Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Plug, Patch or just get a new tire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 01:20 PM
FLORA BLUE
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plug, Patch or just get a new tire?

On my first MC I had "run flats"...I made a trip from taking the "scenic route" from Key West, Fla to Norfolk, Va, back to KW and then north again about 50 more miles (about 2,000 miles altogether) before I realized I had a nail in the tire. I took it to a tire shop, was treated very well by the techs who plugged the tire for free because it was the first MC they did any kind of work on and off I went with no further problems with the tires.

I got another MC and after telling a friend about the tremendous luck I had with run flats, she said, "That's good, because you have a nail in your tire, again." I couldn't believe it; sure 'nough, she wasn't kidding.

I took it to a local Good Year tire store and the owner told me they aren't allowed to plug the run flats because of some kind of rule which, if he violated it, he could loose his franchise. He said I would have to buy new run flats which go for $330 each, he doesn't carry them and they would have to be special ordered. I took it to the auto repair at Sears and, believe it or not, they told me the same thing about not be able to repair a run flat...and they don't carry them at all, therfore, can't even special order a set for me.

It's not a money issue...I get the feeling they were trying to just sell me new tires thinking I may be a dumb, old broad who wouldn't know any better.

So, my questions are: Is it safe to plug or patch a run flat? When is not safe to patch or plug a run flat and why? Why is it so hard to get new run flats?

Mick

Old 01-25-2006, 01:32 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FLORA BLUE
He said I would have to buy new run flats which go for $330 each,
BS and BS ... See http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?f...q_faq_puncture on patching RFs.

See tirerack.com for a new Goodyear .... about $220.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:35 PM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
funny how I took it to sears and got mine on my bmw X3 fixed

Old 01-25-2006, 01:59 PM
FLORA BLUE
6th Gear
Information is power...

Thanks for the info. If the guy at the Good Year place or Sears would have only explained it to me I would have understood what the source of their angst was. The nail was right on the border of being repairable, from what I could tell from the diagram in the link you provided. So, knowing that, I will order a replacement RF...I may be on borrowed time with the one that was repaired. Once again, thanks...Mick