Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

konig rewind? yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 09:04 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick-Anderson
OMG, I had the alignment done at Clark's House of Suspension in Lake Forest and, combined with the 15's, my MINI is as comfortable to drive as my Jetta! And the handling has not suffered as far as I can tell - I took it over the Ortegas last weekend

I am going on a road trip up to Northern California, Oregon, and Washington, so I am very happy that my dental fillings won't rattle out somewhere along the way!
That's what i have been telling everyone....15's come with lots of positives and you dont have to sacrifice performance and looks. I'm glad that some people are jumping on the 15's train

Old 09-02-2006, 04:30 PM
atomtbomb
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just went to American/Discount Tire this afternoon to place an order for some Rewinds and BFG G-Forces, but they said they couldn't order me a set, that they must be discontinued. Looks like I'll have to go with Goodwin. I was really hoping to just order the whole shebang at once and have it all taken care of.

Old 09-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Bullfrog
4th Gear
Konig still shows them on their website, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Maybe Discounttire is just out of them.

http://www.konigwheels.com/catalog_s...CHOOL%20WHEELS

Old 09-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Toowiley
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by atomtbomb
I just went to American/Discount Tire this afternoon to place an order for some Rewinds and BFG G-Forces, but they said they couldn't order me a set, that they must be discontinued. Looks like I'll have to go with Goodwin. I was really hoping to just order the whole shebang at once and have it all taken care of.
That's the set up I have and I really like it. Had to go with Goodwin and discount tire direct and have a local place mount and balance too, kind of a pain but in the end worthwhile. It would be nice if there was a place that could do it all.

Old 09-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Crusoe
4th Gear
Well my MA messed my order up and I got the 5 spoke rockets vs the Delta spokes. Sooo I'll be getting rewinds earlier than expected.

I'm leaning towards the graphite for my PW/PW MC but the chrome is nice too.
I haven't seen anyone here with either on a PW.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:31 PM
justintime
6th Gear
is that gunmetal with a polished lip? and how much do these badboys weigh??? I want I want

Originally Posted by RallyMINI
DO IT!!

more temptation...

Old 11-27-2006, 10:52 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by justintime
is that gunmetal with a polished lip? and how much do these badboys weigh??? I want I want
Yes, that's the anthractite with the polished lip (the other option is silver. those are the only two color combinations).

Quoted weight is 14.6 lbs for the Rewinds (15x7 is the only size)

Old 12-02-2006, 03:00 PM
zonker
Neutral
Does anyone know if the Rewinds will accommodate the new M14 wheel bolts?? I have a set of Konig Holes and the M14 fits fine. I want to put a set of Rewinds on a new 07 MCS and they will all have the larger M14 bolts.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:00 PM
redrocket
4th Gear
rick: i have a CR/W MCS too, and am considering the rewinds, mind to show a pic of your full car wearing the rewinds

Old 12-02-2006, 07:14 PM
blalor
6th Gear
I've been using them on my 10-2006 build MCS with no problems. They use the stock lug bolts, so fitment is not an issue.

Old 12-03-2006, 05:36 AM
zonker
Neutral
Originally Posted by blalor
I've been using them on my 10-2006 build MCS with no problems. They use the stock lug bolts, so fitment is not an issue.
Thanks blalor,
I was hoping that Konig was consistent with the size of the mounting holes on their wheels. Now I won't be so nervous ordering before the car arrives.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:07 AM
gt6
5th Gear
OK, so now that I've finally decided to get these, and checked with the local Discount Tire to be sure they can get them (they can), I can't decide on the silver or the graphite. I've always liked the looks of the graphite and today I've been through this whole thread again to check pics, etc. Now I'm waivering between the two. Guess I'll sleep on it and see how I feel in the morning.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:12 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
As someone who has a silver roof and owned the graphite rewinds, I would go with graphite.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:25 PM
ipro
1st Gear
I'd originally attempted to order the graphite from Discount Tire, but they got the silvers. I was not aware of the mistake until they were already on the car with tires mounted. At first I was not thrilled, but took them anyway... They've grown on me quite a bit, and are often compared to the old school mini lites. I get plenty of compliments on them. Still not sure if I would have preferred the graphite though (for my PS/Bk MCS)... I am sure about loving the 15" size though!

Old 01-11-2007, 03:12 PM
jkollson
1st Gear
Konig Rewinds

According to Discount Tire, 16" Rewinds are now available for the Mini.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:13 PM
blalor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ipro
I'd originally attempted to order the graphite from Discount Tire, but they got the silvers. I was not aware of the mistake until they were already on the car with tires mounted. At first I was not thrilled, but took them anyway... They've grown on me quite a bit, and are often compared to the old school mini lites. I get plenty of compliments on them. Still not sure if I would have preferred the graphite though (for my PS/Bk MCS)... I am sure about loving the 15" size though!
I had nearly the same problem; I just failed to specify the color and ended up with silver. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to give them up when I go for a big brake kit this spring. :(

Old 01-11-2007, 04:40 PM
gt6
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jkollson
According to Discount Tire, 16" Rewinds are now available for the Mini.
Are you sure? According to the Konig web site they are only available in 15".

Doesn't really matter to me, I'm looking forward to the 15's and think they look very good on the MINI. The additional comfort afforded by the 15's should really be noticeable after ditching the 16" runflats.

After thinking things over, I'm sticking with my initial choice and going with the graphite. I'm sure the silver would look good as well, especially with the silver hood and bonnet stripes, but the graphite just looks so sharp.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:14 PM
vader
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gt6
Are you sure? According to the Konig web site they are only available in 15".
I've seen a 16X7 4X1.25 zero offset Rewind for 240Zs on ebay. Too bad they won't fit a MINI.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:36 PM
84im
3rd Gear
I just went to Konig's website. They only show a 15 inch wheel for Rewinds (in any bolt pattern).

Old 08-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Vanwall
4th Gear
After wondering whether it would be a good idea, I've taken the plunge and went with the Silver Rewinds, with Kumhos 205-50-15SPT ULTRAS , that Good-Win was offering as a package deal. I live near them, and it was a quick pick-up at their facility, and the Good-Win guy even had the correct 56mm hubcentric rings - he said so many MINI's had bought the Konigs, they started stocking them. ;-) Did the brakes after work and had the wheels on the next day - very nice looking, and the ride is light-years improved over the 5-Stars I had. Going up to the Seattle area next week, and this should make for nice drive. Thanks for all the input from this thread - made it easy to make the change.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:55 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About to order the graphite Rewinds from www.discounttiredirect.com

Somebody please reassure me that I don't need the $70 kit with new lug bolts to install these wheels. The website says they are needed, as did the salesman I spoke with a few days ago. However, several post have said the original stuff works fine. I have the 16" factory MINI 5-star wheels now on my 03 MC. Will the wheel hardware for these wheels work on the Rewinds...and if so, to look OK do you still need the chrome bolts that come with the kit.

I don't really want to spend $70 if it isn't absolutely necessary.

Thanks

Old 09-02-2008, 10:47 AM
pauliekeys
5th Gear
If you have a Discount tire store in your town, you should ask them if they could beat the "on line store price". If they won't beat it, no worries, just buy them from the online store ! You could start with asking the local store to throw in the "$70.00 kit" plus free mounting and balancing. I worked out a better deal then the on line store was offering when I was buying a set of tires. The store in town were willing to beat the price of the on line store by a little and then threw in free mounting and balancing as well !

If you really do need the new lug bolts, it might be a good time to change out the bolt's with a "lug nut kit". Changing over to the lugs is about the same price as this "$70.00 dollar kit". I changed out the bolts for a "lug nut conversion" and wish I had done it a couple of years earlier ! Makes working with the wheels much much easier !

Originally Posted by resmini
About to order the graphite Rewinds from www.discounttiredirect.com

Somebody please reassure me that I don't need the $70 kit with new lug bolts to install these wheels. The website says they are needed, as did the salesman I spoke with a few days ago. However, several post have said the original stuff works fine. I have the 16" factory MINI 5-star wheels now on my 03 MC. Will the wheel hardware for these wheels work on the Rewinds...and if so, to look OK do you still need the chrome bolts that come with the kit.

I don't really want to spend $70 if it isn't absolutely necessary.

Thanks

Old 09-02-2008, 03:38 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Just got off the phone from Discount Tire. I ordered the Rewinds in graphite with 195-60-15 tires. The tires are Faken 912's, and I know I may have messed up getting the 60's.....but, they were much cheaper than 55 or lower profile, and the diameter is 24.3" vs 24.44, (pretty close), for the stock 16" 5-spokes. All I do is cruise around, hopefully they will be fine.

I didn't order the $70 bolt kit, hope I don't need it.

There is no Discount Tire store within 100 miles of me.

Oh, $696 total cost.

Goodbuy runflats at last.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:53 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Originally Posted by resmini
Just got off the phone from Discount Tire. I ordered the Rewinds in graphite with 195-60-15 tires. The tires are Faken 912's, and I know I may have messed up getting the 60's.....but, they were much cheaper than 55 or lower profile, and the diameter is 24.3" vs 24.44, (pretty close), for the stock 16" 5-spokes. All I do is cruise around, hopefully they will be fine.

I didn't order the $70 bolt kit, hope I don't need it.

There is no Discount Tire store within 100 miles of me.

Oh, $696 total cost.

Goodbuy runflats at last.
Cool. Let us know how it turns out AND DON'T FORGET THE PICS!!

Old 09-03-2008, 05:11 AM
resmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dickdavid
Cool. Let us know how it turns out AND DON'T FORGET THE PICS!!
I'm hoping they will be here Friday, and that Gustav will have dumped all the rain it's going to on us by then.

Pictures will be posted.

Quick Reply: konig rewind? yay or nay?