Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Very bad experience with Tire Rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 10:00 AM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very bad experience with Tire Rack

Today I called Tire Rack to get my M+S RFLT tires fitted back on my car. I was on the phone for like 30min, and it seemed they were blowing me off b/c i didn't want to buy anything. First they told me that they closed 1pm. Then I talked to another person that told me 2:30PM, they changed their hours in one phone call more than I change underwear in one month. Then they gave me adrian who I don't like at all and who has argued with me before all b/c I'm a kid and I don't know *****, according to him. Today was the last straw, I will probably never go to Tire Rack again. I am very disappointed in their customer service.

Chili

Old 11-19-2005, 10:34 AM
Funk_Flex
5th Gear
Sorry to hear that.

I don't get it. I would expect that kinda behavior from a neighborhood tire shop when you bring in a tire purchased from Tire Rack to be installed.

A number of years ago, they charged me for a wheel/tire package that I never got b/c UPS damaged it during shipping. I told them to take the charge off my card since I never physically received the damaged wheel/tire and I sent the rest back. But they refused. But they finally credited my account when I told them I'll just dispute the charge with my credit card company.

Old 11-19-2005, 11:00 AM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
I just was thinking about not gong there until I talked to adrian. He, I believe is the owners son, but I think as soon as his dad kicks the bucket it would be a smart decision to kick his a$$ out. Back when I had my BFG KDW 2s put on my current r90s he said I that I don't know what I am talking about b/c I wanted 205/35-40s on my car instead of the 45s, and that it would screw my car up, but tons of people on this forum have done the same thing I want to do and haven't had a problem. He said they don't allow you to vary, but then he told me that I should put 205/55 dunlop m3 winters on my s-bricks, instead of the Gdyr stock RFLTs, I couldn't believe that he just told me I couldn't and then told me that I should put tires that are 10 taller than the stock when I couldn't in his opinion go 5 lower on my performance. He is in the wrong position in the company, he should be a paper pusher somewhere, not someone that customers have to deal with. My question is, is why do they sell 18" 19" and I thought even 20" wheels for the MCS when altering the shoulder size on the tire by 5 would dink it up. If he would have explained the reasoning behind it instead of arguing and tell me "we can't do that", I would have been fine, but this pushes my button. Everyone has that stereotype that all kids are stupid and do no research, and don't know anything about anything. I'm tired of it. I'm sorry adrian but I will actually do something with my life instead of being a secretary at a tire franchise.

Old 11-19-2005, 12:25 PM
JeffS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ChiliCooperS
Everyone has that stereotype that all kids are stupid and do no research, and don't know anything about anything. I'm tired of it. I'm sorry adrian but I will actually do something with my life instead of being a MALE secretary at a tire franchise.
Sounds like you've got some stereotypes of your own there...

Old 11-19-2005, 12:37 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
no, I'm just saying that I will have a better job, and that he needs to take care of his stereotypes. Whatever happen to business where the customer comes first?

Old 11-19-2005, 12:40 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
BTW after reflecting I edited it b/c I realized that I was spewing hate b/c I was mad.

Old 11-19-2005, 12:55 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
my point is Tire Rack would have at least one more customer if this guy wouldn't have made me mad. Comments like "Who might be paying for this?" do not fly well with me.

Second point:
People have the going stereotype that kids are stupid. I will hand it to them, a percentage are. None the less though get to know somebody before judging them, especially when they are about to drop one grand at your business. I do that on this forum and in life, u can ask just about anyone on here. The people over at Monteith tire where I'm now going don't have a problem with it and answered all my questions.
The common stereotype especially with me is that I am just a spoiled rich kid, whos mommy and daddy give money to. That they bought me a car. I took a huge risk 3 years ago and invested my life savings of $12000 in the stock market, because it was the only thing I could do to get my car. It paid off. Now I work for my things. I expect respect from every other working individual. This has not happend though.

All I'm saying is that I wish I could get a little respect, I have preached about it before, your actions speak volumes for who you are as a person.

Old 11-19-2005, 02:49 PM
mini552
4th Gear
Maybe not stupid, but some suuuuure are sensitive

Old 11-19-2005, 02:51 PM
RedBaronF2001
2nd Gear
I'm upset with Tire Rack too. I ordered 18" SSR GT7s w/ 215/35/18s and for a $2000 wheel/tire package they sent me cheap plastic centering rings. I emailed both Alex and Luke to ask for metal rings, and have not heard from either of them in weeks.

They are (obviously) most interested in selling new gear, not taking care of current (and repeat) customers.

I will speak with the owners on Monday.

Today I called Tire Rack to get my M+S RFLT tires fitted back on my car. I was on the phone for like 30min, and it seemed they were blowing me off b/c i didn't want to buy anything. First they told me that they closed 1pm. Then I talked to another person that told me 2:30PM, they changed their hours in one phone call more than I change underwear in one month. Then they gave me adrian who I don't like at all and who has argued with me before all b/c I'm a kid and I don't know *****, according to him. Today was the last straw, I will probably never go to Tire Rack again. I am very disappointed in their customer service.

Chili

Old 11-19-2005, 03:05 PM
BigBlueOx
2nd Gear
Old 11-19-2005, 03:29 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
Wowwwwww, now you guys got me scared, getting ready to place an order. I bought my h-sport springs and sway bar from them, and it was a smooth transaction. I guess, you gotta tell them how you want the business to be handled.

Sorry to hear the bad experience, however, things happen. I kind of try dealing with vendors internally, instead of posting them all over the web. But again, you must be very pissed.

Good Luck.

Old 11-19-2005, 04:08 PM
zrwon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RedBaronF2001
I'm upset with Tire Rack too. I ordered 18" SSR GT7s w/ 215/35/18s and for a $2000 wheel/tire package they sent me cheap plastic centering rings. I emailed both Alex and Luke to ask for metal rings, and have not heard from either of them in weeks.

They are (obviously) most interested in selling new gear, not taking care of current (and repeat) customers.

I read somewhere that metal rings are not recommended because they rust and seize on the hubs, I think all wheel manufacturer now only carry the plastic ones, I wish I could find where I had read this at the time, if I do find it I'll pass it on.

Old 11-19-2005, 04:20 PM
zrwon
4th Gear
Here's one, I found doing a Google search:
1010tires.com
Feb 9 2004, 12:59 PM
Actually we've been using plastic hub centric rings for years without any problems. Your car's wheel hub should never get hot enough to melt a plastic hub centric ring. We've actually had more problems with metal hub centric rings. The metal ones can corrode right to the hub.

Old 11-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RedBaronF2001

Contact SSR directly and see what they use.. It is possible that they suggest and use plastic rings...

BBS and OZ wheels have metal rings but those rings have a clip so that they will not lock into the hub..

Old 11-19-2005, 05:19 PM
newbs49
Banned
The center plastic hubs for the SSR's are junk. I have 6 SSR's with the plastic centers and I have one left that stay's on. I only use these on the track so they've been on the car for about 30 track days. I wish someone or SSR would come up with a cap thats worth more then 20 cents.

Old 11-19-2005, 05:29 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have always had good luck with Tire Rack, and Alex has been particularly helpful when I have had questions.

My only complaint is that I have realized that the cost of shipping makes my tires cost the same or even more than if I had my local tire dealer order them.

However, if I was buying a wheel and tire combo package, I'd save a lot of money with tire rack and will certainly continue to be a customer of theirs. . .

Old 11-19-2005, 05:42 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
BTW after reflecting I edited it b/c I realized that I was spewing hate b/c I was mad.
Breath deep, breath deep, it will all go away in the morning. It was just a bad dream .... a dream ....

Old 11-19-2005, 06:56 PM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Breath deep, breath deep, it will all go away in the morning. It was just a bad dream .... a dream ....
yea!

Old 11-19-2005, 07:05 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
huh....all the SSR wheels I've purchased in the past from TireRack
(IntegralsA2 (2 sets), Comps (2 sets), GT3) all have metal centering rings.

Ive bought many other wheels, Mille's (2sets), Fox, Kosei, etc. all came
with metal rings.

but for most people that only run street the plastic ones will do
just fine.

TireRack's been a great place to shop for me. here's why:
1. they know wat's in stock what they dont' have.
2. they can mount tires without scuffing the rim.
3. hunter wheel balanced! (never had issues with vibration)
4. quick turnaround.
5. one-2 days shipping to IL!
6. great online service, great phone support.
7. facility people were very kind when i went there to return a
set, they refunded me everything including the freight.

Old 11-20-2005, 05:55 PM
Mineon
4th Gear
The only problems I've had with Tire Rack in the past are them not wanting to sell me tires in pairs or in sizes outside of what their "recommended sizes" are for a specific application. They usually call me and have some kind of disclaimer I have to agree to before selling me the tires. Its a pain sometimes, but I'm guessing they've had lots of problems in the past with people buying the wrong size tire and then returning them even though it was the customer's fault. In general I don't think Tire Rack (or most tire companies for that matter) are used to dealing with educated customers, and dumb down their responses to the simplest level. I've bought from them many times though, and will continue to do so.

-Keith

Old 11-20-2005, 09:39 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mineon
I don't think Tire Rack (or most tire companies for that matter) are used to dealing with educated customers, and dumb down their responses to the simplest level.
-Keith
dang it, Mikey. j/k hehehe.

Old 11-20-2005, 09:53 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so, where are the tirerack people to dispute this claim?

lol

Old 11-20-2005, 09:54 PM
MSFIT
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mineon
I don't think Tire Rack (or most tire companies for that matter) are used to dealing with educated customers, and dumb down their responses to the simplest level.

-Keith
I think that is true with a lot of places...people are just trying to sell a product..if it is a simple product then they don't need to know a whole lot to sell it even though they might not end up helping the customer/consumer..

Also..companies do not have to have good customer service..(it definitly helps) but remember they have the right to refuse service to you.

At all that..I have used Tire Rack plenty of timesno problems(just order what you need and move on)..and to all who autocross, doesn't Tire Rack like help sponsor SCCA events..I remember putting Tire Rack banner on my windshield at nationals

Old 11-20-2005, 10:08 PM
xxTHIR13ENxx
3rd Gear
Damn man. That story sucks. I'm surprised about that, actually.
When I got my wheels and tires combo from them about 2 years ago, everything went very smooth; also had a set of H&R springs ordered together with the wheels - no problem with that, either.

Only had one call from them and that was because I was ordering another set of tires for my car and they just wanted to make sure if I wanted Runflats or Standard. To me, that was a , because I'd be pissed if I had gotten wrong tires.

Sorry to hear about the problems, and I agree with you, as a kid myself (20 years) people tend to judge you before they know you. My dad included. I blow him away with all the info I get prior to a purchase and how much handling and installation would cost, etc... He's all proud 'cause I "do my homework". lol.

Hope everything works out for you, man.
Take care,
Leo.

Old 11-21-2005, 04:35 AM
RedBaronF2001
2nd Gear
My 17 x 7.5 SSR GT7s (from Tire Rack) have metal centering rings. They came pre-installed by Tire Rack too. I have had zero trouble with them for well over a year and numerous track days.

Originally Posted by kenchan
huh....all the SSR wheels I've purchased in the past from TireRack
(IntegralsA2 (2 sets), Comps (2 sets), GT3) all have metal centering rings.

Ive bought many other wheels, Mille's (2sets), Fox, Kosei, etc. all came
with metal rings.

but for most people that only run street the plastic ones will do
just fine.

TireRack's been a great place to shop for me. here's why:
1. they know wat's in stock what they dont' have.
2. they can mount tires without scuffing the rim.
3. hunter wheel balanced! (never had issues with vibration)
4. quick turnaround.
5. one-2 days shipping to IL!
6. great online service, great phone support.
7. facility people were very kind when i went there to return a
set, they refunded me everything including the freight.

Quick Reply: Very bad experience with Tire Rack