description on the performance will be apreciated
regards,
Charles

Old 01-09-2006, 09:03 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Echo me on the original comparisons..

The GS-3Ds are pretty bitchen. Can't comment on comparisons to the S03s though... Aren't eh S03s more expensive?

Matt

Old 01-10-2006, 05:54 AM
mtbscott
6th Gear
I have not tried the Goodyears but have experience with S-03's and Kumho MX's on other cars besides my MINI. The worst thing about the Bridgestones was noise, the more they wore, the louder the howling. It's one of those things you don't notice at first since it's gradual, but when you get new tires, you notice the huge difference. I first tried out the Kumho's on my M3 after seeing every other E46 M3 at an autocross using them. I was kind of surprised they rated low in C & D's latest comparison, I've really enjoyed their grip and feel, also relatively long lasting and cheap. I purchased Toyo T1R's for the MINI before I got the car, and they seem to be working fine. I got them prior to the C & D test so when they're gone, I might try something else. One thing in general, tires for MINI's are a good buy. Don't complain about prices until you start shopping for the big meats on the M3.

Old 01-10-2006, 08:02 AM
JeffS
5th Gear
I think you'll be happy either way. I personally chose the MX's, but that's because I'd owned them before and they were a known quantity.

I'm happy with the performance, price, and look. I wasn't happy with them as track tires (at full tread), but that's a different story.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Spitfire
3rd Gear
Another Goodyear vote.

I'll be replacing my 17 " Dunlop 9000s with Goodyear F1 non runflat. I have had good luck with Goodyear on the street and on the track.

Old 01-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Mastersonics
3rd Gear
Goodyear GS-D3 it is!

now the most important part

215/45/17
or
215/40/17

I will be using it for spirited street ONLY
since my car is a 2005 MCS Cabrio

I've read somewhere that the 215/40/17
will not handle the weight of the Mini and
that the tire pressure is borderline.

would it be safe to say that the
215/40/17 is of similar height of a 205/45/17
since the middle numbers (40/45)
describes the % height from the tire width

did that made any sense?

please let me know
regards,
Charles

Old 01-28-2006, 09:39 AM
Stevie B
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wseattlemini
FYI- I have a Pirelli eufori@ mounted on an S-lite wheel: 49lbs (spare)
I am running Goodyear GS-D3 mounted on S-lite wheel: 49lbs.

So much for any weight savings. But the much improved performance is worth it.
I hope so considering you went from an average performing all-sesaon tire to a max performing summer tire. Yeah, that's fair. Is it me???

Old 01-28-2006, 09:47 AM
Stevie B
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Coopernicus
All I can say after having the GY's on these 2 cars is that I WILL - without hesitation - install the GS-D3's on my '06 JCW MCS when it gets here in a month. I have read the new Car&Driver article about these 'Max Performance' tires, and could not agree more with their conclusions - they echo my experience exactly. I have been MORE then pleased with these tires, especially the rain performance which is amazing. They are quiet, last a long time, ride pretty well and are reasonably priced if you catch one of Goodyear's frequent $50-60 rebates or gift card offers when you buy 4 of them.
I was born (1962) and raised in Charlotte. Grew up near SouthPark Mall. Still have family there. Charlotte has never been a town that people excessively speed in. Probably never will be. Too many patrol cars and too much radar.

Anyway, which tires are coming on your MINI? I may be interested.

Old 01-28-2006, 12:14 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Go with the 215-45......

Originally Posted by Mastersonics
Goodyear GS-D3 it is!

now the most important part

215/45/17
or
215/40/17

I will be using it for spirited street ONLY
since my car is a 2005 MCS Cabrio

I've read somewhere that the 215/40/17
will not handle the weight of the Mini and
that the tire pressure is borderline.

would it be safe to say that the
215/40/17 is of similar height of a 205/45/17
since the middle numbers (40/45)
describes the % height from the tire width

did that made any sense?

please let me know
regards,
Charles
Everytime I forget to keep an eye on tire pressures, I knock the crap out of the car with the 215-40s. 40-45 is a bit over a 10% difference in wall height! You're talking about a centimeter taller tire. The wheels, chassis etc will thank you for it....

And Stevie B, what's the point of the "is it me?" comment? TONS of people have appreciated the enhanced traction of max performance non-run flats... What's the problem? Can't people chose to trade tire life for traction without catching crap?

Matt

Old 01-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Stevie B
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
And Stevie B, what's the point of the "is it me?" comment? TONS of people have appreciated the enhanced traction of max performance non-run flats... What's the problem? Can't people chose to trade tire life for traction without catching crap?
I must be infringing upon your turf. A thousand pardons.

Old 01-28-2006, 01:17 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I don't need an apology...

I just didn't understand your reference...

Matt