Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Teach me a bit about brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 06:13 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teach me a bit about brakes?

I've been on Tire Rack's site looking at Tires, Brakes, etc. Not only for my MINI, but I started looking into stuff for my 2001 PT Cruiser and my husband's 2005 Nissan Titan Crew Cab.
I think I've decided on the tires for my MINI, I've narrowed it down to either a Dunlop Direzza or Yokohama ES100, but I have a few weeks before I get my MINI, so no rush on that.
My PT Cruiser will stay here and will eventually be my teenage son's car for school.
What are the parts of the brakes that need to be replaced? How many miles should they last? The PT has 50,000 plus miles on it and has the original everything (I think, I'll have to check to be sure).
Any tips on shopping for brakes and brake stuff would be truly appreciated!
Thanks,
Annette

Old 11-12-2005, 06:29 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The MINI has very good stock brakes.

In general, you should replace pads and rotors at the same time. Some people try to re-use the rotors but I would not do this.

For the average MINI owner, switching out the stock pads for aftermarket pads has one really big advantage: less brake dust. I am using the Hawk pads that you can get at tire rack.

They produce a LOT less brake dust and this makes cleaning the wheels much easier and they stay looking good longer. I still have OEM pads on the rears and they get a lot dirtier quicker.

Performance of the Hawks is said to be better too.. . .

I also bought a set of those slotted rotors. Don't notice one darn thing diffrent except that they look cool. I'd save my money next time and just get stock rotors. If I am going to spend extra money on brakes other than better pads, I'll get a big brake kit. . .

Old 11-13-2005, 03:01 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Sorry to not answer any of your questions, but for your son's sake, give him the MINI instead of the PT cruiser!!!!!!!!

Please?

Ok, better idea, sell the cruiser and give him the old and tired 06 so you can buy a brand spankin' newly designed 07!

mb

Old 11-14-2005, 05:36 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Not even!

My son is going to buy the PT from me. Plus he'll pay for maintenance and the insurance. It will be a great car for him since it's been totally babied, has a very versatile set up for hauling stuff, Lacrosse gear and fellow players among other things. It's only a 4 cylinder, so I'm not too worried about him trying to show off in it. I've upgraded the exhaust and added a cold-air intake which gave it a bit more pep and helped with fuel economy. Considering that so many kids at his school are given cars, and way too nice ones as far as I'm concerned, I think the PT will be just fine until he can afford his own MINI, which he is dying for!
Annette

Old 11-14-2005, 08:12 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Ok, fine that was a really awesome answer which makes complete sense. I was just tryin' to stick up for the offspring.

Kudos to you for making him pay for it.

Now the key is to let him drive the MCS every so often to wet his pallette just enough to make him want to buy it from you when he graduates college! Then you can get another one! Ahh the manipulation of children is grand, isn't it? JK!

mb

Old 11-14-2005, 01:06 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Well,

one of my rationalizations for buying the MINI was that I needed a car with a manual transmission so I could teach my son to drive one. I mean what sort of mother would I be if I didn't provide him with a completely well rounded driver's education???? And someone has to go to the BMW driver's school with me, although at this rate I think our entire family would sign up for that one!
Annette

Old 11-14-2005, 04:33 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BoCRon
And someone has to go to the BMW driver's school with me
Ok you stay right there, I'll PM you the adoption papers! Oh yea, I'm 24 so it won't be too much for you to worry about - you know, self-sufficient, out of the house, full time job, all that jazz. Wanna be my mommy?

I have to convince my dad to come to those with me, and he has a perfectly good, non-driven e46 325 sitting in his garage! There was clearly a mix-up at the hospital, let's look into it

mb