Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Constant Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 09:43 PM
cooperkid
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Constant Brake Squeal

For the past three weeks my brakes have been squealing like a city bus. I brought my car for a bunch of items this was top on the list, my SA (who's been on the job for 3 months and asked me while staring at my car if my cooper was an S) claimed that there was no sound that there was nothing wrong and that the pads are well within the limits and that they cleaned the brakes. He also said, "oh these Coopers squeal like crazy its the nature of their brakes, I didn't do a ride along in your car so I don't know how loud they are but its normal." Sure enough I pulled off the lot and they were louder than ever.

What do I do to get rid of the squweak? My car is going back in on Tuesday for another issue is there anything I can get them to do, it's starting to kill my ears.

Thanx for the help

Old 12-21-2005, 10:07 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cooperkid
For the past three weeks my brakes have been squealing like a city bus. I brought my car for a bunch of items this was top on the list, my SA (who's been on the job for 3 months and asked me while staring at my car if my cooper was an S) claimed that there was no sound that there was nothing wrong and that the pads are well within the limits and that they cleaned the brakes. He also said, "oh these Coopers squeal like crazy its the nature of their brakes, I didn't do a ride along in your car so I don't know how loud they are but its normal." Sure enough I pulled off the lot and they were louder than ever.

What do I do to get rid of the squweak? My car is going back in on Tuesday for another issue is there anything I can get them to do, it's starting to kill my ears.

Thanx for the help
You're SA doesn't know what he's talking about, take the car back... Better yet, don't wait till Tuesday, call MINI Roadside and make them flatbed the car in. You're brakes are having problems and you're concerned that it's not safe to drive.

Brake squeeling is not a feature and nor is it normal on a MINI...

Old 12-22-2005, 12:45 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I noticed my brakes starting too. I am planning on calling my local dealer in the am, my concern is I only have 14700 miles onthe car and I have been pretty kind to these brakes so I find it hard to believe that they are already worn out. I did a seach and haven't found any info on what usual brake wear is. I wonder if the noise has anything to do woth the super-low temps(currently in IL where its been in the single digits frequently), maybe brakes aren't staying warm, don't think that would cause a noise though. Hope you get it fixed soon, will post my results

Old 12-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Duane
2nd Gear
Brake Noise

The cheap and easy possible solution would be to re-bed in the pads. A procedure can be found here:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...contents.shtml

Other solutions include a set of pads that are known for the low noise. But I will warn you brakes are always a compromise and so in order to gain low noise, more often then not you have to give up some performance.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:27 AM
pooch1
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brake pads are glazed.Before taking it in try a few hard high speed stops on a dry road.Make sure you have lots of room and no other cars around.Best case if this dosnt fix pads will be removed and de-glazed.If they are near service limit replace pads and get calipers serviced.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:58 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pooch1
Brake pads are glazed.Before taking it in try a few hard high speed stops on a dry road.Make sure you have lots of room and no other cars around.Best case if this dosnt fix pads will be removed and de-glazed.If they are near service limit replace pads and get calipers serviced.
Of course it could also be a stuck caliper, something that several members here on NAM have experienced...

Old 12-22-2005, 05:27 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
I would not recommend a high speed stop rght now. Unless you feel like finding out if you your brakes will fail in the most violent way possible.

The stuck caliper is a real issue. It happened to me. it destroyed a rear rotor. (much safer than destroying a front rotor thankfully).... but I wouldn't want it to fail during a high speed run.

The service advisor is full of sh*t.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:40 PM
SB
6th Gear
Does it only happen when your coming to a stop or while driving? Several, including myself, have the problem occur when stopping. The best way I can describe it is it sounds like a dog being beat. Loud modulating squeeling. Not your normal squeek. I was told by the incompetent MINI dealer that the sound could not be duplicated.

I've tried the hard brake method and it didn't work for me.

Best thing to do is carry it back if it's convenient.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I took my MINI, and of course could not reprodue the squeal, the SA said that road salt was probably stuck in the brakes and to return if I heard the nosie again. The SA also checked the brake system twice to make sure that the car was safe and that I had plenty of brake life left, and I took a test drive with the SA, so I knew when I left the the car was safe to drive that said your problem sounds much more serious and I do agree with JCW Driver
The service advisor is full of sh*t.
MINI's are not supposed to squeal and as concerned with proper service MINIUSA makes themselves to be you should definatley report this guy so someone can set him striaght. Find another service tech, or possible nearby dealer (someone who knows how these brakes are supposed to work). Hopefully it will be fixed ASAP

Old 12-22-2005, 10:05 PM
cooperkid
1st Gear
motor on: Thanks for your account, I do have an appointment to bring my car back in on Tuesday, they're keeping it overnight. Unfortunately Mini has not called me on this service, I wonder if they have my number. If they do not resolve the issue on Tuesday I will be calling Mini directly. I spend half my year in Boston so if they do not solve it in Hartford I will bring it in to Boston.