Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brake Wear Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 07:15 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Brake Wear Indicator

Ok I had some very weird behavior recently with regards to my brake wear indicator.

First off, I swapped out my stock pads with EBC GS about 27,000 miles ago and have had the brake wear sensor DISCONNECTED this entire time.

I bought a set of holies with some Winterforce snow tires (195/60/15) and slapped them on last weekend.

I was running stock Continentals (175/65/15) on holies prior.

When I took it out for a spin (to film my UUC exhaust video as I had just gotten a new digital camera) I felt some slippage. I assumed it was because it was still wet outside and I had DSC on and saw it flash (see video)

Anyways, fast forward to this weekend. I was getting onto the highway last night.....punched it in 2nd gear (with DSC on) under *dry* conditions and then I felt the same "slipping" kind of feeling - as in I was in WOT, could hear the car accelerating.....and then it seemed like the car was putting on the brakes since the engine revs dipped a few times.....

Now last night...the brake wear indicator light came on! But I don't have those suckers connected? And I double checked today and there was no noticeable damage to either sensor (FL, RR) as I had zip tired them secure.

So can anyone tell me WTF is going on here?

Click here to see the video of the engine "braking" and/or "slipping". If you look the DSC light goes off initially...but then the camera pans away and you can't tell if it's going off........

http://homepage.mac.com/machigane13/...Theater11.html

Now as far as I had read, I thought that once the brake light goes on, it requires a dealership visit to reset. Well, while fiddling around with my boost gauge, I left the key in the start position for about 1 minute, and the crazy light decided to turn itself off! But the thing is I don't even have my sensors CONNECTEd for crying out loud!

I thought maybe my parking brake cable was miscalibrated during one of my earlier visits to the dealer (I ended up loosening it up a bit according to the Bentley manual specs) but then I drove from Brooklyn to Tarrytown with DSC OFF this time to see if that made a difference.....and lo and behold the light came on again! Except this time, I didn't notice it coming on when I punched it.

So I think something is definitely awry. I can't figure it out. It only happened after I put on the snow tires...and in general the car feels slower (bigger tires, bigger tread) during accelaration.....

I'd almost say it feels like I'm pushing the car more than the tires can handle. I have a 15% pulley, intake, exhaust (amongst about 1000 other mods)......

Any suggestions?

P.S. I have tons of brake pad left on all four corners....

Old 12-19-2005, 07:10 AM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Bump.

Can anyone help?

TIA.

Old 12-19-2005, 09:05 AM
warchieft2k
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so it does sound weird... one thing to check is your ebrake cable. last time i replaced my rear pads for some reason it was too tide and it was slowing my car down... i had to give it some slack... or make sure the pads are one right...

also remember that when putting on bigger tires u increase the circunference of the tire and it will make the car a little slower specially while lunching...

other than that... im out of ideas...

Originally Posted by LordOfTheFlies
Bump.

Can anyone help?

TIA.

Old 12-19-2005, 09:12 AM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Originally Posted by warchieft2k
so it does sound weird... one thing to check is your ebrake cable. last time i replaced my rear pads for some reason it was too tide and it was slowing my car down... i had to give it some slack... or make sure the pads are one right...

also remember that when putting on bigger tires u increase the circunference of the tire and it will make the car a little slower specially while lunching...

other than that... im out of ideas...
Thanks for the feedback....

I did check my eBrake cable and it was a bit tight. if I had to guess I think I loosened it at least 10 full turns of the 10mm nut. According to the Bentley's manual 1 click should yield no brake drag with 2 clicks of the handle yielding slight brake drag.

Pads are definitely on fine....post eBrake adjustment the light still came on though. Hm......

Old 12-19-2005, 09:19 AM
pooch1
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are punching it if snows it is probably loosing and regaining traction.If not your clutch is slipping.

Old 12-19-2005, 09:42 AM
warchieft2k
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow i cant believe i typed tide instead of tight.... holy... i need to pay more attention when i type jeje

Old 12-19-2005, 09:57 AM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Shoe calling JLM. I need your help!

Thanks for the replies so far guys... I'm really quite confounded.

Old 12-23-2005, 04:58 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
I figured it out with a friend of mine. He watched the video and said that it seemed to him that I was losing boost. He also commented that the brakes depend on the vacuum.....so i must have had a leak somewhere.

And then I remembered I had tinkered around with the air filter the same day I had installed my wheels!!! I hadn't thought anything of it until my friend made the comment.....and so today I just retightend everything and noticed that the hose that attaches to the pipe post-filter looked like it was slightly off.....so I pushed it in a bit.

And so after everything was tightened down I drove around and immediately could tell a difference in the throttle response!

Now the car drives like it should and the light hasn't come back on! Knock on wood.

So lesson learned here: be careful when you're messing around with your intake that everything is super tight!

Old 12-23-2005, 05:18 PM
pooch1
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are the "'Master of your domain" Yoda

Old 12-23-2005, 05:20 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pooch1
You are the "'Master of your domain" Yoda
Thanks...I'm learning more and more every day and enjoying every second of it though at times it is a bit fustrating!!

Old 12-25-2005, 08:37 PM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Ok I counted my chickens before they hatched. Light went off today when I wasn't even hitting WOT....so something else must be up. Light continues to go off if I leave the key in the start position for about 30 seconds.