Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Compact spare voids warranty??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 01:52 PM
utahrpm
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compact spare voids warranty??

Stopped by my dealer today to order a compact spare from a Cooper for my week-old S. The parts dept. was having a problem finding the correct part # and called Mini parts tech support. They were told that the compact spare "was not recommended" for the "S". Furthermore, if they sold me one the invoice needed to state that in the case of any suspension, ABS, DSC, etc. problems, the warranty was void!! My helpful (and disbelieving) sales rep is going to contact his technical sources, but in the meantime have any of you guys run into this? I've read that the compact spares from a Civic and maybe an Acura will fit, but I really don't have the time to research it and just wanted to get set p for my non run-flat winter tires. (Do THEY void my warranty too?) Suppose I use gas not supplied by my dealer and have a fuel injuction problem? Not covered? Sorry, getting sarcastic here. I just hate this sort of c__p. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:04 PM
bigpmj
4th Gear
Your MINI dealer will tell you everything voids your warranty. Although I can't imagine that even they would go so far as to say that using a MINI spare wheel would void the warranty. Thats ridiculus.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That sounds like something you would hear at Global Imports in Atlanta. . .

They are the ones that tried to tell me that driving through the mountains on a single weekend trip had voided my warranty on unmodified unaltered stock OEM brakes!

You can save 20% and not have your dealer follow through on their idiotic warranty voiding threats by calling Classic MINI in Ohio (a vendor sponsor of this site) and having them send you one. . . .

Old 12-05-2005, 02:11 PM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they would have a hard time enforcing that since the
MINI and the MCS have the same suspension and brakes
(assuming no Sport Suspension Plus, but what they were
telling you sounds like a "blanket statement" meaning they
would try to apply it to everyone regardless of whether their
car has SS+ or not) and they happily supply and advocate
the use of that same spare on it. The only thing you have to
worry about with a compact spare is that it must never be
used on the front end of a car with LSD, which could tear up
the diff.

I would ask to speak to the zone rep or call MINIUSA.

Old 12-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
To add to Pete's post, the compact spare should not be installed in the front under any circumstances on a front wheel drive car. . .

Old 12-05-2005, 02:31 PM
cabmeister
3rd Gear
Its a better deal if you get just the rim from classic and get the tire from Tire Rack

Old 12-05-2005, 02:45 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by YuccaPatrol
To add to Pete's post, the compact spare should not be installed in the front under any circumstances on a front wheel drive car. . .
Why is that? (Even if one drives slowly and carefully?)

Old 12-05-2005, 02:59 PM
soofle
3rd Gear
Its not the speed that you drive that causes a problem with mounting a donut spare on the drive wheels its the difference in circumference (distance around the outer edge of the tire) Because the donut is so much smaller it causes a significant difference in the rotational speed of the wheels on each side. If this is happening on a drive wheel, this causes the differential (LSD or otherwise) to constantly compensate just as if you were driving in a continuous circle instead of in a straight line. Given time that can lead to premature wearing of the differential components and failure. The same is true for putting a donut on the back of a rear wheel drive or ANY corner of an AWD car. Best bet is to NEVER put a donut on a drive wheel. If your drive wheel is flat, replace it with the tire from the rear of the same side, then put the spare on the rear corner.

Old 12-05-2005, 03:23 PM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Originally Posted by soofle
Its not the speed that you drive that causes a problem with mounting a donut spare on the drive wheels its the difference in circumference (distance around the outer edge of the tire) Because the donut is so much smaller it causes a significant difference in the rotational speed of the wheels on each side. If this is happening on a drive wheel, this causes the differential (LSD or otherwise) to constantly compensate just as if you were driving in a continuous circle instead of in a straight line. Given time that can lead to premature wearing of the differential components and failure. The same is true for putting a donut on the back of a rear wheel drive or ANY corner of an AWD car. Best bet is to NEVER put a donut on a drive wheel. If your drive wheel is flat, replace it with the tire from the rear of the same side, then put the spare on the rear corner.
Woah! OK, I didn't know those skinny donut spares had a smaller diameter! Why the heck don't they make them in the proper diameter?

Old 12-06-2005, 04:32 AM
petecrosby
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ofioliti
Woah! OK, I didn't know those skinny donut spares had a smaller diameter! Why the heck don't they make them in the proper diameter?
'Cause they're "compact" spares.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:27 AM
ofioliti
6th Gear
Originally Posted by petecrosby
'Cause they're "compact" spares.
OK!

Old 12-07-2005, 09:58 PM
utahrpm
Neutral
Thanks guys, good advice. So if the compact spare should not be installed on the front (drive) wheels, what does the Cooper's manual say about that?

Old 12-07-2005, 10:31 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
I've got a Cooper and haven't checked the manual, but the last time there was a flat on an S, I loaned them my spare--we just swapped the rear tire to the front, then put the donut in the rear. Makes sense from a handling issue to keep the front (powered) wheels equal.

Originally Posted by utahrpm
Thanks guys, good advice. So if the compact spare should not be installed on the front (drive) wheels, what does the Cooper's manual say about that?

Old 12-08-2005, 06:36 AM
utahrpm
Neutral
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
I've got a Cooper and haven't checked the manual, but the last time there was a flat on an S, I loaned them my spare--we just swapped the rear tire to the front, then put the donut in the rear. Makes sense from a handling issue to keep the front (powered) wheels equal.
I agree it makes sense from a handling point. I just wonder what "Mr. void your warranty" has to say about it. I don't believe my Boxster manual prohibits installing the compact spare on the drive wheels. I really want to call Bulls--t on the dealer or Mini parts rep.. thanks

Old 12-08-2005, 06:55 AM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
yep, that is a BS

I agree it makes sense from a handling point. I just wonder what "Mr. void your warranty" has to say about it. I don't believe my Boxster manual prohibits installing the compact spare on the drive wheels. I really want to call Bulls--t on the dealer or Mini parts rep.. thanks

Old 12-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
For short distances, a compact spare on the front is generally not an issue. Where it becomes an issue is cars equipped with LSDs. The constant rotational speed difference caused by dissimilar diameter wheels on the 'driving axle' of the car is rough on the LSD. Best to only drive as much as needed to repair the tire, if not, swap the spare onto the rear (of a MINI) if you have some distance to cover.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:44 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
the invoice needed to state that in the case of any suspension, ABS, DSC, etc. problems, the warranty was void!! .
They simply could not support this stance for any component that fails that is common to the MCS and MC. ASC, DSC included. However....they would have solid ground to deny a MCS specific component such as LSD.

They are the ones that tried to tell me that driving through the mountains on a single weekend trip had voided my warranty on unmodified unaltered stock OEM brakes!
To be clear a trip through the mountain's CAN certainly void your warranty if you are uninformed about how to properly brake comming down constant steep grades. This should and would be considered abuse by a dealer. I doubt this is true in your case as you have probably read every post in this forum, as frequent contributor including those that address the subject nonetheless excessive heat build up IS cause for a voided warranty

Old 12-12-2005, 01:44 AM
minirab
5th Gear
Compact spare

A good source for a donut tire to fit the wheel is through a Ford dealer.
They use a 125-70R-15 on most medium and full size Fords. A lot of times
they have new or almost new tires laying around. This is what I did and
the tire (new) cost me only $30.00 mounted to a Ford wheel; I then sold
the Ford wheel for $10.00 - net cost to me for a new tire $20.00

Old 06-09-2006, 04:49 PM
alecmcpherson
Neutral
where would you store a compact spare in my mini S?

Old 06-09-2006, 06:25 PM
polizei
6th Gear
In the boot.

-Cody

Old 06-09-2006, 06:26 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by polizei
In the boot.

-Cody
Looks much better carried on the roof Ala Rallye cars

Old 06-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
Looks much better carried on the roof Ala Rallye cars
I was thinkin strapped to the bonnet like an old range rover . . .

Old 06-10-2006, 07:42 PM
rpob5t
2nd Gear
actually the spare for a chevy cobalt fits perfect (where I sourced mine). its a 15" wheel so it'll clear the front brakes if need be and even the hub is about spot on.

Old 06-10-2006, 07:56 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by alecmcpherson
where would you store a compact spare in my mini S?
Probably the same spot I keep a working compressor (made to work for all cars so it can handle a truck tire or anything under 120 PSI overkill for a MINI but can run off the car , wall or internal battery power), tire guage and Fix-A-Flat. (And my setup probably weighs less too) Gets me to the point where I can have done what I need done to get on the road again.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:03 PM
defylogik
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol

word! never install a spare tire on the drive end of any car. unless you want to start looking into a new differential in about 2k miles.